Trotting Out Old Light and Making it New Again- 1975

by OnTheWayOut 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

WTS is great at rebooting old doctrines and rewriting their own history. They need the members to feel that Armageddon is imminent, so I have a proposal for the GB members reading this forum.

When the end failed to come in 1975, WTS offered their explanation that Eve was created some time after Adam, and that some time passed before she and Adam sinned. It must have been more time than they originally calculated.

My mother is still a die-hard believer in the 1975 excuse. She actually believes the end is coming based on 6000 years of God's Rest Day passing after Eve was created. The 6th creative day must have ended before her sin, so that God could proclaim- It was good.

The Bible directly states that Adam was 130 when Seth was born, and that the whole sin and being thrown out of Eden and the birth and raising of Cain and Abel happened before the birth of Seth. Assuming Cain was born nine months after Adam sinned (the earliest possible time to have an imperfect baby born of sin), and assuming he was just a teenager when he murdered his brother- we arrive at about 110 to 115 years from Adam's creation to the maximum time period before the 6th creative day must have ended. (Do I sound like Fred Franz?)

NOW- add that to 1975, and we arrive at 2090. You see why they don't need to abandon this yet. That's right- the teaching that the Millenium rule would start in the beginning of the last 1000 years of a 7000 year "day" of Rest was never abandoned.

I remember how the members were led to believe that the 1914 generation had to be "adults" then later changed that to "an age of reasoning" which meant 9 or 10 years old, then finally the WTS just let the members believe that anyone born by 1914 was of that "generation." They could do the same thing now and revive the old Fred Franz stuff about 1975, the 6000 years, and the whole shebang. They could start the members to believing that Adam probably lived about 30 to 35 years before Eve was created, so the end must be imminent by now, 35 years after the anniversary of 6000 years of creation. They can insist that the math is sound and "from Jehovah" showing the GB how close we are to the end. Then they can hammer the imminent end for quite a few more decades.

This would go well with their "Overlap Theory" of the Anointed that they tried out at their annual meeting- that the lives of anointed of the 1914 generation would overlap the lives of the anointed on the last day.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

OTWO, congratulatons, you just got yourself a job on the farm.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Owww....my head hurts when I try to do WT math.

• choosing life
    choosing life

Interesting. Maybe you could apply for a job in the writing department?

Really, you make it sound so plausible and Watchtowerish. I think you have their tricks all figured out. I guess there is not much chance of an end to their doctrines in our lifetime. Too bad, I have kids still trapped inside, like many others on here.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff
    When the end failed to come in 1975, WTS offered their explanation that Eve was created some time after Adam, and that some time passed before she and Adam sinned. It must have been more time than they originally calculated.

Wally Liverance taught this on a whiteboard when explaining 1975 in our 1st day of class! Hillarious. My Spidey sense didn't go off on that one. I looked at that whiteboard and went "Oh, thats interesting." Then I went on looking for my next ego stroke.

It will be 35 years this year since Eve sinned according to this bullshit explanation. What it means (since it has never been officially disavowed) is that they still believe in 1975, just an adjusted view of it that never ends. Yes, thats right, Eve sinned, and 35 years later, Adam did to. Eve kept that apple for at least 35 years and showed it to Adam, who was so tempted at the old withered rotten fruit that he couldn't help himself. In the meantime, Adam didn't touch his wife or tried to procreate.

I am sorry, I lost my yardstick wading through this shit.

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

Problem is, you can't even calculate accurate years from Adam to the flood using the bible nevermind the 6000 years

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

My grandpa still holds out on that 6,000 day thing. I explained one of my problems with the org (after they sentenced me to a "study" with him) was 1975, and with a smile he said, "We still don't know how long Eve was created after Adam."

So he'd be very much interested in any rebooting of the 6,000 years thing.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Owww....my head hurts when I try to do WT math.

And that's admitting it out loud, the members generally won't bother to check on the WT math because it's too confusing.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

ATJ, I am not privy to any teaching you are referring to. I am not saying that they said that Eve sinned and Adam waited some years.

They said that Adam was created 6000 years prior to 1975. They said that Eve was created some time afterward. They do not have any clue from the Bible how much time passed from Adam's creation to Eve's creation nor how much more time passed before Eve ate the apple. We only know that by the time Adam was 130, Seth was born after Adam and Eve had sinned and had two other children.

WTS can squeeze a long time period even up to 115 years onto the time of Eve's biting into the apple if they wanted to. That means that the 6th creative day didn't have to end until 6000 years prior to 2090. That still gives time for teen Cain and Able to have their dispute. Heck, you could even push it a tiny bit further back and say that Seth may have already been a child when Cain slew Able, but the wording of the Bible is slightly misleading on that. I mean, it makes no sense that Adam and Eve had two boys and stopped having children while the first two grew up.

If Adam and Eve going without procreating seems like a problem, they can speculate that 100+ years passed before Eve was even created. But first, they would speculate that a more reasonable number of years would have been 30 to 35 years. That puts Armageddon right at our feet, but possibly still 80 years away.

All the current baptized members will be dead in 80 years or on death's doorstep. Nobody who proposes this will have to clean up the mess. By then, they will have re-written their history and buried another failed false prophecy.

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

OTWO - quite a few of the old timers still belive the 6000 years of rest thing, so Armageddon would come 6000 years after Eve was created. I hear a few of them say things like "It's been 34 years, Adam must be getting lonely..."

I've always wondered if the societys date for Adam's creation, 4026 bce, was dependent on counting back from 607? Anyone know?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit