40 years ago today...

by poppers 22 Replies latest jw friends

• restrangled
    restrangled

Ahh, the Marines, considered the toughest of all the military.

Best regards poppers.. I had 3 cousins and an uncle in the Marines. What fine men they were!

3 died from exposure to agent orange in Vietnam, all Marines, and my Uncle, their father was a Marine Vet from WWII...He was on the Island of Pelieu and feigned death for 40 hours after getting hit. He survived and lived until he was close to 90.

r.

• awildflower
    awildflower

Yes, quite the surprise! I've been to both Wisconsin and San Diego I like something about both of them! Congrats!......wf

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Marines kick ass. To call up the immortal Chesty Puller....

Sometimes I think I should have gone into the service as a young man. But JWism....

However, I probably would have been a pampered Air Force geek working in an air conditioned room full of computers.

BTS

• restrangled
    restrangled

Meant to add....glad you're still here Poppers! Marines are the toughest soldiers!

r.

• poppers
    poppers

Check this out - it gets really good about 3 1/2 minutes into the video when they do "inspection arms".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyDIuSxRF1c&feature=related

• poppers
    poppers

Meant to add....glad you're still here Poppers! Marines are the toughest soldiers!

Thanks restrangled. I appreciate the sentiment. One small point, however. Marines never refer to themselves as "soldiers"; we're Marines! Soldiers are Army. My hats off to those guys, too.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Sir Yes Sir!

r.

• poppers
    poppers

Indeed. Who would have thought that the peaceful, enlightened Poppers had once been a gritty warrior?

We all change over time don't we?

I certainly have changed, but a part of my heart still belongs to the Corps. In a way it's very strange what has happened to me when I think about how I used to be. Well, lights out, hatches closed in 5 minutes; revelie at 0500.

• dissed
    dissed

Weird coincidence?

It was 40 years ago 'Gomer Pyle USMC' went off the air.

Please tell me, it wasn't Gomer's show that inspired you to become one of our nations finest?!

• poppers
    poppers

Sir Yes Sir!

If it happens again I'll run you clean out of San Diego County! (in my gravelly DI voice).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit