Our 'Mediator'?

by MidwichCuckoo 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

This has probably been touched on before - but something that's on my mind. Have I got this correct...? Jesus said, 'No one comes to the Father except through me' - and JWs always pray to God through Jesus. However, if as I have now 'understood' for some time, that the Bible is written solely for The 'Remnant', and that Jesus is only THEIR Mediator, then does God not hear the prayers of anyone else praying through Jesus? Are JW prayers (along with everyone elses') redundant?

I'd appreciate your feedback.

• Judge Dread
    Judge Dread

Mid,

I take the Bible's word before any man, or group of men.

The Bible was written for all of us, and Jesus is OUR Mediator.

If these things were written only for 'The Remnant', then we are completely out of the loop.

We mean nothing.

We are nothing.

Why even believe in God?

Judge Dread

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hello MWC,

This has probably been touched on before - but something that's on my mind. Have I got this correct...? Jesus said, 'No one comes to the Father except through me' - and JWs always pray to God through Jesus.

Indeed John 14:6 Do JWs have the real Jesus or a counterfeit though? Is Jesus God or "a god"? John 1:1 Is Jesus the Creator or the created? John 1:3 etc.

However, if as I have now 'understood' for some time, that the Bible is written solely for The 'Remnant', and that Jesus is only THEIR Mediator, then does God not hear the prayers of anyone else praying through Jesus? Are JW prayers (along with everyone elses') redundant?

Unfortunately they are redundant. You have to have the real Jesus before you can know Him, not some impostor. The whole heresy of the WT is build upon a false Jesus, a created being, the angel Michael. Read up on Michael and make your own judgement as to if he is Jesus or not. Michael is only mentioned four times in the bible.

Daniel 10 Daniel 12 Revelation 12:7

This is THE most damming verse for the heresy

Jude 1:9 (New International Version)

9 But even the archangel Michael, when he was disputing with the devil about the body of Moses, did not dare to bring a slanderous accusation against him, but said, "The Lord rebuke you!"

Who is Lord? Luke 6:5 Luke 11:1 John 14:5-7 John 20:28 Acts 10:36 Acts 16:31 Romans 6:23 Romans 10:9 1 Corinthians 12:3

Blessings,

Stephen

• teel
    teel

This thought occured to me too, I posted it somewhere on the forum. Jesus Christ is the mediator of only 144.000, the rest are only "associated" or whatever they call it (w91 2/15 pg. 18). This association is through the annointed, so technically the Governing Body (the only annointed ones, who are different than the non-anointed) are the mediators between us and Jesus. The role of mediator is also to convey our prayers to God, and represent us before Him. So the proper ending of a JWs prayer would be "in the name of Jesus Christ, through the Governing Body, amen".

• Chalam
    Chalam

So the proper ending of a JWs prayer would be "in the name of Jesus Christ, through the Governing Body, amen".

Indeed! The WT mention Jesus once in a while but their message is that they are "God's channel".

I'll stick with Jesus as my Mediator thanks :)

1 Timothy 2:5 (New International Version)

5 For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus

John 14:6 (New International Version)

6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

1 John 2:1 (English Standard Version)

Christ Our Advocate
    1 My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.

Blessings, Stephen
  • designs
    designs

To assume that a Supreme Being does or does not listen to someone based on how we perceive that Being is pretty damn shallow.

The Western/European view of the good Jewish itinerant rabbi of 2000 years ago is pretty skewed. As one prominent Presbyterian clergyman stated 'there's still to much Jewishness in our theology', there ya go, that's the path

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I have an article that discusses this at http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/mediator.php

The WTS claims Jesus is only mediator for the 144,000, but highpriest for all. The Great Crowd can approach Jehovah in prayer through Jesus in his capacity as high priest.

It doesn't make sense, but they are forced into this position because Jesus is mediator to the new covenant, which is only for the heavenly class.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Thanks for your responses .

So the proper ending of a JWs prayer would be "in the name of Jesus Christ, through the Governing Body, amen".

Yes teel - that is my thinking. Why haven't they realised that IF Jesus is not their mediator (by their own 'rules'), then it is pointless praying through him..? Why aren't they questioning it..? It won't be long before they incorporate the above into prayers, and then just eliminate Jesus in favour of the GB as the only 'channel' through which they pray.

I agree with you Judge, that the Bible was written for ALL, not a handful of self promoted 'elite'. I've many times heard JWs criticise Catholic leaders(''noooo, never, surely not'', I hear you say, lol) for reading the Scriptures in Latin so the congregation are unable to share. The WT is doing exactly the same.

• blondie
    blondie

I never got a straight answer from a jw on 1 Timothy 2:5 as to how Jesus was only the mediator of the 144,000 in that scriptures. It talks about prayer and even the WTS hasn't said that all people aren't supposed to pray through Christ.

*** w02 7/1 p. 8 Worship God "in Spirit" ***Is it proper to pray to Jesus’ earthly mother, Mary, or to particular "saints," asking them to intercede with God in one’s behalf? The Bible’s direct answer is: "There is only one mediator between God and mankind, himself a man, Christ Jesus."—1 Timothy 2:5.

*** w97 2/15 p. 28 Agreement Between "God’s Temple" and Idols in Greece? ***Furthermore, in a very clear way, the Scriptures rule out the idea of praying to "saints" in order for them to act as intercessors with God. In his model prayer, Jesus taught that prayers are to be addressed to the Father only, since he directed his disciples: "You must pray, then, this way: ‘Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified.’" (Matthew 6:9) Jesus further stated: "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you ask anything in my name, I will do it." And the apostle Paul stated: "There is one God, and one mediator between God and men, a man, Christ Jesus."—John 14:6, 14; 1 Timothy 2:5.

*** w66 8/1 p. 465 par. 16 Baptism Shows Faith ***Of special interest to one wishing to make his dedication to God is the act of faith known as prayer. When one makes his dedication he prays to Jehovah in the name of Jesus Christ, the Son, the Mediator between God and man.

*** w57 12/15 p. 747 "Confess Your Sins" ***The overseer does not presume to take the role of God, nor to be the mediator between God and men. Rather, as a loving Christian brother, he approaches God in prayer along with the spiritually sick one, doing so through the one Mediator Christ Jesus, and faithfully pointing out Jehovah’s loving provision for forgiveness.

*** g74 1/8 p. 10 What Do You Know About Prayer? ***To be acceptable to God, prayers must be through the channel he recognizes. Jesus said: "No one comes to the Father except through me." Jesus also said prayers should be presented ‘in his name.’ (John 14:6; 16:23) Thus, our prayers should acknowledge that the value of the sacrifice of Jesus’ own human life makes it possible for us to approach God in prayer, and that there is just "one mediator between God and men, a man, Christ Jesus."—1 Tim. 2:5.

*** g70 8/22 p. 16 Searching for a Church to Satisfy Her Spiritual Needs ***"For a while I thought that the Roman Catholic Church had something to offer. But it did not take too long for me to realize that we are not to pray to lifeless idols, and that the mediator between God and men is not the pope at Rome. (1 Tim. 2:5)

• designs
    designs

Midwich,

Isn't that kind of assuming that Jesus, however you perceive him, is limited in some way. If he is good, why should he withold blessing someone based on that person's perceptions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit