What translation of the Bible do you use?

by Miss Chievous 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Miss Chievous
    Miss Chievous

After leaving the org I got a Compemporary English Version of the Bible and although it is not a word perfect translation it is so easy to read, something I never found with the NWT. It is the Youth version of that translation and along side the scriptures it has small sections on Bible history, major themes running through the scriptures, questions and answers on important issues, advice on real life situations and how to be Christian. Makes Bible reading much more enjoyable. I am wondering what other translations people here like using.

Miss C

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I picked up a Moffat's Bible at a garage sale.

Jimmy treated the Bible as a collection of historical documents and tried not to be influenced by the doctrines of his era, hence his translation gets trashed by Christian apologists who find that it is not compatable with their take on things.

It helped me to extract myself from the cult that I had the misfortune to be born into, and I am sure it helped me not to 'cult hop' into another one.

Cheers

Chris

• possible-san
  • Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I just Googled Moffat Bible to see what I got.

The first hit went like this:-

Moffatt's Bible EXPOSED!
    A NEW TRANSLATION by James Moffatt, 1922, is a corrupt version of the Bible. Moffatt calls his translation the "Holy Bible," but it is Satanic. ...

I guess that poster wasn't too impressed.

I found it very easy to read and, when I didn't like what it said, I couldn't back up my opinion from any other resource I had in my library.

Eventually I came to the opinion that all religious writings were man's thoughts about God rather than God's thoughts about man. Once I came to that conclusion the Bible (and other holy texts) made much more sense.

Cheers

Chris

• snowbird
    snowbird

I like the CEV, also.

When I read the prologue to the Gospel of John in it, I wept.

I mentioned this to a KH member and she stared at me as if I had seven heads and ten horns!

John 1
    The Word of Life

1 In the beginning was the one

who is called the Word.

The Word was with God

and was truly God.

2 From the very beginning

the Word was with God.

3 And with this Word,

God created all things.

Nothing was made

without the Word.

Everything that was created

4 received its life from him,

and his life gave light

to everyone.

5 The light keeps shining

in the dark,

and darkness has never

put it out. [a] 6 God sent a man named John,

7 who came to tell

about the light

and to lead all people

to have faith.

8 John wasn't that light.

He came only to tell

about the light.

9 The true light that shines

on everyone

was coming into the world.

10 The Word was in the world,

but no one knew him,

though God had made the world

with his Word.

11 He came into his own world,

but his own nation

did not welcome him.

12 Yet some people accepted him

and put their faith in him.

So he gave them the right

to be the children of God.

13 They were not God's children

by nature

or because

of any human desires.

God himself was the one

who made them his children.

14 The Word became

a human being

and lived here with us.

We saw his true glory,

the glory of the only Son

of the Father.

From him all the kindness

and all the truth of God

have come down to us.

15 John spoke about him and shouted, "This is the one I told you would come! He is greater than I am, because he was alive before I was born."

16 Because of all that the Son is, we have been given one blessing after another. [b] 17 The Law was given by Moses, but Jesus Christ brought us undeserved kindness and truth. 18 No one has ever seen God. The only Son, who is truly God and is closest to the Father, has shown us what God is like. CEV

I also like The Message Bible.

Sylvia

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Sometimes people ask me why the GOJ is my favorite, I point out what Sylvia just posted :)

• possible-san
    possible-san

Hi, snowbird.

I have a reason why especially I recommend the CEV.
    It is because there is the MP3 (especially "drama version") of it.

Moreover, on the Internet, that New Testament version is provided free of charge.
    http://www.faithcomesbyhearing.com/audio-bibles-every-tongue

Once, I paid money and bought that cassette version. (When I was an active JW)
    http://www.amazon.com/Faith-Comes-by-Hearing/dp/1574490826/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262913849&sr=8-8

Although I think that the "Message Bible" which you recommend is a good book, is that MP3 provided?

Even the NWT, we can obtain those MP3 files for free nowadays.

possible

• Oceanblue
    Oceanblue

I use the true images NIV. It's the Bible for teenage girls, but since I'm in my early 20's, I can still relate to the In Focus Articles they have that show how the Bible can relate to real life. There are also other features that you find as you read along. Overall, reading the Bible in this verison is actually fun and enjoyable to me than it ever was reading the NWT Bible along with the Watchtower.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

I have the New Jerusalem Bible. This is a "dynamic" translation, a text in modern language that conveys the sense of the original, not a literal word for word translation. Avoiding archaic language and literal translation of ancient idiomatic expressions makes it possible to concentrate on the message, rather than the wording. This is a Catholic translation, so it contains the seven deuterocanonical OT books most Protestant translations omit.

I also have a pocket-sized New Testament that the Gideon Society handed out on the college campus. I understand this is the King James Version, though it isn't identified as KJV on the title pages.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

I've been having to use online hebrew interlinear and online greek for new testament interlinear because ALL bibles got some big changes. For example, ADM and man are the same in all of Genesis and quite a few other scriptures. Yet they translate it when without a doubt talking about mankind in general as man, even thought it says ADM.

Any good reasonable hard copy interlinears available? Online is good but would like paper ones too.

Also, has anyone done research into the scrolls in which their copies of the bible were translated from? Like many modern ones, and the ones used for the NWT were based on Westcot and Hort (you can see in the forward) which shows nobody in the WT ever translated the bible from hebrew or greek to english, they took an OUTSIDE SOURCE translation, and made a few edits. But the scriptures that are cut out of the bible, were done by Westcot and Hort, and they used theirs, and theirs was translated from scrolls found in 1700's, vs the ones used to make the KJV, they claim theirs was more reliable but it was older then the one used in the KJV.

Anyway, not so sure about that. But thats another story.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit