Help - my husband wants to buy scratch off tickets!

by doublelife 17 Replies latest jw friends

• doublelife
    doublelife

But, I don't see that as a bad thing. He asked me over lunch if I think it's wrong and I told him no. We discussed why the society says it's wrong and I told him why I don't agree with it and he agreed. We've already come to an agreement as to how much money would be spend on it and I asked him what his motive is for wanting to buy it. He said he just wants to try to win some pocket change. With the type of tickets he wants to buy he would only win maybe $100, maybe less. So we've established that his motive is not greed which is what would make it wrong according to the bible and according to the GB. So the last point I made was that he needs to ask the elders if that is something he could do or would he get in trouble for it and he said he would ask. The question I have is, is this something that is just looked down upon or would he get in trouble for it? If he's not allowed to do it, how can I reason with him and use this to my advantage?

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

Two words..... LIFE CONTROL.

Look, I don't personally think that the mind-set behind get-rich-schemes, on whatever scale, are healthy.

But where your own family stands on that is up to YOU to discuss and evaluate! How you earn your money is your own business, as is how you fantasize about earning more, as is how you spend it.

I guess YOUR BUSINESS is the opposite of LIFE CONTROL.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I think the JW position is that it is wrong, I don't know if it is a DF deal, but I'm sure he'll be counseled about it.

This accountant's position is that it is a tax on fools. You should take the same amount of money he's spending on the lottery and put it in a bank with a good interest rate. He can take his winnings, minus whatever he spent buying the tickets and put it in a jar. If he goes negative he can put an IOU in the jar, to be deducted from future winnings. At the end of the year the two of you can count your money together.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Gambling, even low-dollar Lottery tickets, is a Disfellowshipping offense if the person is "unrepentant" as judged by 3 men in suits with a crystal ball.

om

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

You told him to ask the elders? No offense, but WHY?!?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

If he`s looking to win extra pocket money..

He`s setting himself up for trouble..

It has to be viewed as entertainment..

And..

A price limit has to be set for that entertainment..

If he is an active JW..He`s not allowed to gamble..

There will be trouble if he does..

• LittleSister
    LittleSister

Scratch cards and the lottery are a definite no no JW wise as it is all considered gambling.

One argument I remember is that you are winning money at the expense of others loses. They seem to ignore the fact that people are happy to take their chances and the money raised (certainly in the UK) goes to charities and community projects.

If you want to do this and still be in the Org you need to do it on the sly or expect trouble.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

In most states in the USA the money from lottery proceeds go to schools. Education is EVIL to the borg.

• HappyGuy
    HappyGuy

Tell him that the odds of getting a payoff from asteroid insurance is higher than the odds of winning the lottery. So he should get a homeowner's asteroid insurance policy.

• nugget
    nugget

Asked Cantleave it is a DF'ing offence. Not something approved of at all since trusting to the god of good fortune is gambling and false worship.

Good luck so if you're buying a scratch card make sure the prize is really big.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit