"the Bible contains no scientific inaccuracies"

by nicolaou 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

That's the incredible statement made by the Watchtower in 2007. (*** g 11/07 p. 8 4. Scientific Accuracy ***) It's nothing new though, they've been churning out variations on this theme for decades . . .

1951 *** w51 6/1 p. 325 par. 2 How Practical Is the Bible? ***
    Though the Bible is not provided as a textbook on science, yet when it touches on scientific matters it is accurate and true.

2007 *** bh chap. 2 p. 21 par. 8 The Bible—A Book From God ***

the Bible is not a science textbook. But when it touches on scientific matters, it is accurate.

But something has changed, we do not live in 1951 anymore (not that the 50's we're scientifically illiterate). Really, what excuses are there for swallowing this type of dogma in 2010? We all have access to information our grandparents could barely conceive of, why disregard all that? And does it not betray brazen dishonesty on the part of any creationist group to print statements like that today when the refutation is so abundant and complete?

Really, would any believer here dare to agree with the Watchtowers bald statement that "the Bible contains no scientific inaccuracies"?

• snowbird
    snowbird

During the Dark Ages when Bible reading was forbidden by the clergy, it would have been a good thing for the common folk to know of the Bible's position on quarantining.

Sylvia

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I agree. The Bible does contain some good hygiene guidelines and certainly some scientific truth too. But that is hardly the same as agreeing with the monstrous statement that "the Bible contains no scientific inaccuracies".

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

That's why the Bible states it took 6 days for God to create heavens and earth. 13 billion years minus 6 days inaccuarate.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    That's why the Bible states it took 6 days for God to create heavens and earth. 13 billion years minus 6 days inaccuarate.
    Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. NIV

The "beginning" could have been even more than 13 billion years ago.

Sylvia

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

A few possibilities, we know a day for God is as 1,000 years for us, so could be 6,000 years, or even going into bible symbolism, a day equals a year, 365 days then 1,000 for each of God's days, if did 365X1000X6 got over 2 million years. Anyway, unless your told by who wrote it what was meant by it or other scriptures to clarify, it's not saying 6 human days. INFACT our "days" are based on the sun, so how could it be if the sun hadn't even been created yet?

• snowbird
    snowbird

I believe the Sun was from "the beginning," but something (cosmic dust from the Big Bang?) kept its light from reaching Earth.

Sylvia

• VM44
    VM44

This is Scientifically Inaccurate - Genetics does NOT work this way!

From Genesis 30.

31 Then he said: “What shall I give you?” And Jacob went on to say: “You will give me nothing whatsoever! If you will do this thing for me, I shall resume shepherding your flock. I shall continue guarding it. 32 I will pass among your whole flock today. You set aside from there every sheep speckled and with color patches, and every dark-brown sheep among the young rams and any color-patched and speckled one among the she-goats. Hereafter such must be my wages. 33 And my right-doing must answer for me on whatever future day you may come to look over my wages; every one that is not speckled and color-patched among the she-goats and dark brown among the young rams is something stolen if it is with me.”

34 To this La´ban said: “Why, that is fine! Let it be according to your word.” 35 Then he set aside on that day the he-goats striped and color-patched and all the she-goats speckled and color-patched, every one in which there was any white and every one dark brown among the young rams, but he gave them over into the hands of his sons. 36 After that he set a distance of three days’ journey between himself and Jacob, and Jacob was shepherding the flocks of La´ban that remained over.

37 Then Jacob took for his use staffs still moist of the storax tree and of the almond tree and of the plane tree and peeled in them white peeled spots by laying bare white places which were upon the staffs. 38 Finally the staffs that he had peeled he placed in front of the flock, in the gutters, in the water drinking troughs, where the flocks would come to drink, that they might get into a heat before them when they came to drink.

39 Consequently the flocks would get in heat before the staffs, and the flocks would produce striped, speckled and color-patched ones. 40 And Jacob separated the young rams and then turned the faces of the flocks to the striped ones and all the dark-brown ones among the flocks of La´ban. Then he set his own droves by themselves and did not set them by the flocks of La´ban. 41 And it always occurred that whenever the robust flocks would get in heat, Jacob would locate the staffs in the gutters before the eyes of the flocks, that they might get in heat by the staffs. 42 But when the flocks showed feebleness he would not locate them there. So the feeble ones always came to be La´ban’s, but the robust ones Jacob’s.

• sir82
    sir82
    The "beginning" could have been even more than 13 billion years ago.

Woops! Wait a minute!

That's not what the Bible says....

Exodus 20:11 (New International Version)
    11 For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day.

According to Exodus, "the 6 days" of Genesis incorporate the creation of the "heavens and the earth". There is no "before" the first day.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Genesis 2:4 These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens ... NIV

One day or six?

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit