Do you know all of the Watchtower's failed predictions? I doubt it.

by TMS 12 Replies latest jw friends

• TMS
    TMS

As a longtime JW, I knew about 1925, 1975, the failed original expectation of 1914, etc. In the first Bible studies I conducted, we taught that the great tribulation began in 1914 but was "cut short" in 1918 on account of the chosen ones, that some flesh would be saved. The great tribulation was said to have been in abeyance. I sometimes used the comparison of the temporary calm as the eye of a hurricane passed over.

I had little idea the extent of failed prophecies until I read "The List" by a person who called himself Prominent Bethelite. For the newly associated on this board, here is the link to that list.

tms

http://www.freeminds.org/history/list.htm

• JerkhovahsWitless
    JerkhovahsWitless

Thanks! I was wondering if something like this existed.

• TMS
    TMS

In the brackets below each quote you will find the source of the quote, either The Watchtower or WT publications.

• Walkin
    Walkin

This demonstrates the importance of studying watchtower history first before studying with the witnesses. When one studies the watchtower history first, one will not accept a study with the witnesses. Those who study with the witnesses without studying it's history will become captives to this cult.

TMS. Thanks for the list.

Walkin

• restrangled
    restrangled

TMS...thanks for the list, I am printing it out for the next pounding I get at the upcoming family get together. There will be much lecturing for the 50 plus year olds who are children of this group. We are begged to come visit and then the preaching begins, about how far we are into the last days, how can we not see it, how could we have forsaken Jehovah....blah, blah, blah.

It's going to feel real good to hand over a copy of all this crap. It made my stomach turn.

r.

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

I love this one.....We may as well join with the civilized world in celebrating the grand event on the day which the majority celebrate - 'Christmas day.'" {Watchtower Dec 1 1904 364} [What changed?]

• TMS
    TMS

Magwitch,

There is a postcard photo of the Bethel Christmas meal in 1926 on the net. Included in the photo are Rutherford, Knorr and Franz. JWs celebrated Christmas until 1928. So much for that 1919 "inspection" of the faithful slave finding them spiritually clean. Interesting also in "the list" is the fact that the Watchtower as late as 1922 was still teaching that the last days and Christ's presence began in 1874.

tms

• TMS
    TMS

The list by Prominent Bethelite also includes a few very poorly phrased, ignorant Watchtower comments about black people. While some JWs might excuse these comments as reflecting the times, consider that this is supposedly from the "slave class" led by holy spirit.

"God .. evidently has been a respecter of races, and has specially blessed and favored certain branches of the Aryan race in Europe and America.. the white race has been more abundantly blessed with the light of the Gospel than others .. the elect Church will probably be composed chiefly of the highly favored white race.." {EVOL 30-1}

"There are probably as many as a hundred colored brethren on the Watch Tower lists, some of them very clear in the truth, and very earnest in its service, financially and other-wise .. [but they are not allowed to participate in the "pioneer work" as] although we have received letters from several of these, who had intended engaging in the volunteer work, expressing surprise that in the call for volunteers in the March 1, 1900 issue we restricted the inquiry to white Protestant churches. .. The reason is that so far as we are able to judge, colored people have less education than whites - many of them quite insufficient to permit them to profit by such reading as we have to give forth. Our conclusion therefore is based upon the supposition that reading matter distributed to a colored congregation would more than half of it be utterly wasted, and a very small percentage indeed likely to yield good results. We advise, therefore, that where the Watch Tower literature is introduced to colored people it be not by promiscuous circulation, but only to those who give evidence of some ear for the truth. We avoid, so far as possible, putting the pearls of present truth into the hands of the vicious and depraved .." {Zions Watchtower Apr 15 1900 122}

"Though, once as black as charcoal, the Rev. Mr. Draper is now white. His people say that his color was changed in answer to prayer. . Many years ago Draper was employed by a fair-skinned man, and he was often heard to remark that if he could only be white like his employer, he would be happy. While in the white man's service Draper 'experienced' religion." {WR Oct 1 1900 2706} [Michael Jackson ceased to be a Jehovah's Witness in 1987]

"'It too often happens that, while the negro rapidly masters the rules and regulations of the Christian religion, he still continues to be gross, immoral, and deceitful. They (missionaries) may have succeeded in turning their disciples into professing Catholics, Anglicans, or Baptists; but the impartial observer is surprised to find that adultery, drunkenness, and lying are more apparent among the converts than among their heathen brethren.' And again: 'I regret to say that, with a few - very rare - exceptions, those native African pastors, teachers, and catechists whom I have met have been all, more or less, bad men. They attempted to veil an unbridled immorality with an unblushing hypocrisy and a profane display of mouth-religion which, to an honest mind, seemed even more disgusting than the immorality itself. While it was apparent that not one particle of true religion had made its way into their gross minds, it was also evident that the spirit of sturdy manliness which was present in their savage forefathers found no place in their false, cowardly natures.." [Given as a quotation by Russell without adverse comment] {Zions Watchtower Aug 15 1901 266}

"The Negro Not a Beast .. that Ham's characteristics which had led him to unseemly conduct disrespectful to his father, would be found cropping out later, inherited by his son, and prophetically he foretold that this degeneracy would mark the posterity of Canaan, degrading him, making him servile. We are not able to determine to a certainty that the sons of Ham and Canaan are negroes; but we consider that general view as probable as any other.. We are not to forget, either, that Africa is inhabited by various tribes or nations of negroes - some more and some less degraded than the average.. While it is true that the white race exhibits some qualities of superiority over any other, we are to remember that there are wide differences in the same Caucasian (Semitic and Aryan) family.. The secret of the greater intelligence and aptitude of the Caucasian undoubtedly in great measure is to be attributed to the commingling of blood amongst its various branches; and this was evidently forced in large measure by circumstances under divine control. It remains to be proven that the similar commingling of the various tribes of Chinese for several centuries would not equally brighten their intellects; and the same with the peoples of India and Africa." {Zions Watchtower Jul 15 1902 216}

"The second runner, Cushi, or literally a Cushite - that is, a negro - was probably one of the king's household servants .." {Zions Watchtower Nov 1 1903 410-1}

"Can The Ethiopian Change His skin color? No. But.. what the Ethiopian cannot do for himself God could readily do for him. The difference between the races of men .. have long been arguments against the solidarity of the human family. The doctrine of restitution has also raised the question. How could all men be brought to perfection and which color of skin was the original? The answer is now provided. God can change the Ethiopian's skin in his own due time.. Julius Jackson, of New Frankfort, Montana, a negro boy of nine years, began to grow white in September, 1901, and is now fully nine-tenths white. He assures us that this is no whitish skin disease; but that the new white skin is as healthy as that of any white boy, and that the changed boy has never been sick and never has taken medicines.." [and so God can and will change blacks to whites in the New World]" {Zions Watchtower Feb 15 1904 52-3}

tms

• Mythbuster
    Mythbuster
    This demonstrates the importance of studying watchtower history first before studying with the witnesses. When one studies the watchtower history first, one will not accept a study with the witnesses. Those who study with the witnesses without studying it's history will become captives to this cult.

I am "studying", so to speak. I won't sit and read through a JW book and parrot back answers though. How do I bring these points up to the JW without inciting WWIII

• TMS
    TMS

Mythbuster,

Whether or not your JW teacher becomes upset is irrelevant. It's all about whether or not you want to live your life by the dictates of an obviously man-made religion.

tms

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit