Question from readers - Generation

by Albert Einstein 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Albert Einstein
    Albert Einstein

WT Question from readers WT 11/15/2011

Is it proper to use the term "Iam 3rd generation witness" in the light of the new understnding of the term "Generation"?

No, it is unscriptural now. As it was clearely explained in WT 4/15/2010, several generations overlaping are in the Bible described as one generation. So if a brother is a descendant of his parents and grandparents, who were all Jehovah Witnesses, and their lives were overlaping each other, they are all still the first and one generation of JW. So evidently using the term "second" or "third" generation witness would be violating of above mentioned biblical doctrine.

The only exception from this rule would be, if brotherĀ“s both parents have died many years before the brother was born, so their lives were not overlaping. In this case such brother is entitled to use the term "I am second generation witness".

Thank you for your support and obedience.

Your Watchtower

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

Brilliant LOL

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

Very funny, Einstein.

Kidding aside, here is a chain of actual generations in my indirect family.

Hattie Bridgman (deceased), Raymond Bridgman (deceased), Allen Bridgman, Crystal Bridgman Miller (daughter-in-law), followed by 3 children (my grandchildren whom I've never met -- thanks to shunning) -- the oldest two having been baptized.

That's 5 generations if you're counting. I think Hattie became involved in the early 1930's, Marshalltown, Iowa.

Based on that, I wouldn't be surprised if there are 6th or 7th generation Witnesses.

Yes, that overlapping spin is one of most egregious interpretations the GB has ever come up with.

Len Miller

• Albert Einstein
    Albert Einstein

Fatfreek, your family is a JW legacy! Are you sure you want to be an apostate? I think, with such C.V. you have a great chance to become CO, or even DO!!!

Albert

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

Hi Albert,

I've been the black sheep for some 33 years having DA'd as an elder. In hindsight, based on experiences from this forum, I would have done my darndest to stick it out and work as an insider.

Len

• moshe
    moshe

"The only exception from this rule would be, if brotherĀ“s both parents have died many years before the brother was born," I love that part!

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Hey Fatfreek - I had a Hattie in my geneology who started it all with her sister in the early 1900's--I know it was before 1910 because the sister died in 1910. Some of my relatives have children who are now 7th generation witnesses. Brother John Bohnet (mentioned in the Proclaimer's book) is the one who witnessed to them.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Hehe, an excellent parody that shows very well how absurd the new interpretation is.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I wouldn't be surprised to find up to 9 true generations of witlesses by the time 2154 comes along. Of course, in light of their new take on "a generation", if the parents were alive at any time during the child's life, they would all be classified as one "generation".

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

The new definition is closer to the meaning of 'epoch' than 'generation.'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit