40 years ago today...

by poppers 22 Replies latest jw friends

• poppers
    poppers

I entered Marine Corps boot camp. It was -22 0 when I got on the bus at home in Wisconsin and 78 0 when I got off the plane in San Diego. Seems like yesterday. And yes, it's true...once a Marine always a Marine.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Semper Fi.

Happy Anniversary!!

-Aude.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Semper Fi!

• Robdar
    Robdar

Happy anniversary.

"Always faithful. The few, the proud, the Marines."

• poppers
    poppers

Thanks! Semper Fi!

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will....

My rifle and myself know that what counts in this war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit...

My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weakness, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will...

Before God I swear this creed. My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life. So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but Peace.

• poppers
    poppers

Ahhh...the memories! My good ol' M14 was my constant companion. Thanks BTS.

I can still smell the smell of 78 fellow recruits. All of us were issued Dial soap, Right Guard deoderant, and Crest toothpaste.

Pvt. poppers

• Open mind
    Open mind

I'd have never guessed that poppers.

What about the Marine Corps still resonates most strongly for you?

om

• poppers
    poppers

What about the Marine Corps still resonates most strongly for you?

The esprit de corps. It's a small branch of the service compared to the other branches, and they made us feel we were very special. Our training was like no other. They still do that today, maintaining a tradition that goes back to 1775. I still feel a bond with the USMC and all of its former and current members.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I'd have never guessed that poppers.

Indeed. Who would have thought that the peaceful, enlightened Poppers had once been a gritty warrior?

We all change over time don't we?

But then, it is all war, isn't it?

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit