2010 Calendar of JWs

by sd-7 17 Replies latest jw friends

• sd-7
    sd-7

Wife just asked me to put up 2010 JW calendar. Theme text for year is 'Love endures all things. Love never fails,' I think. As I flipped through the pages of the calendar (apart from thinking, as stated in second Transformers movie, "Kitten calendar kitten calendar kitten calendar kitten calendar"), I assumed that since the theme was love, they might choose pictures to provide some evidence of the love JWs show.

So, what I found was: congregation meetings, Kingdom Hall construction, Ministerial Training School, Conventions & Assemblies, Disaster Relief, and...I forget the last one. It immediately struck me as curious that they did not show Field Service on this list of items that would provide opportunities to show love. Disaster relief was geared towards only those inside the organization, and the calendar clearly mentioned such (though I should hope that's not strictly true).

What I did not find was any evidence of love shown to anyone who is not one of Jehovah's Witnesses. With the amalgam of abilities available to a religion like this, the potential for doing real good for humanity is extraordinary. Imagine being able to build homes for people quickly, just as they build Kingdom Halls. Helping EVERYONE in a disaster scenario. Providing education facilities to teach EVERYONE, not just our own people. These are all things that other religions do.

The 'Come Be My Follower' book details that Christendom's efforts to help others are rendered irrelevant by the 'false doctrines and supporting of war'. Has the Society ever taught false doctrine? Certainly not...those were uh, "past truths". Did every other person in every other Christian religion blow the other guy up or pray for their deaths when war happened? There would be no way to prove that; that would be an assumption. Show us a picture with some random priest blessing troops, and that means every other Christian did the same thing, right? Of course. Right when this organization was being evaluated by Jesus Christ, supposedly, they were no cleaner than any other religion--if anything, they couldn't even hold onto the basic teachings of the Bible for holding onto Russell's false ideas ("wrong expectations").

Jesus said his followers would be known for the love they had amongst themselves. But he also mentioned that displaying kindness to your brothers only makes you no different from anyone else. Everyone does that. It is tragic that good people in this religion go through their whole lives believing they're the best, most loving people in the world. When in reality, their entire existence is mired in prejudice against everyone who is not them.

So...whenever I enter my kitchen, I'm reminded of that. Always a great way to start the morning.

SD-7

• dissed
    dissed

good review of the calendar -

Wouldn't that make a good JW anti-xmas gift? To sooth their conscience of not giving gifts and witness at the same time.

"Here's your calendar. Don't forget to give consideration to the donation part on the last page."

• yknot
    yknot

Maybe you should replace it with a 2010 version of "The Calendar of Jehovah God".......

When she ask 'What the Hay'......you can hand her some printouts from the Golden Age

http://www.archive.org/details/theCalendarOfJehovahGod

• sd-7
    sd-7

Oh

My

Gosh.

What the frak is that Calendar of Jehovah God?

This

was food

at the proper time.

Holy crap...I'm in a cult for real. I'm surprised we're not required to learn both calendars. Wonder why they iced this idea? It would've been one of the best ways to truly own a person's mind. I mean, changing the CALENDAR? Now that's power. Wow. I'd love to use this thing. I'd love to see the look on her face, too. Ha ha. I might just do that someday.

SD-7

• blondie
    blondie

When they stopped doing pics from Bible stories and made the calendar smaller, I stopped ordering them and got "worldly" calendars. I love those of places out west in the US and Canada.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Almost every JW needs a regular calendar up somewhere. Despite the fact that they don't celebrate holidays, they need to know when they are. My wife always posted the JW calendar in some obscure place and put a regular calendar in the more prominent place.

It's just easier to write "Memorial" on a single day on the regular calendar than have one without the holidays on it.

• undercover
    undercover
    Wife just asked me to put up 2010 JW calendar.

I can't help but think this was some kind of dig at you... I mean, how hard is it to hang a calender? It's not like you were framing it in a heavy gold embossed frame and having to reinforce the wall to support the weight or anything...

"Dear...will you please hang my Theocratic calender? And please note the theme and how all those brothers in the illustrations are showing 'true love'. Wouldn't it be wonderful if you could be like that? I hope my feeble effort to instill guilt in you works so you'll come back to meetings..."

• blondie
    blondie

Other things on a "wordly" calendar, start of spring, summer, fall, winter, beginning and ending of daylight savings time,

• yknot
    yknot

It was too out-there for Rutherford (so was banning blood transfusions) so he dropped kicked the idea to the curb.

In many ways discerning that Clayton's best skill wasn't as editor of the GA rather that he loved coming up with ideas and motivations that pleased Rutherford. It also helps to discern the time period in which he lived regarding his medical quackery.

• lancelink
    lancelink

That was one heck of a comment Mr sd-7, thank you for posting it.

But at the same time I feel a little sorry for you, having to look at the calendar every day

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit