The Flip Side of Jesus: Mean, Mad, Murderous

by cameo-d 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

I have noticed a very disturbing trend. But I suppose when any religion owns it's deity (s) they can pretty much dress him any way they want.

Religions are changing Jesus from the kind peace-lover who advised his followers to "do good to those who spitefully use you" and "love one another, even your enemies."

Now, Jesus is fed up and he's coming back as a killer.

Anyone who has loved ones sitting in a pew needs to be prepared to see this changed Jesus that is being preached.

I always understood the "sword" to be words that cut, not an actual steel- forged implement. But religionists, just like WT, I suppose, are equating sword with fire and brimstone annihilation.

Some religions are teaching a new doctrine; well, maybe it's not new. Perhaps it's just the flip side of Jesus. Has the NT been completely contrived? When did this happen? 1611? Or later?

Cognitive dissonance : "A state of psychic tension caused by the simultaneous holding of mutually inconsistent attitudes or the existence of a lack of consonance between attitudes and behavior."

Are we to believe now that Jesus came to destroy the non-conformists and was never meant to be the pacifist good-guy?

------------------

quote:

The New Testament would have us kiss the hand of the man thrusting the knife in our gut. Jesus supposedly said referring to the Pharisees that killed him, "Father forgive them for they know not what they do." This is very bizarre since this came after Jesus had called them vipers, sons of Hell, and dead men. From the forgeries found in the New Testament a new love gospel was created.

------------------------

There are claims that Jesus was actually militant; a 'zero-tolerance' kind of guy.

And of course they have found a way to use scripture to make their case. Like "I didn't come to bring peace, I came to bring a sword."

I am sure WT will be using stronger and stronger divisional language as we go further into this regime change. They will be bombarding loved ones with scriptures like (Jesus said) those who love father, or mother, or children, more than they love me are not worthy of me. "

Is Jesus starting to sound a little schizophrenic yet? A bit heavy handed on the manipulating through guilt and loyalty?

Is this the same Jesus you grew to love and admire? Doesn't he seem to be going through a character change with these words?

This next one especially reminds me of Watchtower World. It's absolutely ludicrous that they took the FDS from a parable and made it into a "real entity" when it is so totally out of context for what the parable meant!

Well, this next one is the same way. When you go back and read it in the parable....it makes no legitimate sense being used like this.

-------------

Quote:

"But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them, bring them here and kill them in front of me." Luke 19:27 (NIV)

------------------

Does this really sound like the character of Jesus? This, like the FDS, is another parable taken out of context with deliberate attempt to manipulate a different kind of message.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

The above is the message that the WT has been preaching since before my father converted seventy years ago. It has been a carrot and stick religion since Rutherford's day and killer Gods have always been the stick.

I was brought up by Jehovah's Terrorist. This stuff has been rammed down my throat since I was born. I never had any love for my parent's gods. How could I? The bastards were always threatening to kill me.

Cheers

Chris

• designs
    designs

Jihadists come in all denominations

Wasn't Blackwater George Bush's Evangelical army for hire...

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Black Sheep: "The above is the message that the WT has been preaching since before my father converted seventy years ago. "

Chris,

I am sorry that I have brought up so much pain for you. I guess we do have a bit of a "culture clash" since I am not a JW.

These new teachings and twisted scriptures disturb me because in Protestant churches it has always been "Jesus is love" and stories of compassion.

Maybe this is a sign that other denominations are beginning to come in line and kind of merge with some of the WT doctrine.

It seems all religions are beginning to melt and blend together with all the interfaith transactions that are taking place.

I had never seen Jesus portrayed as coming to reek bloody havock until I saw some of the JW mags that, to me, seemed to use Jehovah and Jesus as interchangeable commodities.

Jehovah was always the one doing the killing. But I noticed how WT switched back and forth between Jehovah and Jesus sometimes in the same sentence. Almost as though confusing the two identities.

Black Sheep: "I was brought up by Jehovah's Terrorist. This stuff has been rammed down my throat since I was born. I never had any love for my parent's gods. How could I? The bastards were always threatening to kill me."

I am so sorry. What a horrible childhood you must have had. How sad to have not been given any loving role models....even if it was an invisible deity.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

IF Jesus was militant then he wouldhave been juts like all the others like the Zealots.

The fact is that he was probably loving and caring and forgiving because that was what made his message unique at the time.

If Jesus was God then being mean and murderous doesn't sound very enlightened and if Jesus was "simply" the SOn of God then he would imitate his Father and again, mean and murderous is not very "superiour".

Jesus did have heavy words for the pharisees and the scribes, for how they manipulated and mislead the people by their false doctrines and their false writtings.

Wouldn't you?

I mean, Jesus was all about love and forgiveness but that doesn't mean we don't pay for what we do, especially when we KNOW what we are doing is bad and we still do it.

As a society we may forgive a criminal when he repents, but he must still do the time.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

PSacramento: "If Jesus was God then being mean and murderous doesn't sound very enlightened "

Since WT is so big on promoting Isaac Newton....one of the things he wrote about, and perhaps WT takes this view, is that "Christ was god by office, not by nature". Still, I call it hogwash. Jesus was no relation to the compilation of OT deities that has been labeled as Jehovah.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

cameo-d,

IF the scribes of the OT had gotten the nature of YHWH right, there would have been no need for Jesus to came along.

The reason there seems to be such a difference between the "OT GOD" and the "NT GOD" is because the writers of the OT used YHWH to justify all the crap they were doing and to control people through hate, intimidation and fear.

• Walkin
    Walkin

Cameo-d, I would recommend a book that I read and think you would enjoy. "Misquoting Jesus" the story behind who changed the Bible and why. Bart D. Ehrman. How mistakes and changes shaped the Bible we read today. It tells us about the scribes, the scholars and Bible translators and their results.

Walkin

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Walkin, I have heard of that book and I have been meaning to get it, where does Ehrman get his views from?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I just read Daniel B Wallaces review of Ehrman's work, very interesting also.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit