Some Great Books

by jgnat 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

Nice to have you back Jgnat - thanks for the recommends.

• wobble
    wobble

Hi Jgnat,

My thanks to for the tips on good books. I have been a voracious reader all my life, but cannot afford to buy rubbish books, so recommends by your goodself are much appreciated.

I too would recommend anything by Karen Armstrong , her research is huge in its scope, and her prose is elegant, but more importantly to me, in just a sentence or two she can explain the most difficult of concepts, a rare skill.

She has helped me to come to an understanding of so much,especially Islam and The Prophet himself.

I think too that the Charter for Compassion that she champions, in an effort to unite those of all religions and none, could be the best thing to happen for the human race in recent years, I hope it goes from strength to strength.

thanks again,

Love

Wobble

• jgnat
    jgnat

Oh, my. I am warmed by the welcome. Thank you all again. Thank you for the book recommendations, too. Will Power, babe, you are always a treat.

Choosing Life, you make an excellent point about the dishonor of leaving. That really is a telltale mark of an abusive organization, isn't it? Reading Armstrong's book, it's clear to me that the Witnesses have plenty of company. In their long history, Jews, Muslims and Christians alike have excommunicated, exiled, or executed their dissenters. Perhaps now in history this sort of abuse is no longer tolerated or assumed.

I must check out that Charter for Compassion.

• greenie
    greenie

Hi Jgnat, I don't think I was here when you last were, but I've read a lot of your posts and others here have told me some about you (I'm a non-JW in a serious relationship with a lapsed, but strongly believing JW). Anyway, I posted on this a while back on the Charter for Compassion. I think it's pretty cool.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/184215/1/Kinda-cool-from-Karen-Armstrong-former-nun-and-Archbishop-Desmond-Tutu

• compound complex
    compound complex

Welcome back, jgnat!

It's not related to your titles, but since my pc went dead, I've been spending a lot of time at the public library (where I happen to be now). That being the case, I found a book circa 1950 entitled My Several Worlds, by Pearl S. Buck. My mother had the same book that I now have in hand [price on dust cover: $5].

Her writings meant a great deal to my mom and now are influencing me. Incidentally, her missionary parents were Christians not intolerant of the Chinese philosophical and religious point of view. Miss Buck was herself a very open-minded humanitarian.

CoCo

• jgnat
    jgnat

I read "The Good Earth" by Pearl S. Buck a while ago, and I was reminded again when the movie played on television. I never caught on until the movie that Ms. Buck was a woman of the thirties. What an enlightened woman of her time.

It just goes to show how much we can learn about our fellow human beings, if we take the time to watch and listen.

• Butterflyleia85
    Butterflyleia85

Oh how awesome... I will defiantly look into these books thanks!!

• FreeAtLast1914
    FreeAtLast1914

Thanks for the suggestions. A book that has helped me in my understanding of the evolution of Christianity is The History of Christianity by Paul Johnson.

• fokyc
    fokyc

Jgnat, Nice to see you back, (not sure where you've been )

Many thanks for the suggestions, managed to get the last one of "Expecting Armageddon" from Amazon UK

Arrived this morning, certainly looks good, don't think I will manage to persuade Sister fokyc to read it!

fokyc

• jgnat
    jgnat

More book ideas, thanks. Fokyc, I've been on walkabout, as our Australian friends would say it. I'd always vowed that if I dropped off the board it would be quietly, without drama. I don't need drama.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit