New generation definition....has the Society "jumped the shark"?

by sir82 26 Replies latest jw friends

• sir82
    sir82

For those who need a refresher, here is the latest redefinition of "generation" from the 4/15/2010 WT:

How, then, are we to
    understand Jesus’ words about “this generation”?
    He evidently meant that the lives of the anointed
    who were on hand when the sign began to become
    evident in 1914 would overlap with the lives of other
    anointed ones who would see the start of the great
    tribulation.

My question is...is this it? Has the Society finally "jumped the shark"?

For those who don't know the term "jump the shark", here are some snippets from a Wikipedia article:

Jumping the shark is a idiom used by TVcritics and fans to denote the point in a television program's history where the plot spins off into absurd story lines or unlikely characterizations. These changes are sometimes the result of efforts to revive interest in a show whose viewership has begun to decline. In other cases, the changes have other causes (e.g. an actor quitting, different writers being hired) and the diminished interest is the result. The two causes can feed into each other, leading to even greater changes and even lower popularity. Nonetheless, some series remain profitable and popular long after they have been judged by some to have "jumped the shark". The phrase has recently come into more general usage, and is applied to cultural phenomena other than television programs.

The phrase jump the shark refers to the climactic scene in "Hollywood," a three-part episode opening the fifth season of the American TV series Happy Days in September 1977. In this story, the series' central characters visit Los Angeles, where Fonzie (Henry Winkler), wearing swim trunks and his trademark leather jacket, jumps over a confined shark on water skis, answering a challenge to demonstrate his bravery. The series continued for nearly seven years after that, with a number of changes in cast and situations.

Has the Society crossed a threshold? Many of their teachings have been shown to be demonstrably false, but at least had a patina of believability.

But the current "2 overlapping generations really equal one generation" seems beyond the pale. I can't wrap my mind around any way to justify it, even if I wanted to believe it.

So what do you think? Have they "jumped the shark" with this one?

• snowbird
    snowbird

I think they have.

I hope they have.

I hope "the shark" will eat them alive!

Sylvia

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

Maybe, but it won't matter.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

At last. At last. a phrase I can sink my teeth into.

The WTS has jumped the shark. This should be the best thread ever on the subject of the 2010 Overlap doctrine. (It might not, but it should be.) To really exploit the Happy Days connection, the show had to do something. It did something. The thing it did was ridiculous. But the show would have wound down no matter what they did, so they did something. Regardless of how ridiculous the thing they did was, they lasted another 7 seasons. Could you see me replace "the show" with WTS?

They had to do something as members were leaving in droves. No matter what WTS did, they would eventually wind down. The thing they did was ridiculous but something had to be done.

The rest of my thoughts here are just rambling on and on to overstate the point:

Let's further exploit Happy Days. Remember Chuck? Almost nobody does. In the first two seasons, Richie and Joanie had an older brother who went to college. They didn't kill him, but acted as if he never existed as time went on. You could cast Chuck in the role of "old light." It didn't work and they forgot about it. With the rapid change of WTS doctrine on the gneration, they hope that their 1995 change will be Chuck. As for their literal 1914 generation, they brought it back because they knew it would never be forgotten. So the 1914 generation is part of the family- it's Richie Cunningham.

Happy Days tried to live on with "Joannie Loves Chachi." But it was pretty much over by that time. Still, more money was made shilling the product for a tiny bit longer. When Happy Days and the Joannie spin-off died, there just wasn't any life left.

• minimus
    minimus

Yeah, let's talk about Joanie and Chachi. They too were stoopid.

• minimus
    minimus

This thread could turn out to be about more Fonzie than Watchtower, huh?

• Gayle
    Gayle

Very good illustration!!! The Watchtower life is like a very boring "soap opera" with the "same old same old." Many are hooked forever anyway no matter because they like their story. If the producers (GB) think with their "new light" they can "jump the shark" for the tiring, bored viewers/publishers to re-hook or hook more deeply. Hopefully, more will "click" their remote (brain) and turn to other selections.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

With all due respect and advance apologies. . .

The beauty of running a destructive, Mind Control Cult, is there is NO SUCH THING as jumping the shark. The leaders define reality.

More than 80% are completely captive to the whims of the leadership. Facts/data/reality/false prophecies/lies/discrepancies don't matter.

The CREATION of the religion was when it jumped the shark, if you will. How do you top killing babies by refusing them blood?

• OnTheWayOut
  • garyneal
    garyneal

I liken the WTS to Fonzie in that they never will admit that they are wr-wr-wr-wr-uh.

"I was wr-wr-wr-wr-uh."

"I was WR-WR-WR, nevermind it was new light."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit