Did you believe in 1975?

by Masterji 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Masterji
    Masterji

Did you believe that 1975 would see the beginning of the Millennium?

If not, why not?

M

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Course I believed it.
    And acted in accordance with my faith.
    geez...Adams been alone a long time. 26 years and still counting.
    Little wonder then, he said:
    "This is ..AT LAST...flesh of my flesh".

Anybody know if you can count back thru the lines of Adams sons and establish how old Adam was when Seth was born?

• libra_spirit
    libra_spirit

Believe is such a strong word. Lets just say I feared it! It got my attention enough to pioneer and not go to colledge, and to keep shunning the wicked. It controlled my actions for sure.

When it didn't happen I was not that surprised just relieved, because even though I tried so hard to be good enough I never really thought I was doing enough to survive it.

I think of the word belief now as something that feels right because I am doing it out of reason or love. This was never the case then but it didn't matter then because fear was the motivation.

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

No we can't. A genology is completely different from a chronolgy, and although sometimes they can be interchanged, apparently the Biblical Jewish ones cannot. Someone being 'the son of' someone else could mean anything from a son to a great-grandson, and let's not forget 'brother-in-law' marriage, which pre-dated the Mosaic law. Which means somebody's son may not be their son at all.

I think 'the gentile times revisited' and/or 'apocolypse delayed' goes into that in a very nice way. It sure opened my eyes.

See, this is where the Watchtower shows itself to be completely unfit to so much as guide a sled dog team. The scriptures clearly state in two if not more places, not to add or take away from the message that is there. But NO; in an effort to sell more books, the Watchtower substituted the genealogy for a chronolgy, and got itself in tons of trouble, even still today.

In 1975 a crack team of publishers was sentenced to death by a judicial commiteee. They promptly escaped from the cult and now live life on the run. If you have a problem ... and if you can find them ... maybe you can contact the A--postate Team"

• teejay
    teejay

I was five when my mom was baptized in 1962. Ten and in the fourth grade when Martin King was killed. I remember studying the red Life Everlasting and the green (pocket-size) Impossible to Lie books. I was a firm believer and expected the end to arrive sometime prior to the fall of 1975.

My baptismal date? March 17, 1974... just in time!

Don't remind me.

• picosito
    picosito

I was just aware of it but really had my tongue in my cheek the whole time. I simply referred to where Jesus sed "no man knows the day or the hour, but only the Father." I was always somewhat surprised at how most JW's, even Prominent ones, seemed to ignore that quote. Did anyone attend the District Assembly (correct theospeak of its day) at Dodger Stadium in 1975? Wasn't it exciting to experience all the intense hubbub because it was "so close to the end"? I even saw brothers praying over their lunch with such fervor they were standing over their food with arms & hands raised to the heavens. I was about to be baptized and that fervor and zeal sure convinced me that it was the TRUTH!!! Poor me. Later in the congo I felt that established JW's were not too happy to see me because it was proof that "1975" had been a fraud. The ones that had sold their belongings and businesses were especially hard hit. I sort of felt like a "change of life baby."

• proplog2
    proplog2

I pioneered 1964-1966. I had just dropped off the list and decided to go to the Toronto assembly before going to college. They released the Life Everlasting book at the assembly. I read about 1975 and decided to forget college. The dumbest decision of my life.

• picosito
    picosito

Hey proplog2:

So you made a dumb decision. Who hasn't. It may not be too late if you're not terminally ill. The Internet is like Saving Grace from Jehovah. There are lots of online educational sites. You can even get a degree. You can even become a LAWYER. Don't give up. Keep truckin'.

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

I never really believed that 1975 would be "the End", mainly because of the scripture that said that "no man would know the day or the hour". I also figured that Bible chronology could be off, and I though it was ridiculous to settle on a particular date.

Just one more little "problem" that I stuffed in my anomalies bag.

• drahcir yarrum
    drahcir yarrum

RedhorseWoman:

the scripture said "no man knows the day or the hour", not "no organization knows the day or the hour". I'll bet your reliance on scripture hindered your enjoyment of the WT study on Sunday.

I for one am not ashamed to say that I was in high school when this crap came out about 1975 and as a result I pioneered, didn't go to college and turned down what at the time appeared to be some damn fine sex. Then it was off to Bethel where I continued to turn down what appeared to be some damn fine New York sex. Then I married a witness girl and still never got any damn fine sex.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit