Bible God & Human Sacrifice

by ThomasCovenant 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Big J sent his son Little J to earth as a 'human' sacrifice. The fact that Little J was allegegdly about 30 years of age when the deed was done shouldn't take away from the my concept of Christianity being based on child sacrifice.

Imagine the hullabaloo if Jesus had been 7 years of age when he was nailed up.

There is a precedent of course for the whole 'I need a sacrificial child' thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fah5JAyLJTI

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

How do you sacrfice someone that is immortal ?

The only thing that "died" was Jesus's body.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

P Sac,

The whole God needs a sacrifice to forgive sins thing I think is very archaic to the extreme when you really think about it. And if we take the position that the Biblical Deity is Almighty and the supreme example of love or "God is Love" as it says in the Bible, then we have to ask wasn't there a more loving way to solve the problem of origenal sin that didn't invovle human sacrifice?

And why all the slaughter in the bible if God's orginal purpose was for man to live in paradise, and why the anger at something that he created if he is suppose to be the God of Love? I know the scripted answer: God Love is so much more higher than our understanding that it seems wrong to us but if you have faith&love for God then it all becomes clear.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Frankie,

Jesus forgave sins with NO NEED of anything other than repentance.

I view Jesus's earthly sacrifice probably a little different than most Christians ( not saying I am right, just different).

Jesus's life on earth was to show that God was willing to be Man, his only-begotten Son who was in perfect union with His Father, was willing to go through ALL that we go through, including the most painful type of death, to show not only his love for us, but that we are worth his Grace.

It wasn't a sacrifice per say, only Jesus's body "died", it was a divine being willing to suffer to show us his love and our worth.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

P Sac,

Jesus's life on earth was to show that God was willing to be Man, his only-begotten Son who was in perfect union with His Father, was willing to go through ALL that we go through, including the most painful type of death, to show not only his love for us, but that we are worth his Grace.

It all seems so fairy tale-ish to me. Why would it even make a difference for me or anyone for that matter that God was willing to take the form of a man and suffer a horrible death? What possible intellectual appeal does it even make?

If a Supreme being is supposed to be all wise and all Loving why would he conclude that humbling himself and being tortured and thus sharing in the suffering of his creatures would have more benefit than simply removing the suffering in the first place? I fail to see the logic or practicalities of such displays of masochism would have in being comforting, in the place of any true tangible benefits for those on whom he is suppose to love and take care of.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Hi PSac:

Not meant as an attack, and I appreciate your writing - but it occured to me:

How do you sacrfice someone that is immortal ?
    The only thing that "died" was Jesus's body.

...if we all have immortal souls, isn't the same argument on point? That any "sacrifice" or killing of a human might get a free pass because we're not touching the immortal part of them?

It seems that's been an argument in various parts of history, perhaps including "kill them all and let God sort them out"...

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Frankie, you are entitiled to feel that way and if you don't see the point or the benefit of God showing us that we are worth his suffering then I guess that is "OK too", I mean, I don't think that Jesus's message is for everyone and I believe that all of us find our way to God in our own way.

Voideater,

Not sure what you mean...Jesus's sacrifice was a voluntary one, one he did to himself, rather than God asking for a sacrifice or demanding one or what not, Jesus made himself the sacrifice, but the death part was really, in some ways, the less important part of the whole thing.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

P Sac,

I don't think that Jesus's message is for everyone and I believe that all of us find our way to God in our own way.

I suppose you must realize that is based on three very big assumptions 1)That God exists and 2)That we will all find our way to God and 3)That this is some how a noble task that destiny requires of all of us towards its completion.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Hi again PSac:

I have to be honest and say that I'm only curious about your belief (I appreciate your posts) - I don't have a particular affinity for Jesus myself.

One of the more unworkable rationales for Christ's death (to me) has been the "penal substitution" for Adam's bad acts - and your view seems to be something different.

If Jesus voluntary gave up something that wasn't really that meaningful or valuable (his human life), what was the point of his death?

Oh, I think I see what you're saying - that God was willing to go through the "human experience"...yes?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I suppose you must realize that is based on three very big assumptions 1)That God exists and 2)That we will all find our way to God and 3)That this is some how a noble task that destiny requires of all of us towards its completion.

Absolutly, I don't think that "the search for God" is for everyone and I think that if someone has put in the honest effort and has searched for God and not found God that it is somehow "their fault" for not finding God.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit