Are Jehovah's Witnesses a Christian denomination? The Feb. Watchtower seems to say so

by slimboyfat 25 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I have not noticed the Witnesses referring to themselves in the literature as a Christian denomination before: is this a new development? The February 1st WT says on page 22:

"A high-school textbook, World Religions in Denmark, published in 2007, described Jehovah's Witnesses as a Christian minority who follow the Bible closely. In fact Jehovah's Witnesses are the third-largest Christian denomination in Denmark."

They don't merely seem to be saying that they are considered a Christian denomination, but that they are a Christian denomination. How does that sit with their claim to be the only true religion, and that no other groups are truly Christian? Is this a departure? Have they ever called themselves a denomination in the literature before?

I wonder how other Witnesses would react if I started referring to us as a Christian denomination when answering up at the meetings. If anyone objects I could point to the magazine.

• penny2
    penny2

There are a couple of interesting comments in this article.

"Neither the word "Trinity" nor the concept is found in God's Word."

How many WTS terms are not found in the bible?

Surely, someone who strives to obey Jesus' commands can be called Christian.

What about non-JWs who "strive to obey Jesus' commands?" I often hear JWs referring to themselves as "true Christians." However, when speaking about others they use the term "so-called Christians."

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

The word denomination is notable, however, they have always considered themselves Christian they just are used to bandying around the term "true" to describe their brand of Christianity.

• designs
    designs

If being included in the broad spectrum of Christian Denominations serves their interests legally in different countries they will use the term then continue the 'use vs them' distinctions.

I noticed the number of Branch Overseers attending UN conferences in Geneva......serving their own interests. Ah religion.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

The Evangelical Lutheran Church of Denmark had 81.5 % of the population in 2009.

The second biggest religion is Islam.

The Dubbie 'share' is only a share of the 18.5% of the population not covered by the Lutherans and Islam and there is still another Christian faith with more followers than them taking their dip of the pot.

Describing themselves as third largest sounds impressive, but a big share of bugger all is still bugger all and is not much of a haul for over a hundred years of preaching there.

I have never heard the WT describe itself as a Christian denomination before, but this is in a public edition which is all fluff and bait. I doubt you will see that notion repeated in a Kool Aid edition.

Cheers

Chris

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    If being included in the broad spectrum of Christian Denominations serves their interests legally in different countries they will use the term then continue the 'use vs them' distinctions.

I know Jehovah's Witnesses have long argued to be recognised as a denomination in a legal setting, but I have not seen them describe themselves that way in the magazines before. The phrase penny2 quoted is striking too:

"Surely, someone who strives to obey Jesus' commands can be called Christian."

Well surely, but how come it doesn't work both ways? Jehovah's Witnesses say they shouldn't be excluded from being Christian just because they don't accept the Trinity. But haven't they preached for over 100 years that anyone who does accept the Trinity cannot be Christian? Don't they still teach that? Unless they have suddenly decided to accept other denominations as Christians I find the article highly misleading. Any memeber of the public reading the magazine without knowing what Jehovah's Witnesses have said elsewhere would reasonably conclude Jehovah's Witnesses accept others as Christians and just want the same in return. In fact the opposite seems to be the case. Jehovah's Witnesses want others to recognise them as Christians but without returning the favour.

• designs
    designs

...Something about eating your cake and everyone else's...

• Chalam
    Chalam

In fact Jehovah's Witnesses are the third-largest Christian denomination in Denmark.

Jehovah's Witness are clearly not Christians i.e. following Christ and witnesses to the power of His name.

Matthew 1:21 (English Standard Version)

21 She will bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins."

Acts 4:11-12 (English Standard Version)

11 This Jesus is the stone that was rejected by you, the builders, which has become the cornerstone. 12 And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved."

Blessings,

Stephen

• designs
    designs

Stephen, stuff it with your fundamentalist claptrap, they are as much a 'Christian Denomination' as anything else in that historically proveable corrupt Religious realm. Your's ain't any better, you and your buddies just believe a different set of myths.

Shalom aleichem

• Tristram
    Tristram

More P.R. to appear mainstream to the public. Behind the closed doors of the KH JW's refer to themselves as "true" Christians.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit