Did the Nazi colonel from "Inglourious Basterds" remind anyone else of...

by inkling 15 Replies latest jw friends

• inkling
    inkling

... a Circuit Overseer?

That first scene, with the searingly tense, sinister, faux-friendly visit and "conversation" over the glass of milk... the loaded-gun smile, and ominous bookbag... Something about his manner made think of some just horrific shepherding call.

(and no, I am not literally equating COs/Elders with Nazis... I am just saying the tone was reminisent, to me, of such meetings.)

[inkling]

• Robdar
    Robdar

No, but it's been quite awhile since I've seen a CO.

I loved the movie!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Hmmm, actually his "friendly" German demeanor reminded me a little of that elderly German elder in the "Youths What Are Ya Gonna Do With Your Life?" video. I sure relished Hans Landa's eviltude. Gotta love Quentin. Damn good movie, damn good. My favorite scene is when Shoshanna comes to Friedrich's body after she shoots him, seeing him still alive on the silver screen, then he blows her away (spoilers). The guy who played Hans deserves Best Supporting Oscar. Unbelievable that Leonardo DiCaprio was considered for the role; THANK GOD that never happened. And weird thing is, there is a lot of subtextual depth in the movie, lots of stuff worth analyzing from a literary point of view, which really surprised me for a Tarantino film.

• agonus
    agonus

I haven't seen the "What Will You Do With Your Life" video. Is it anywhere near as bad as the "How can I Make Real Friends" turd?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

It's a real piece of work. I could only watch it once, it was so bad.

• goldensky
    goldensky

Sorry to disagree, but I loved the video by the Society. One of my favourites. I cried tears of gratefulness and joy over it and had my children watch it too. They enjoyed it. Of course that was when we believed in it... The most emotional moment for me was when the unbelieving father attends the assembly where the youngster tells his experience (my husband being an unbeliever, it's understandable). My son was very touched too.

Inkling, thanks for pointing out that film. I hadn't even heard of it, but the preview I've just seen looks good. I'm going to download it now.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

This actor is a lock for Best Supporting Actor at this year's Oscars, IMHO.

I guess he did sort of remind you of a Circuit Overseer, or an elder paying a "friendly visit", trying to determine your guilt.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Just saw the movie finally. I was really impressed at how Tarantino is evolving as an artist. The scalpings didn't bother me but I could have done without the baseball bat scene. The story as a whole was very involving and put me on the edge of my seat more than once.

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

I agree the guy who played Hans Landa was superb. Chillingly malevolent. I did find it tricky to listen to Brad Pitt's accent and for a while wondered if his character had some kind of brain damage or speech impediment.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

He reminded me of Alfred Bester from the Babylon 5 series.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit