Twilight movies

by darnkid 12 Replies latest jw friends

• darnkid
    darnkid

Does anyone know exactly what the Society has said on the Twilight movies? Is it a matter of conscience or a real no-no? My children are witnesses, I am DF'd so I can't say anything, but one of them indulges in these movies and books-the baptized one who won't visit me or talk to me unless absolutely necessary. I am thinking complete hypocrisy.

Anyone have any information?

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

The borg doesn't name specific movies because they can't possibly name all the ones they think are the devil.

I would think that the body of elders in her congregation would strongly frown on her seeing such films and reading such books. Vampires are the devil. And worse, they drink BLOOD.

Someone would be counseled on such entertainment and if they showed a bad attitude about it, then real trouble could result.

So yeah, any JW who claims to follow the borg should know better.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I dunno. In the 1970s, I went with some Witness kids from the Kingdom Hall to see "Love at First Bite".

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

We had to sneak out to see Ghostbusters, but it was worth it. Never got caught, either.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Funny. I went with a group to see Ghostbusters, which included a ministerial servant.

• sir82
    sir82

They'd never name it by title in any publication.

Any uber-zealous elder might name it in a talk, though.

And if anyone were dumb enough to ask an elder if he should go see it, he would of course be "strongly counseled" against it.

• awildflower
    awildflower

I know if I were still in and being the jw I was, they would have been out in my house but of course we are not 'in' anymore. But I have a 13 year old daughter who is obsessed with the series (I am too actually). And I know of jw's who are into it but kind of on the sly. So IMHO, the society would say they were a no no. And although like mentioned above, there's to many things specifically to name from the platform, my bet is that because this Twilight thing is huge, that it will be specifically talked about one day if not already.........wf

• darnkid
    darnkid

I keep hearing it is not a vampire movie, it is a love story. Yeah right. My youngest daughter doesn't approve of her sister being involved but their dad made it a conscience matter, then gets onto her for the movies she likes. Real christian family. My youngest said they gave a talk at the KH and used the movie name. But I don't know the content of the talk and I had heard somewhere that they spoke the movie name at one of the conventions.

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

Well, my daughter loves the books and movies. Her classmate, who is an elders daughter is allowed to read the books, but is not allowed to watch the movies??

• 38wastedyears
    38wastedyears

I've been wondering about this, too, because I've seen a lot of JW's on Facebook with Twilight related pages on their profiles...I know that there is no way my parents would have allowed them in the house or let me read them. In fact, I was still living at home when I read the first book, and I remember holing up in my room to read it so it wouldn't be seen.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit