What is "being in love"?

by highdose 23 Replies latest jw friends

• highdose
    highdose

i don't think i've ever been in love, and have no idea what it is or what it is like?

Is it somthing fictional or real?

• Robdar
    Robdar

I wish I could help you out. I do not believe I have ever been in love either. I have been in heat and so I know a lot about passion and "making love" but not too much about being in love.

• dgp
    dgp

Being in love is no fiction at all. You have a PM.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Temporary Insanity, allowing for the continuation of the species, despite the many negative consequences.

-LWT (Temporarily wearing my Cynic hat.)

• Robdar
    Robdar

LWT, you would make Schopenhauer (if he was alive to see your comment--LOL).

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

I think that truly being ‘in love’ is very rare. People talk about being in love with someone who doesn’t know they exist but that’s not really love, that’s infatuation sprinkled with obsession. I believe that being in love requires that the other person be in love with you. It’s acceptance of one another’s quirks, which requires knowing one another very well, and still feeling that of all the other people you know, this is the one you want to be with. This has to be mutual to be real and if it’s not, well, you’ll soon realize that what you thought was love was really something else. This is why I believe it’s so rare – for 2 people to be in sync like that doesn’t really happen that often and when it does, it’s a beautiful thing. I’ve seen it, but I can’t say that I’ve ever experienced it.

Just my 2 cents..

• Robdar
    Robdar
    dgp: Being in love is no fiction at all. You have a PM.

Hey, now! Don't hold out on us! If you know something about love, you should share it with the forum. I, for one, would love to hear what you have to say.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Robdar,

I had to Google that one.

Arthur Schopenhauer (22 February 1788 – 21 September 1860) was a Germanphilosopher known for his atheistic pessimism and philosophical clarity. At age 25, he published his doctoral dissertation, On the Fourfold Root of the Principle of Sufficient Reason, which examined the fundamental question of whether reason alone can unlock answers about the world.
    Schopenhauer's most influential work, The World as Will and Representation, emphasized the role of man's basic motivation, which Schopenhauer called will. His analysis of will led him to the conclusion that emotional, physical, and sexual desires can never be fulfilled. Consequently, he favored a lifestyle of negating human desires, similar to the teachings of ancient Greek Stoic philosophers, Buddhism, and Vedanta.
    Schopenhauer's metaphysical analysis of will, his views on human motivation and desire, and his aphoristic writing style influenced many well-known thinkers including Friedrich Nietzsche, [1] Richard Wagner, Ludwig Wittgenstein, Erwin Schrödinger , Albert Einstein, [2] Sigmund Freud, Otto Rank, Carl Gustav Jung, and Jorge Luis Borges.

I'm afraid I'm all too fond of many "human desires". He probably wouldn't have let me into his club. Additionally, had he been forced to listen to Karl Klein go ON and ON about the male hormone, he might have realized that his goal was futile. Remember, kids: Never bet against male hormones.

-LWT

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

If you don't know whether you have then you haven't.

• John Doe
    John Doe

A crippling disease that renders all your thoughts and actions useless.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit