Congregation "Bible Study" Comments - Week Commencing 25 January 2010

by LUKEWARM 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• LUKEWARM
    LUKEWARM

*** lv chap. 16 pp. 183-195 Oppose the Devil and His Crafty Acts ***

"Oppose the Devil, and he will flee."-JAMES 4:7.

Q1, 2. For whom are baptisms occasions for joy?IF YOU have been serving Jehovah for decades, you have likely heard numerous baptism talks at our assemblies and conventions. Yet, no matter how often you have been present on such occasions, you likely still feel moved each time you witness the moment that those sitting in the front rows of the auditorium stand up to present themselves for baptism. At that instant, a buzz of excitement ripples through the audience, followed by a burst of heartfelt applause. Tears may well up in your eyes as you look at yet another group of precious individuals who have taken sides with Jehovah. What joy we feel at such times!

"serving Jehovah" or serving the WTS?

"precious individuals who have taken sides with Jehovah" or WTS?

2 While we may witness baptisms a few times a year in our locality, the angels are privileged to observe them much more often. Can you imagine how much "joy in heaven" there must be as they see thousands of individuals worldwide added to the visible part of Jehovah's organization each week? (Luke 15:7, 10) No doubt, the angels are thrilled to observe this increase!-Haggai 2:7.

"may witness baptisms" - mainly children of believers and dwindling numbers of outsiders

More presumptuousness applying Luke 15:7, 10 to JW baptism and calling themselves the "visible part of Jehovah's organization"!

"No doubt" - another WTS buzz word used when you have reason to doubt

THE DEVIL "WALKS ABOUT LIKE A ROARING LION"

Q3. Why is Satan walking about "like a roaring lion," and what does he want to do?3 In stark contrast, however, there are spirit creatures who observe those baptisms with fury. For Satan and the demons, it is galling to see thousands turn their backs on this corrupt world. After all, Satan boasted that no humans serve Jehovah out of genuine love and that none would remain faithful under severe test. (Job 2:4, 5) Every time someone is moved to dedicate himself to Jehovah, Satan is proved wrong. It is as if Satan receives thousands of slaps in the face every week of the year. No wonder he "walks about like a roaring lion, seeking to devour someone"! (1 Peter 5:8) This "lion" is eager to devour us spiritually, causing us to damage or even sever our relationship with God.-Psalm 7:1, 2; 2 Timothy 3:12.

More assumptions made here - that JW are indeed serving Jehovah and not following the dictates of 12 men in Brooklyn.

"thousands baptised as JW's are only ones who "turn their backs on this corrupt world"?

Other Christians endeavouring to live by Bible principles are incapable of proving Satan "wrong"?

Q4, 5. (a) Jehovah has restricted Satan's influence in what two important ways? (b) Of what can a true Christian be assured?4 Although we face a fierce foe, we have no reason to be overwhelmed by fear. Why not? Because Jehovah has restricted the reach of that "roaring lion" in two important ways. What are they? First of all, Jehovah has foretold that "a great crowd" of true Christians will survive the coming "great tribulation." (Revelation 7:9, 14) God's prophecies never fail. Therefore, even Satan must know that God's people as a whole are beyond his reach.

"a great crowd" - a future group composed of only JW's?

"God's people as a whole are beyond his reach" - so individual JW's have no protection?

5 The second restriction can be deduced from a basic truth spoken by one of God's faithful men of old. The prophet Azariah said to King Asa: "Jehovah is with you as long as you prove to be with him." (2 Chronicles 15:2; 1 Corinthians 10:13) Numerous recorded examples demonstrate that in the past, Satan always failed to devour any of God's servants who remained close to God. (Hebrews 11:4-40) Today, a Christian who stays close to God will be able to oppose and even conquer the Devil. In fact, God's Word assures us: "Oppose the Devil, and he will flee from you."-James 4:7.

More old testament examples applied to Christians

Did Jesus not say he would be with Christians not Jehovah? (Mat 28:20)

God's servants only JW's?

"WE HAVE A WRESTLING . . . AGAINST THE WICKED SPIRIT FORCES"

Q6. How does Satan fight against individual Christians?6 Satan cannot win the war, so to speak, but he can make casualties of us as individuals if we let our guard down. Satan knows that he can devour us if he can weaken our bond with Jehovah. How does Satan try to achieve this? By attacking us intensely, personally, and cunningly. Let us consider these main strategies of Satan.

"weaken our bond with Jehovah" or WTS?
    Q 7. Why is Satan intensely attacking Jehovah's people?7 Intense attacks. The apostle John stated: "The whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one." (1 John 5:19) Those words contain a warning for all true Christians. Since Satan has already devoured the entire ungodly world of mankind, he can now focus on and intensify his attacks on those who have so far eluded him-Jehovah's people. (Micah 4:1; John 15:19; Revelation 12:12, 17) He has great anger because he knows his time is short. So he has stepped up the pressure. Today, we face his final rampage of savagery and destruction. Hence, now more than ever, we need to "discern the times to know what [we] ought to do."-1 Chronicles 12:32.

Jehovah's people only JW's?

Do JW's cope better with Satan's "pressure" than they do with WTS "pressure"?

"Today, we face his final rampage of savagery and destruction" - Jesus said nobody knows the day or hour but they have been focusing on the end and saying its around the corner since 1879!

How does the context of 1 Chronicles 12:32 apply to Christians?

Q 8. What does the apostle Paul mean when he states that we have "a wrestling" against wicked spirits?8 Personal wrestling. The apostle Paul warned fellow Christians: "We have a wrestling . . . against the wicked spirit forces in the heavenly places." (Ephesians 6:12) Why did Paul use the term "wrestling"? Because it conveys the idea of hand-to-hand combat and a struggle at close quarters. Thus, by using that term, Paul stressed that each of us has a personal fight with wicked spirits. Whether we live in a country where belief in wicked spirits is prevalent or not, we should never forget that when we dedicated ourselves to Jehovah, we stepped on the wrestling mat, as it were. At least from dedication onward, each Christian is locked in combat. No wonder that Paul saw the need to urge Christians in Ephesus three times to "stand firm"!-Ephesians 6:11, 13, 14.

"personal fight with wicked spirits" - can we do so without the WTS?

"dedicated ourselves to Jehovah" or WTS?

"each Christian" - only a JW?

"from dedication onward, each Christian is locked in combat" - yes to live up to the impossible demands set by the WTS

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

"following the dictates of 12 men in Brooklyn"

If you are referring to the governing body, it consists of 9 men ........

• boyzone
    boyzone

Again another article where the WTS inserts itself as God or Jesus in the minds of dubs. In their minds there's no difference between the two.

How do you cope with knowing all this and still deal with going to the meetings Lukewarm? Can you keep silent when you need to?

Thanks for putting this info up for us by the way, great job!

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Oppose the Devil, and he will flee."-JAMES 4:7

You oppose the devil (WT) by challenging his authority.

Once you unmask any bugger, they will flee. They are powerless over you.

Once you pull back the curtain and dissect the deceit, the monster no longer has any power.

Once you look into the heavens and see what is really there...the heavens will roll up like a scroll and disappear.

One must have the courage to bravely walk up to that devil and pull off his mask. Until you do, you will be his victim and puppet.

Of course, you may tell others what you have discovered under the mask, but it will not be real for them until they take the challenge to meet the fearful thing head on and pull off it's mask on their own.

• LUKEWARM
    LUKEWARM

How do you cope with knowing all this and still deal with going to the meetings Lukewarm? Can you keep silent when you need to?

Cannot keep silent boyzone - I am always goofing around so I get to push a lot of boundaries - I also make sure I have WT quotes to use for the more serious conversations.

Keeping up appearances is difficult but it pains me to leave many good people behind who are uninformed of the real truth - especially family.

All my energy is going into research, creating opportunities for tactful conversation/questions/feedback on matters and presenting snippets of information for their consideration. Once all this ground work is done and they agree with the matters discussed/read and start to think for themselves I then talk about Ray Franz and how I could not believe what the man went through. Most don't know who he is or that he was once a governing body member. Depending on how that conversation goes I say something like: "If you knew something like this I would expect you to tell me about it so that I could make up my own mind about the matter. So, if you like, I will give you his book to read and then you can make up your own mind if there is any substance to his side of the story".

That is how I am doing my bit to disseminate and inform...5 people so far have read both Crisis of Conscience + In Search of Christian Freedom. There is another 4 I am trying to get to the stage where they will read Rays books and then the fade can commence...

I honestly feel that being on the inside and remaining a Jehovah's Witnesses in good standing is the best chance one has at getting them to consider the alternative arguments and aiding them in making an informed decision about the religion.
  • bohm
    bohm

Lukewarm: If i may ask, what effect did it have on them that they read CoC and iSoCF?

• LUKEWARM
    LUKEWARM
    If i may ask, what effect did it have on them that they read CoC and iSoCF?

bohn, progress so far is:

1 - Mrs Lukewarm mentally disengaged (complains about every meeting we attend)
    2 - Mr & Mrs commenced fading
    2 - Mr & Mrs hit and miss with meetings and rarely seen in service (after Crisis only)
    1 - Mr stepped aside as elder, is mentally disengaged and helping other family members
    1 - Mr half way through ISoCF and remains elder...

Important thing is to show and reason with them on WTS publications. Get to know your stuff inside out, show them the quotes and come across that "it troubles you..." That way they are not forced to defend/justify themselves and the information becomes more palatable for them to absorb.

IMHO the key is to try and open their mind to think/question/agree before Mr Franz is introduced...

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde
    You have likely heard numerous baptism talks at our assemblies and conventions. Yet, no matter how often you have been present on such occasions, you likely still feel moved each time you witness the moment that those sitting in the front rows of the auditorium stand up to present themselves for baptism. At that instant, a buzz of excitement ripples through the audience, followed by a burst of heartfelt applause.

I thought JW's are now instructed not to applaud at the baptism.

I found no mention of Jesus in this material, Jehovah was mentioned 13 times, but the Devil or Satan or wicked spirits were mentioned about 18 times. Would you say the Devil and his demons are an obsession?

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

IF YOU have been serving Jehovah for decades, you have likely heard numerous baptism talks at our assemblies and conventions. Yet, no matter how often you have been present on such occasions, you likely still feel moved each time you witness the moment that those sitting in the front rows of the auditorium stand up to present themselves for baptism. At that instant, a buzz of excitement ripples through the audience, followed by a burst of heartfelt applause. Tears may well up in your eyes as you look at yet another group of precious individuals who have taken sides with Jehovah. What joy we feel at such times!

I started studying this last night, my meeting is a few nights from now. This lesson is nine paragraphs only, and this paragraph was so ridiculous, that I only made it to paragraph 5. I just couldnt stomach finishing it. When I hear the baptism talks, I try to predict what the speaker will say next. I'm right about 60% of the time. I've heard the outline far too many times to get emotional. Its all been pretty routine. Its as routine to me as the parking attendents sticking out there left hand pointing me to go right. The only time the batismal talk wasnt routine for me, was one of last years Circuit Assemblies, when the speaker asked the batismal candidates to stand, nobody stood which was a first for me. I've never seen that. The following Convention, we had a few that stood, and many were teenagers. Call me jaded, but my first thought was, "I wonder how many will be on reproval or disfelloshipped come this time next year..hmm....." Sorry, I just don't see the joy in any of this any longer.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I never felt any joy for those getting baptized--toward the end, I would hope to see precisely zero baptisms. As for Satan not being able to win the war, why do the witlesses have such a morbid dread for him? If Jehovah is such a protection against Satan, then why do the witlesses need to worry so much about Satan?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit