Advise about my mom.

by doublelife 12 Replies latest jw friends

• doublelife
    doublelife

Thanks for the feedback.

yknot: I already tried that "Society" verses "the branch office" question. She actually gave a reason other than because they said so. She said something to the effect that the society is the corporate office that handles legal matters and the branch office is the Christian Congregation or something like that. My only response was that they say that now but I remember back when we were first told to no longer say "society" it was because it sounded like a cult to outsiders. She neither argued it nor agreed with it. Just shrugged her shoulders.

blondie: I just got of the phone with my mom and yes, it was Knocking. I remember seeing it when it was making the movie festival rounds. And it was pretty accurate.

So I asked my mom what it said that made the witnesses a cult. She said that it wasn't a lot. Just that there was a woman at the being that said, "They're a cult. They're a cult." And the guy who was doing the documentary said that "they don't do this and they don't do that." And he was just saying it in a negative way. She also said that if she was not a jw and she saw it, she would have the impression that jws were a cult. The more she talked about it, I could tell her defenses where starting to go up. So I turned the topic off of cults and onto how documentaries are suppose to show both sides. And she agreed and said that it was a well done documentary. Then we started talking about other things and she lightened up. It was fascinating hearing her talk about cults and hearing her talk when the cult topic was over with. This is the first time I'm noticing the difference in the cult personality verses her personality.

• Slayerbard
    Slayerbard

One of the BIG misconseptions every witnesses I EVER talked to or know. Including myself until I found out other wise is the whole "where not a cult cause we don't follow a MAN" idea. It's completly bogus. You look at the LIST of qualifications to be considered a "cult" and Following a MAN or one person is not one of them. the WT tells them this and gives them this idea to make them fell better about themselves. I would print out the list of ways to tell if your in a cult. and have it handy when you do talk to you mother to show her that it isn't even on there. Also as someone else said wait til you finish the book. Infact I want to pick it upmyself. cause I am nearing the talk to the family point myself. Not looking forward to it.

• moshe
    moshe

Well, Doublelife, all the WT publications portray the JW's as being the very nicest people, so it is painful for them to hear what everyone outside the KH really thinks of them. They never see the "kick-me" sign on their butt, either. I hope your mom is able to objectively talk about the parts of the movie that upset her. The more times she is able to talk about the cult aspects, the easier it should become for her to have a reasonable conversation. Good luck!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit