While You Were A JW Did You Feel Controlled?

by minimus 28 Replies latest jw friends

• yknot
    yknot

The word that comes to mind is 'suppressed

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

I was emotionally stunted (and may still be to some extent).

I didn't feel controlled, I just followed the rules. I didn't feel much of anything at all until I was 30 years old.

• minimus
    minimus

Suppressed is a good word!

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

They tell you it is "protection" they use words to brainwash you into believing suppression and control is for you own good. I would often feel suppressed but thought it was because I was a good JW. I can't think for myself stupid they need to think for me!!! sick!!!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

No, I was brought up within The Borg...

Does a canary born in a cage, feel caged?

Does a goldfish feel imprisoned in its aquarium?

It was only when glorious knowledge hit me that I started to experience the freedom of using my mind

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

I remember repeatedly thinking "Why do I spend so much of my life doing things I don't want to do?"

I didn't really allow myself to think any further about who was calling the shots.

• xmkx
    xmkx

I felt like I was being controlled but I did not conscientiously think I was being controlled until I started trying to get out... then it hit me full force how controlled I really was. I DAed and my family still forced me to go to meetings and assemblies!

• semelcred
    semelcred

I went back to be controlled! as my life was out of control!!! How ever l think that life has lessons for us all, not all the time, and i think i needed to learn to take control by realizing that it was missing in my life. I regret not learning the lesson sooner as it would have spared me years and toil but i ve learnt it so i am happy!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Prisoner

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Yes - I felt controlled. But I thought being controlled was correct. The change in my mental state is that I know that many attempt to control me even now - governments, employers, religion, media, drivers, business owners, family, the family dog - yet I understand that I can sort/filter such efforts and do what is right for me. That option was not open to me as a Jw. Or at least I didn't know it was.

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit