How does the WTS explain how the battle of Armageddon will be fought?

by RULES & REGULATIONS 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• PSacramento
  • Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

You have to remember that this is simply WTS theology. Most Christians view prophecy as literal.

Zechariah gives prophecies about the Messiah riding on an ass and of Judas receiving 30 pieces of silver, yet when it comes to the final great war, they go non-literal, even though there's not one prophecy in the scriptures that is "spiritual."

<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Bookman Old Style"; panose-1:2 5 6 4 5 5 5 2 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:647 0 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} p.MsoPlainText, li.MsoPlainText, div.MsoPlainText {margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Bookman Old Style"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; color:navy;} span.EmailStyle15 {mso-style-type:personal; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-ansi-font-size:12.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Bookman Old Style"; mso-ascii-font-family:"Bookman Old Style"; mso-hansi-font-family:"Bookman Old Style"; color:black; font-weight:normal; font-style:normal; text-decoration:none; text-underline:none; text-decoration:none; text-line-through:none;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

The scenario is like this: At some future time, a great host will come from the North. It will make alliances with the nations round about Jerusalem and it will come down with the specific goal of destroying the city. Two prophets will be called and stand against them, calling down fire and using the power of God in behalf of the beleaguered nation. After they have been killed, Gog and his armies will take one-third of the city. After three days, these two prophets will stand upon their feet and ascend into heaven. A great earthquake will rend the Mount of Olives and many of the remaining Jews will flee into the chasm created by the quake. A man will descend from heaven into their midst, whom the Jews will take as the Messiah. But when they see the wounds in his hands, and in his feet, one will ask, “What are these wounds....?” And the Lord will say, “These are the wounds I received in the house of my friends.” Then, says the Lord through Zechariah, “I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.”

The prophet continues, explaining: “And the land shall mourn, every family apart; the family of the house of David apart, and their wives apart; the family of the house of Nathan apart, and their wives apart.” (Zechariah 12)

Zechariah also states: "For I will gather all nations against Jerusalem to battle; and the city shall be taken, and the houses rifled, and the women ravished; and half of the city shall go forth into captivity, and the residue of the people shall not be cut off from the city. Then shall the LORD go forth, and fight against those nations, as when he fought in the day of battle. And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives, which is before Jerusalem on the east, and the mount of Olives shall cleave in the midst thereof toward the east and toward the west, and there shall be a very great valley; and half of the mountain shall remove toward the north, and half of it toward the south. And ye shall flee to the valley of the mountains; for the valley of the mountains shall reach unto Azal: yea, ye shall flee, like as ye fled from before the earthquake in the days of Uzziah king of Judah: and the LORD my God shall come, and all the saints with thee. (Chapter 14)

Israel has been formed and it is being gathered. The prophecies fulfilled will be fulfilled literally, just as all other prophecies have been. To ascribe "spiritual" fulfillments to them only muddies the waters. Que sera, sera!

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Sheesh, this is the crappiest editor I've ever seen. Let me try again.

You have to remember that this is simply WTS theology. Most Christians view prophecy as literal.

Zechariah gives prophecies about the Messiah riding on an ass and of Judas receiving 30 pieces of silver, yet when it comes to the final great war, they go non-literal, even though there's not one prophecy in the scriptures that is "spiritual."

The scenario is like this: At some future time, a great host will come from the North. It will make alliances with the nations round about Jerusalem and it will come down with the specific goal of destroying the city. Two prophets will be called and stand against them, calling down fire and using the power of God in behalf of the beleaguered nation. After they have been killed, Gog and his armies will take one-third of the city. After three days, these two prophets will stand upon their feet and ascend into heaven. A great earthquake will rend the Mount of Olives and many of the remaining Jews will flee into the chasm created by the quake. A man will descend from heaven into their midst, whom the Jews will take as the Messiah. But when they see the wounds in his hands, and in his feet, one will ask, “What are these wounds....?” And the Lord will say, “These are the wounds I received in the house of my friends.” Then, says the Lord through Zechariah, “I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.”

The prophet continues, explaining: “And the land shall mourn, every family apart; the family of the house of David apart, and their wives apart; the family of the house of Nathan apart, and their wives apart.” (Zechariah 12)

Zechariah also states: "For I will gather all nations against Jerusalem to battle; and the city shall be taken, and the houses rifled, and the women ravished; and half of the city shall go forth into captivity, and the residue of the people shall not be cut off from the city. Then shall the LORD go forth, and fight against those nations, as when he fought in the day of battle. And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives, which is before Jerusalem on the east, and the mount of Olives shall cleave in the midst thereof toward the east and toward the west, and there shall be a very great valley; and half of the mountain shall remove toward the north, and half of it toward the south. And ye shall flee to the valley of the mountains; for the valley of the mountains shall reach unto Azal: yea, ye shall flee, like as ye fled from before the earthquake in the days of Uzziah king of Judah: and the LORD my God shall come, and all the saints with thee. (Chapter 14)

Israel has been formed and it is being gathered. The prophecies fulfilled will be fulfilled literally, just as all other prophecies have been. To ascribe "spiritual" fulfillments to them only muddies the waters. Que sera, sera!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit