Elders Contempt for the Old & Disabled

by LittleSister 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• LittleSister
    LittleSister

As they get older many loyal JWs find it hard to get to the meetings due to poor health and disability , my mother falls into this category. There are also others who are disabled or unable to physically be at meetings from time to time.

For many years our congregation taped the meetings and distributed these tapes so all could enjoy the spiritual food of the meetings. Yes the tapes were often terrible quality and no one understood the need to tape the music (no singing just music), but at least my mother got to listen.

Then things changed the tapes were history now missing JWs could phone into the hall to listen to the meeting live and pay for the privilege. Just one problem nearly every time my mother phones in the network is offline, because the brothers just can't be bothered to activate it. Even when they do they call off after the WT and forget to reconnect (they call off so as not to be charged).

I am disgusted for my mum’s sake, JWs has been her life for nearly 40 years and this is what she gets in return. No one visits to see how she is and the only time we see an elder is when her ministry report is due.

I am torn part of me wants to set her free from these charlatans, but now in her 70's I think the reality would be too much for her and I don't want to shatter her dreams.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Little sister, my mom's hall has the same program at no charge, (that I know of)

But the funniest thing going is, when my mom has to listen on the phone....it puts her out cold with in a few minutes of the first talk.

r.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I can give her our congregation's number, the trouble is the speakers in our congregation are dire!!!!She would die of boredom and your dad would accuse me of bumping her off - and she aint a bad MIL really.

• LittleSister
    LittleSister
    it puts her out cold with in a few minutes of the first talk

Thanks Restrangled you really made me lol.

Cantleave, I have caught my mum playing cards on her PC a few times, when she is suppose to be listening. This must be her way of fighting the boredom.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

My Mom was a faithful witness for over fifty years . She raised four kids and had an unbelieving husband that didn't make it easy for her sometimes ,yet every Wednesday morning she was there in service . Every assembly she helped some other sister with kids and a unbelieving mate get to the assembly site .(per Elder request I am sure ) Every meeting she would pick up some elderly one that couldn't drive anymore . She did this for over fifty years . Then as she aged her health went down hill fast ....she needed rides and assisstance .You would have thought the Elders would see the need and arrange help ...but sadly no, she had to call herself and made her feel like she was an inconvenience . My Dad would take her sometimes and he let me know it disgusted him how they treated her . My Brother and I at the time were both witnesses ,but lived in different areas and different congregations yet the Elders told her WE should be respondsible for her not them ....nice loving shepards that they are .

Once you no longer can go out in field service they don't want anything to do with you .....

• Gregor
    Gregor

Sometimes it works out.

My widowed aunt was doted on by cong members when my uncle, a popular elder, was killed in an auto accident. She had never been gung ho but had always attended the meetings. After my uncle was gone she started having the meetings taped and dropped off due to various "health problems". They rotated the cassettes, taping over previous meetings. She was perfectly capable of going to meetings but preferred the comfort of home, TV and her cats. She enjoyed the regular visits by various young folks and knew how to con for errands and odd jobs. This went on for years. She never listened to one word. (I doubt the tapes were ever loaded into the player.) I think she handled the situation perfectly.

• LittleSister
    LittleSister

Hi Troubled mind,

Sadly I didn't think my mother’s case was unusual and I am truly sorry to hear about your mom’s experience. It’s these genuinely lovely brothers and sisters that I feel so sorry for who have dedicated years to the Org.

I really don't know how these hypocrites can stand on the platform and preach about loving one another when they treat the members of the congregation in this way.

• blondie
    blondie

In my area, one congregation stopped giving the password to the older jws and would not give it to their adult jw children. The older jws had to call an elder for each meeting to get the password for that day. Each person had to be vetted by the elders each time as to whether they "qualified" for the service. BTW, it doesn't cost anything for the congregation or the older jws.

• LittleSister
    LittleSister

Hi Blondie

Talk about making people jump through hoops.

Unfortunately in the UK the phone service does cost, the Elders told my dad who is not a JW that he should put the number onto his friends and family discount. This went down like a lead balloon.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

In the US, there are systems where the cost is a flat monthly rate and it doesn't matter if one person phones in or two dozen. If your elders get picky about it, just call the kid working the sound instead; he'll give you the code as long as the elders don't know about it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit