What translation of the Bible do you use?

by Miss Chievous 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• possible-san
    possible-san

Hi, EndofMysteries.

Like many modern ones, and the ones used for the NWT were based on Westcot and Hort (you can see in the forward) which shows nobody in the WT ever translated the bible from hebrew or greek to english, they took an OUTSIDE SOURCE translation, and made a few edits. But the scriptures that are cut out of the bible, were done by Westcot and Hort, and they used theirs,

Since you probably dislike the NWT, you want to criticize it, but I think that your opinion is not correct.

First of all, what is the name of the Bible which "Westcott and Hort" translated?
    And is there basis for which the Governing Body used it?

possible

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

Below is some info, but look at the "foreword" in many of the NWT and you'll see them even state it was based on the text of Westcott and Hort. Apparently it was popular up till WW2 with several bible translations but now NWT one of the only ones it's still based off. Here is some info, and some online originals.

Westcott and Hort distinguished four text types in their studies. The most recent is Syrian, or Byzantine text-type, of which the newest example (thus from the critical text view less reliable) is the Textus Receptus. The Western text-type is much older, but tends to paraphrase, so according to them also lacks dependability. The Alexandrian text-type, exemplified in the codex Ephraemi, exhibits a polished Greek style. The two scholars identified their favorite text type as "Neutral text", exemplified by the two 4th century manuscripts codex Vaticanus (known to scholars since the 15th century) and codex Sinaiticus (discovered only in 1859), both of which they relied on heavily but not exclusively for this edition. This text has only a few changes of the original. [ 3 ] This edition based on the critical works especially of Tischendorf and Tregelles. [ 3 ]

Westcott and Hort worked on their Testament from 1853 until its completion in 1881 (Metzger, p. 129). It was followed by an Introduction and Appendix by Hort appearing in a second volume in 1882. In 1892, a revised edition was released by F. C. Burkitt.

http://openscriptures.org/prototypes/manuscript-comparator - is enlightening

Their translation was called the new testament in the original greek - relied heavily on the Vaticanus codex.

• possible-san
    possible-san

Excuse me.
    Please answer to my question first.

First of all, what is the name of the Bible which "Westcott and Hort" translated?
    And is there basis for which the Governing Body used it?

Probably, you need to arrange information in your head first.
    If not, you cannot criticize the NWT correctly.

The people in this forum are not criticizing the Watch Tower society on the basis of the incorrect information.

possible

• possible-san
    possible-san

Well, although I don't know whether there are those who need this information, I state anyway.

The Message Audio Bible Complete (torrent)
    http://www.fulldls.com/torrent-ebooks-348032.html

possible

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Although I think that the "Message Bible" which you recommend is a good book, is that MP3 provided?
    Even the NWT, we can obtain those MP3 files for free nowadays.

possible
    Well, although I don't know whether there are those who need this information, I state anyway.

The Message Audio Bible Complete (torrent)
    http://www.fulldls.com/torrent-ebooks-348032.html

possible

Hi Possible:

I see you found the answer.

Blessings.

Sylvia

• realJFpenguin
    realJFpenguin

For a study Bible - i.e., one that represents the Scriptures as closely as possible to their original form, I like the following translations:

New American Standard Bible

New King James Version

New Revised Standard Version

These were all translated by committees of scholars from a variety of backgrounds, all of whom hold a Ph.D. in Biblical languages and can probably understand the structure of the languages they are reading. Some rely more heavily on different manuscripts, as EndOfMysteries showed above, which accounts for the slight differences between them.

More readable, but slightly less exact, is the New International Version. They generally leave a note in the margin if they have to paraphrase something for clarity's sake.

English Standard Version is another decent one, although more heavily paraphrased. It breaks things down more and is a good choice for those with low literacy levels, or people from whom English is their second language. Contemporary English Version is another good one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit