Memorial Question

by God_Delusion 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• God_Delusion
    God_Delusion

As some of you may know, I've started my own blog (JehovahsWitnessBlog.com) that discusses the goings on within JWland. I want to write an article in relation to the memorial.

My question is;

Where in the bible does it state that only the annointed have to partake of the emblems? If it doesn't say that in the bible, where and when did the borg state that only the annointed should partake?

Regards
    RAB

• nelly136
    nelly136

http://www.watchtower.org/e/bh/appendix_06.htm

Who should partake of these Memorial emblems? Logically, only those in the new covenant—that is, those who have the hope of going to heaven—should partake of the bread and the wine. God’s holy spirit convinces such ones that they have been selected to be heavenly kings. (Romans 8:16) They are also in the Kingdom covenant with Jesus.—Luke 22:29.

What about those who have the hope of living forever in Paradise on earth? They obey Jesus’ command and attend the Lord’s Evening Meal, but they come as respectful observers, not partakers. Once a year after sundown on Nisan 14, Jehovah’s Witnesses observe the Lord’s Evening Meal. Although only a few thousand worldwide profess to have the heavenly hope, this observance is precious to all Christians. It is an occasion when all can reflect upon the superlative love of Jehovah God and Jesus Christ.—John 3:16.

dont know if the full article on this link is any help to you

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

The anointed and other sheep are inventions of WTS, the dividing of the faithful into two groups.
    It came about when Rutherford started to see that the number of "International Bible Students" would break the 144,000 that were supposed to be in the religion and go to heaven and rule. I speculate that Rutherford didn't want the growth to end and couldn't say the religion was full.

So how could the Bible say anything about it when there weren't actually these two groups?

I speculate that it was their idea that these people don't partake to encourage others to admit they didn't have the heavenly hope. Either that or it just meant they needed less wine.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

That is taken from 1 Cor 11:27 - which says whoever eats the loaf or drinks the wine who is not worthy.

Jesus said in Luke 22:19 to do it for forgiveness of sins.

Compare the 2, and the GB says 1 Cor 11:17 and that cov were for the annointed only, and those who are not annointed are not worthy, etc.

That's how they explain it. Read the scriptures yourself and see what you feel they are saying.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

I do have an open question though, 1 Cor 11:27, what do any reading this feel it means? How is one worthy to partake? What does it mean when saying eats and drinking puts one in God's judgement?

Curious what viewpoints many have on this.

• God_Delusion
    God_Delusion

Cheers for that guys.

I see (from Nelly's comment) that the WTS actually made up the entire thing. Using words like "logically", may fool beings of lesser IQ levels, therefore I take my hat off to them for their psychology.

I think I have enough to go on in order to write my article.

Regards
    RAB

PS. "God’s holy spirit convinces such ones that they have been selected to be heavenly kings". Should read; "A very high estimation of themselves convinces such ones that they are God's and so belong up with God".

How pathetic and deluded must one be to actually make themselves believe that they shouldn't be alive, here on Earth, but should actually be spirit beings? Or maybe they are so taken in by the lies, that they actually fool themselves into believing that they are greater than the rest of us? Maybe that question is best left for another thread.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

It comes from the initial premise that the 144,000 mentioned in a highly symbolic book is literal. Leap frog to a couple of texts with 'little flock' and 'Christ's brothers' being treated well by others, then hey presto! A two class Christianity is born.

A person in the Christian era is given the holy spirit once they accept Christ. Where in the NT is any evidence of a non-anointed Christian? So if a JW believes they have the holy spirit, then couldn't it be said they have been 'anointed' with it?

This is where OTWO's post comes in:

Until the summer of 1935, it was taught that those spirit-begotten and heaven-bound (spiritual Israel) consisted of the 'royal' 144,000 class and the 'great multitude' (the 'tribulation class' who had fallen short of the 'higher calling' or were 'negligent' so would have to be refined by the 'great tribulation' but could serve as Levites in the heavenly temple). It has to be emphasized that nobody knew who would be relegated to the 'great multitude' class until the 'end' when they were judged. That's why it could be said that the identification of the 'great crowd' had remained a mystery. To reiterate, the 'anointed' consisted of the 144,000 and the 'great crowd.'

But there was also the Jonadab class, companions of the 'anointed,' the 'other sheep' class who had an earthly hope. These were not officially 'Jehovah's witnesses' at the time because, and according to the Vindication books (1931, 1932), they were still 'part of Satan's organization' although they didn't sympathize with it and were 'sighing and crying over the detestable things' etc. (and remember that Isa. 43:10 was talking about literal Israel, so in the Christian dispensation the parallel was with spiritual Israel). And of course, these wouldn't have partaken of any emblems at the Memorial.

Just before the famous Convention in 1935, there was a call for all the Jonadabs to attend it. You've read the account in the Proclaimers book and Yearbook about this Convention? So who rose from their seats when Rutherford asked those who hoped to live forever on earth to stand up?

The Jonadabs, of course!

No wonder there was a hush when Rutherford declared, "Behold, the great multitude!"

And so, with that sleight of hand, the secondary heavenly class was no more, the great multitude became synonymous with the earth-bound Jonadabs, and a whole bunch of partakers stopped partaking, leaving only a small 'remnant' of a literal 144,000 'royal' and 'anointed' class eligible to take the emblems.

And it's mixed in with wanting to have fewer chiefs than indians.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

EndofMysteries raises another good point. Taking it off at a tangent, 'Who is worthy?'

The 'great multitude' was spirit-begotten but had found themselves in that group rather than the 'royal' class because of somehow being negligent in their spiritual life. After all, to be of the 'royal' 144,000 class was a 'high calling' which involved sacrifice in this life - and even in the end to sacrifice/let go of one's 'humanity' and physical existence so as to be eternally changed to spirit nature. Very gnostic in flavor.

Psychologically, I think there would be very few who would feel 'ethereal' or 'spiritual' enough to feel worthy of that 'high calling.' Those that felt unworthy would have been relieved to have been relegated to an physical destiny.

But it's taking the gospel too far. The point is, nobody is worthy of any eternal reward, whatever it is. God's grace and promise of eternal life, based on His Son's sacrifice, is a GIFT to all the unworthy - that's the point! But unfortunately, the WTS has created this two tier, elitist system that doesn't exist in the NT.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Hey, I'm on a roll.

Also consider Exodus 12 - particularly noting verses 43-49. Who could partake and eat of the Passover lamb and who was excluded? If the 'great crowd' are akin to believing spiritual Gentiles ... well, do the math.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

There IS a difference in the NT between annointed and non annointed, or as it may state, "holy ones", "sons of God", "the elect". There are many scriptures in the NT showing that, it does get confusing but it's there and I can post later.

But the wine and bread, if that is only for those ones, vs just everyone in general for forgiveness of sins is another matter.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit