A Beautiful Mind

by messenger 24 Replies latest jw friends

• teejay
    teejay

One of the morals of the movie was very clear and powerful.

As certain we might be that the WTS does not have the answers for us – we may even feel that the organization is corrupt and evil – still, because of our long-term investment of time and interest with it, its influence over us comes with us into our new life away from the borg and remains with us for many, many years.

At one time, we had many ideas that were as true to us as if they were living beings. Over time, sometimes painfully to us, in our separation from the WTS we had to rid ourselves of those ideas mentally, yet their influence over us may continue to be strong. Celebration of holidays, voting – a wide range of beliefs and activities once felt improper – we may still shy away from. We are uncertain, almost unwilling to shed those old, mistaken ideas. Now no longer a believer, we often continue to act as if we were. Those wrong teachings follow us as if they were real.

Nash came to accept this truth about himself. The trio that followed him since his college days did so throughout his life. What changed was his view and treatment of them and the level of his submission to their influence and control. Yes, they were still ‘there,’ he still ‘saw’ them, but he did saw that it was up to him whether or not he talked to them or otherwise interacted with them. He knew their reality existed only in his mind and so, were not real.

ExJWs will be able to see a very good analogy between that and the ‘truth’s we learned years ago. It is a movie worth seeing.

• DIM
    DIM

I thought it was an above average movie, but Russell Crowe's accent was beyond terrible. Sometimes you couldn't even tell what he was saying.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Dim,

You said: "I thought it was an above average movie, but Russell Crowe's accent was beyond terrible. Sometimes you couldn't even tell what he was saying."

I believe he was imitating a schizophrenic's monotone. Any schizophrenic that I have known has a similar tonal quality to their voice consisting of a monotone and low pitch, as if they are sharing a secret with you.

Robdar

• waiting
    waiting

Hey y'all,

I went with my husband to see "A Beautiful Mind" - and we both enjoyed it immensely. R. Crowe did a fine job of playing the Virginian young genius, the paranoid, the total instability of a mind crushed for decades, then overcoming it to have a life.

I didn't know that he wasn't allowed to personally accept his Nobel prize - doesn't say much for the learned persons who wanted to acknowledge his genius - just not his presence.

As for his wife? I wondered about her awesome capacity to raise a child and care for a husband her entire life. Mostly without outside support, almost too much for one human. Guess it was for her.

If the movie is taken just for the straight story of mental illness in our society - it was powerful. The many ways others viewed him, from laughter, pity, anger, understanding. All were there. Of course, I believe his ability to finally cope had to do with his genius mind. I believe the average person might have a much more difficult time adjusting to life with no medication.

And his ability to accept himself as he was, and live life in spite of it, was the overpowering message to me. Marvelous acceptance.

waiting

• julien
    julien
    I thought it was an above average movie, but Russell Crowe's accent was beyond terrible. Sometimes you couldn't even tell what he was saying.

I thought he sounded like judge Herman Munster in My Cousin Vinny..

• teejay
    teejay

And his ability to accept himself as he was, and live life in spite of it, was the overpowering message to me. Marvelous acceptance.

Same here, waiting.

Sometimes, my past as dub rears its head without me meaning for it to. It comes at odd times. I not only feel bad from the memory it brings, but I feel silly for having thought of it in the first place.

Although I knew it already, the movie reminded me that it's okay if I have memories of that former life... that it's okay if the mark those days made on me lingers until now. It's okay, just as Nash saw those ghosts on the night of his Nobel award and accepted them as part of who he was... probably a part of who he would always be.

A powerful message.

peace,
    tj

• patio34
    patio34

Messenger,

I saw the movie yesterday and think your analogy to our lives as xjws to the 3 characters in Nash's mind was BRILLIANT!

It fits so well: the girl with family tugs on our heart strings; the friend who was always supportive with what the jws SAY they do; and the 'big brother' (ha! get it? "brother?") demanding more and more of you! AND that so many people's lives depend on your (puny) efforts! So many similarities.

Great ideas! THANKS!

Pat

"It's easier to put on slippers than to carpet the world." (from "Stuart Saves His Family")

• patio34
    patio34

Just was thinking about your analogy to the JWs some more, Messenger. The 'big brother' guy also was always telling him he WOULD DIE if he left. That the enemies would get him if he left.

So many comparisons. Thanks!!!

Pat

"It's easier to put on slippers than to carpet the world." (from "Stuart Saves His Family")

• teejay
    teejay

For those that are interested, John Nash will be interviewed on Sixty Minutes tomorrow night.

• patio34
    patio34

Thanks Teejay--I'm interested in seeing that.

Pat
    UADNA (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit