Hotel California and Jehovahs Witnesses????

by zions watchman 10 Replies latest jw friends

• zions watchman
    zions watchman

It occured to me the song Hotel California describes the life of a JW....This songs lyrics describes a luxury resort where "you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave." I have listen to this song many times but the other day when it came the radio it HIT ME!!!!

• cantleave
    cantleave

Yeah it hit me a few months back.

• changeling
    changeling

Yup. :)

• JWoods
    JWoods

Ironic that a good JW would think this song is somehow demonized...

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Type "Hotel California" into the search feature and see how many times this analogy has been used in reference to the cult.

• out4good3
    out4good3

I think that song was actually written about heroine addiction, but it can just as well be applied to being JW.

• zoiks
    zoiks

JWoods - I enjoy that irony as well.

A friend of a friend of a friend tried to burn that album because it was demonized and...IT WOULDN'T BURN!

• restrangled
    restrangled

Thought the same thing the first time I ever heard the lyrics many years ago.

Infact, a CO told my mom there are only 2 ways out of the J.W.s .....disfellowshipping or death and they amount to the same.

YOU CAN NEVER LEAVE!

A Heads up for anyone considering baptism.

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

Love this song and now I love it even more.

• Locutus of Borg
    Locutus of Borg

I got that back in 1977 when the song was first released. It was just one of a long series of cognitive "triggers" for me. Triggers that all added up and eventually led to me walking away from the Kult . .

There was a young fella I worked in with a machine shop in Manchester, NH in 1977. His name was Vernon. He sang in a local band and he would practice to tracks while working . . he was very good. I got to really hear the lyrics to this song while he practiced at work while operating a Burgmaster Machining Center making submarine parts, me too, at this point I wasn't going to let a little thing like that keep me from supporting my family . .

Vern, wherever you are . . thanks!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit