Ladies, MS or Elders?

by asilentone 11 Replies latest jw experiences

• asilentone
    asilentone

Ladies, While you were in the org, did you wish to be MS or Elder? Has any conversation take place between JW ladies about this issue ?

• Heartbreaker
    Heartbreaker

I can honestly say that I didn't envy them at all, but what really irked me was that I couldn't give a talk facing the audience. I just really thought it was because the women were better at conversations, and the men were just full of hot air (a tell about my upbringing and childhood, huh?)

I'd never want position in the congregation, as its just more work and more stress.

Good thing I quit...and that I'm not a man. My husband felt the same way by the way. He'd pioneered, but never reached out for "position".

• twinkle toes
    twinkle toes

Nope.

I did want to be able to hang out at the back of the hall and not pay attention like the MS'S do.

tt

• doublelife
    doublelife

No. I didn't like praying on bible studies and I certainly didn't want to pray in front of the congregation.

• Palimpsest
    Palimpsest

I can't say I ever thought much about it, though when I was young, I remember being disappointed that my brother got to help with the microphones and I didn't. I've always been a helper and an organizer, and I did feel like I missed out on some of the "fun" (to me) tasks like working behind the counter or doing anything other than scrubbing urinals at conventions. (Oh, how I hated the cleaning...) And it did bother me that I couldn't read at book study, especially on nights when we only had one elder and no MS present (it was a very small, female-dominated group).

But in terms of wanting a formal position with a title? No, I didn't. I just wanted to be able to pick how I participated, and to be able to do some of the tasks that were available.

• megaflower
    megaflower

No, never wanted the headache of that job. The one thing that did bother me was the way the men treated the women. They loved to shove their authority around and tell the women you will do this and that. They could never lend a hand just dictate what needed to be done. It was rare when a male, ANY MALE would help with the cleaning of the hall esp the bathrooms. When it was time for meals, again hey all you sisters-we need meals for the pioneer school stc. HMM why can't you do something too? OH yea, they held the position of authority, so they where good at at shouting out orders. It was a committeee for this and that but not a whole lot ever got done. They would give talks about the capable wife and she could do it all. However, once she walked throught the doors of a kingdom hall she was considered a warm body and not much else. Do I seem bitter- well YES Iam.

• VIII
    VIII

When you are away from it you realize what a thankless job it is. However, when you are in the cult, you think it is a pretty good gig. You have all the ladies waiting on you. You don't have to put a napkin on your head. You do get to tell others what to do. Or not. You get to be a bully. Or not. You pretty much have it made. Being the "head of the household" and all.

As a female you are in a flux. You go out in the real world and are expected to fit in and act *normal* and work and perhaps take a leadership or supervisory role in your job. You go to your place of worship and you turn into an Amish housewife. Total disconnect.

Oh, and no toilet cleaning duty. That one always sucks.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Hmph. I harbored an extreme dislike for the attitude of the WTBTS towards females; didn't fully understand its source until I began associating with Middle Eastern men - and their American wives/girlfriends... Then it all became crystal clear...

However, I NEVER wanted to be a male in the WTBTS... Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely; the JW men I saw were generally "drunk with power" and didn't see how greedy, selfish, rude and unChristian they looked...

[Not all were like that; there were a few kind, fair-minded brothers and elders, but...]

On the other hand, it takes a VERY STRONG personality to remain fair-minded when handed 'divine' authority over their fellow humans... Don't know whether I'd have the strength of character to be any different, in their shoes...

Zid

• ILTSF
    ILTSF

Honestly, I never wanted to be an elder or MS. I just didn't care enough, but maybe that's because as a girl, there wasn't even any point in thinking about whether or not I would like that. However, I totally wanted to be able to handle the microphones as a kid. I was always pissed that I couldn't.

• blondie
    blondie

Why settle for MS or elder, why not the whole enchilada, GB member.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit