Why Christains make no sense to me, an example from Haiti...

by HappyGuy 17 Replies latest jw friends

• HappyGuy
    HappyGuy

I have some in laws who recently went to Haiti to do "missionary" work at one of the churches there. This "missionary" work basically consisted of singing and dancing and entertaining the church goers. My relatives stayed at some houses owned by the church on the church property. So, they in no way "roughed it".

When they came back they were so filled with BS about how wonderful it was, and how they touched so many people's hearts and how moving it was and how the Haitian people are so beautiful and wonderful, blah blah blah

Anyway, we just got an email from these idiots how they went on and on how God "blessed" them by "saving" them from the earthquake and how if their trip had been timed just a few weeks later they would have been there when the earthquake hit but it was the power of God's spirit that caused them to make their travel plans for the two weeks before the earth quake hit....blah,blah, blah, blah.

So, I wrote back and said "If God is so powerful that he could arrange your trip so that you didn't get hit by the earthquake why couldn't he have stopped the earth quake altogther and "blessed" the people in Haiti? Why did he choose to bless you and not them?

I'm wondering what kind of answer I'll get.

• bohm
    bohm

"Its all part of Gods plan"

• cofty
    cofty

That sort of self-satisfied arrogance is really nauseating.

Smacks more of Stockholm syndrome than anything most of us would identify as love

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Christianity, is a false sense of comfort based apon assumptions, full of empty platitudes, it truley is an opiate of the people to deaden the pain through the illusion.

Quote from Karl Marx:

Religion is, indeed, the self-consciousness and self-esteem of man who has either not yet won through to himself, or has already lost himself again. But man is no abstract being squatting outside the world. Man is the world of man—state, society. This state and this society produce religion, which is an inverted consciousness of the world, because they are an inverted world. Religion is the general theory of this world, its encyclopedic compendium, its logic in popular form, its spiritual point d'honneur, its enthusiasm, its moral sanction, its solemn complement, and its universal basis of consolation and justification. It is the fantastic realization of the human essence since the human essence has not acquired any true reality. The struggle against religion is, therefore, indirectly the struggle against that world whose spiritual aroma is religion. Religious suffering is, at one and the same time, the expression of real suffering and a protest against real suffering. Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is the demand for their real happiness. To call on them to give up their illusions about their condition is to call on them to give up a condition that requires illusions. The criticism of religion is, therefore, in embryo, the criticism of that vale of tears of which religion is the halo.
  • Farkel
    Farkel

:Christianity, is a false sense of comfort based apon assumptions, full of empty platitudes, it truley is an opiate of the people to deaden the pain through the illusion

Thomas Paine observed that Christianity is based upon 3 things: 1) Myth, 2) Mystery, and 3) Miracle.

Doesn't sound like a very solid foundation to me!

Farkel

• JerkhovahsWitless
    JerkhovahsWitless

Stories like this make me want to

You'll probably get some stupid response that makes no sense, but it'll allow them to continue their delusion.

• cry
    cry

Obviously Christianity is a matter of faith, but at some point there has to be an element of logic applied in today's society. That's where they come unstuck. Why would anybody be saved in preference to thousands of innocent babies, children, elderly etc. There is no LOGIC to it and it is something I have never understood. In fact, if you were a truly good person, you would probably want to give your life to save a child wouldn't you - so why brag that you have been saved. As this thinking has got me tied up in riddles, I have had to conclude that there is no spiritl involved in this, only chance and unforseen occurence. You and me are not so important that our lives would be saved in preference to others.

• E.ZenoneSr@comcast.net
    [email protected]

I am a Christian. Let me ask you: what does make any sense to you? How do you decide what is good or evil or what makes sense or not?

Why would Jesus Christ die as he did? Or did he really exist at all? Did he rise from the dead? These are questions that have no end. One question leads to another. But by what standard can we judge anything? If we were to start from scratch, what kind of laws would we have to govern life? I ask questions because I think they help point to how we can find any sense in this world.

Most people, even many Christians, have not read the Bible. I often hear some tell me of their problems in believing what the Bible says about anything. So, I ask them: "Have you ever read the Bible?" I mean the entire Bible, even once? It's very difficult to criticize a book that one has not even read! But, this is what I meet all the time when I talk about God or the Bible. I believe it is the Word of God. We can have our ideas of what is right and wrong, and this makes sense for us. But it makes no sense, for many, that God knows anything about this!

Christians do many good things for people besides preaching the gospel to them. Do you realize how many hospitals, doctors, nurses, and so that Christians provide in times of disaster? They give their money and personal help. It's not just about singing hymns and preahing. We believe that we are to help people with what we have in our talents and gifts as doctors, teachers, carpenters, etc. The idea that Christians are only about one thing is simply not true. Have you ever heard of Voice of The Martyrs? Check it out on line. This Christian ministry helps persecuted Christians by providing free medicine, doctors help, operations, jobs, clothing, you name it. We don't hear about this side of Christianity because this is not what interests most newspapers or media. So, we are often steriotyped as bigoted, uncaring and out of touch with reality. This is how most people viewed Jesus Christ! "And there was much murmuring among the people concerning him: for some said, He is a good man: others said, Nay; but he decieveth the people" John 7:35 The religious leaders hated Jesus. Why?

What is our purpose in life? Is this all there is? Do we just die, and that's it? Or could it be true that Jesus Christ died to pay for our sins so that we can have eternal life and when we die we are resurrected ot a life that Revelation 21: 1-4 describes. There was a reason Jesus died on a cross.

Either the Bible is the Word of God, or we have to come up with our own ideas. We have to conclude that Jesus never even existed! That there is no such thing as truth. And that no one can know what is truth. Pilate, the Roman governor who aressted Jesus asked him, "What is truth?" -John 18:38 Truth was standing right in front of Pilate!

So, I suggest you read the Bible and then you can have some idea of what it says about truth, law, salvation, redemption, hope, love and every good thing that God gives to His creatures. "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are called according to his purpose" -Romans 8:28

Ernie Zenone, Sr.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

So, as the little girl with the crushed leg was dying in Haiti today and spoke the words, "Momma, don't let me die" your Bible was what she needed? God's purpose was for her to die from the trauma and be painfully aware that she was dying because no care could reach her, yet these toads were saved by Jesus so they could sing "Loves Me Like a Rock" with the Brutha and Sista Hallelujah Jesus is Lord Gospel Band in the Church? Guess that's why people don't like your Lord. He's too busy worrying about how the show's going in the church than be bothered to help those who need him. Of the all religion is Bullshit class. W.Once

• HappyGuy
    HappyGuy

<div class="quote">So, we are often steriotyped as bigoted, uncaring and out of touch with reality.</div><br>

That was my point. People who would claim that God's spirit made sure that the earthquake happened after they had left the country, or that God's spirit made them decide to travel to Haiti two weeks before the earthquake (however you want to look at it), and God was somehow "saving" them by his grace, well that is someone who is out of touch with reality.

Because if God did do this then God knew when the earthquake was coming, but instead of using his spirit to, oh, I dont' know, put it into the hearts and minds of the people of Haiti to all travel to the other side of the island that week, he makes sure that some liberal do-gooders get to go to Haiti and dance and sing and shout and put their hands in the air and wiggle around like they just don't care.

I mean, come on.

"I am so glad that God used his Spirit to make sure that I am safe while 100s of thousands of other died."

Uncaring, bigoted, and out of touch with reality. Hits the nail pretty much on the head.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit