Thoughts From A Jew

by shamus100 40 Replies latest jw friends

• snowbird
    snowbird

I heart all things Jewish.

Once, a Jewish lawyer heard me humming and said, "You Black people have some of the most touching hymns on the planet."

Sylvia

• restrangled
    restrangled

I have found them to be wonderful people no matter where they exist with a religion that invokes as much guilt as JW's. A lot of the beliefs are quite close to those of JW's. (Much use of the Old Testament).

We spent close to a month in Israel. In general, people there seemed much more politically minded than spiritual minded...understandably. There were Hasidic, Orthodox, unorthodox and those who did not practice at all. Overall, different from American Jews. A wonderful experience and look into an ancient religion bringing to life many Biblical stories.

r.

• acolytes
    acolytes

Most of my favourite American comideans are Jewish.

To name the first one" Seinfelt"

Acolytes.

• shamus100
    shamus100

Most of my favourite American comideans are Jewish.

Larry David, the co-creator of Seinfeld is just as much of a scream.

I love Curb Your Enthusiasm; one of the best shows on television, by far.

• TD
    TD

Practicing Jews are amused (And sometimes slightly offended) at the ignorance of the average Christian when it comes to ancient Judaism.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/149881/1/Jesus-Pharisees-and-Jehovahs-Witnesses

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Practicing Jews are amused (And sometimes slightly offended) at the ignorance of the average Christian when it comes to ancient Judaism.

Hey TD, thanks for posting that link. I have to admit I am one to of the ex-witnesses that routinely uses the reference of the Governing Body to that of the Pharisees. Gave me food for thought.

• agonus
    agonus

The 3 therapists who have helped me the most in my life (including the wonderful gentleman who is currently helping me with the aftermath of the loss of my JW faith, including my failed marriage and child custody issues) happen to be Jews. Oh, and it just so happens that help from these fellows was arranged by my mom, a devout JW. The irony of this "coincidence" is totally lost on her.

Oy...

• agonus
    agonus

"Practicing Jews are amused (And sometimes slightly offended) at the ignorance of the average Christian when it comes to ancient Judaism."

As comedian Lewis Black is so fond of saying, "Don't tell US what OUR book means. WE were the ones who wrote it."

• minimus
    minimus

I love Jews & Gentiles.

• agonus
    agonus

What I love about the Jews is that everything about them - ESPECIALLY their worship - is so profoundly human. Next to them the Witnesses seem like another species entirely... homo assimilatus...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit