Is 'truth' a red herring?

by bulgogiboy 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bulgogiboy
    bulgogiboy

This is a question for all, but especially ex-jws who may have transferred their piety over to another religion, and come to believe in another faith:

Is 'truth' regarding the meaning of life something that can ever realistically be obtained by human beings? What is your idea of what 'truth' is? I'm not just specifically talking about the jw notion of 'the truth', but any way in which you frame the notion of 'truth'. Is 'truth' merely subjective? Or is it undeniably elusive? How can any jw who has broken free from the brainwashing of 'the truth' ever be so niave as to believe they have found 100% truth in another religion?

BB

• poppers
    poppers

How can any jw who has broken free from the brainwashing of 'the truth' ever be so niave as to believe they have found 100% truth in another religion?

Good question. Whatever it is, certainly it is not something subject to change.

So, what is "truth"? What never changes? Can you find that out without relying on second hand information? Minds want something to grasp and so they often grasp at ready made answers found in religious teachings. That removes the struggle to actually find it. Perhaps, however, "truth" is not found like some sort of commodity, but is beyond the grasp of thinking. What to do in that case? How about stopping all seeking via the mind, sit still, and notice what never changes? Where would you look, and more importantly, what would let you "know" you found it?

• garyneal
    garyneal
    How can any jw who has broken free from the brainwashing of 'the truth' ever be so niave as to believe they have found 100% truth in another religion?

Good question indeed. Christians, such as myself, accept the idea that the truth is not found in a religion but only in an individual, Christ. I've realized about a decade ago that no religion has a monopoly on the truth but I do believe that truth is objective. But then again, notice that I said, I BELIEVE truth is objective but I do take some comfort in knowing that many scholars share this point of view. Frankly, when I encountered the Jehovah's Witnesses belief that they alone have the TRUTH, I immediately saw the fallacy.

So what is truth? Well, if you discard that Bible's account of truth being in Jesus Christ, what are you left with? It would seem that there are some things that all religions and philosophies seem the share. Things like everything operates in a state of balance and what you sow you will also reap. We readily observe this in nature as natural forces seek to balance one another and we also see it in our lives. I'll add one more thing, what you believe you can and cannot do, you're right.

Anyway, belief in anything beyond the natural requires faith for obviously there is no way we can prove it naturally. I was in a fundamentalist church during the early years of my christian life and they, much like the WT, taught that they had the only true interpretations of the Bible. They would speak out against other religions and even against other denominations of christianity that did not quite agree with them. It left me with a bitter taste in my mouth in regards to christianity but I later learned that only that type of church was that dogmatic (not counting the WTS). Fortunately, I found a group of christians in college who truly showed what true christian love was all about. Things such as tolerance and compassion and the freedom of knowing that God loves us so much that He did everything for us and requires nothing more than our faith in His Son to receive the free gift of everlasting life. I was never a JW but there are former witnesses on this board who share this point of view.

There is also a Jew (Moshe) and a Muslim on this board, I'd be interested to see what they would have to say in regards to your inquiry.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Is 'truth' regarding the meaning of life something that can ever realistically be obtained by human beings?

Truth exists. However, the meaning of life is subjective by definition and does not fit nicely into your analysis.

• Judge Dread
    Judge Dread

What is truth?

Judge Dread

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

What is truth?

Judge Dread

Truth is not a lie.

or is it?

• jabberwock
    jabberwock

"What is truth"

It bothered me when Watchtower publications would criticize Pontius Pilate for being cynical and insincere in asking this question. I remember that even when I was very young I thought it was a good question. I was disappointed that they would always dismiss it rather than take it seriously and try to give an answer.

• dutchstef
    dutchstef

the truth is.....there is no truth.

Only some facts and a lot of assumptions

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hello BB and welcome!

Is 'truth' regarding the meaning of life something that can ever realistically be obtained by human beings?

Today is the Thursday, that is the truth. To say it is "Wednesday", or "Friday" is close but both are false.

What is one plus one? The truth is the answer is two not three, not one or anything else.

Same goes for the big questions, is there a Creator or are we just here by chance?

What is your idea of what 'truth' is? I'm not just specifically talking about the jw notion of 'the truth', but any way in which you frame the notion of 'truth'. Is 'truth' merely subjective?

For the "big" question I posed there is an absolute answer. Either God exists or not.

Of course, if you believe God exists then that brings more questions (as does also not believing in the Creator). You are going to want to find out the truth to those questions too.

Or is it undeniably elusive? How can any jw who has broken free from the brainwashing of 'the truth' ever be so niave as to believe they have found 100% truth in another religion?

If you have come here it is likely it is dawning that nothing the WT have to say is the truth. Back to my metaphor, I used to think they were saying it was "Wednesday" or "Friday", close but not the truth. However, now I have come to realise the difference is like day and night.

Jesus made many bold claims but try this one for example

John 14:6 (New International Version)

6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Either this is true or else Jesus was deluded, or an arrogant liar.

JWs are taught many things about Jesus, He is the created angel Michael, He is a god, He helped God out with the creation etc. None of that is true.

The truth is Jesus is the Creator, God and not a part of the creation John 1

First step is get a decent bible. The NWT is full of deception. Choose pretty much any other bible you like, plenty for free here http://www.biblegateway.com/

Secondly, get a new teacher, the Holy Spirit John 14

Blessings,

Stephen

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

First I found that Jehovah's Witnesses did not have the truth - by that I mean they lied to me.

Second I found out that the Bible is not true - by that I mean it contains myths, legends, and outright false statements. Making it a book of lies, no matter the version you select. If you define Holy as pure, godly, then it is not a Holy book at all. At least no more so than Alice in Wonderland, or Winnie the Pooh.

Therefore, if there is Holy Spirit, and if that Holy Spirit is pure and filled with truth [and that can't be proven one way or the other by a book of lies], then it/him would not reveal anything through that book of lies. And since the idea of Holy Spirit is one largely taken from the Book Of Lies, I would have to assume that the Holy Spirit is therefore also a Lie.

Every religion, every religious book, every religious leader, and every religious promoter, every promoter of 'Biblical truth' is failing and totally unable to prove his/her ideaology to be TRUTH.

Yet we keep seeking truth in places that it logically cannot be found. That's odd isn't it?

Of course what I stated may or may not be true. But it seems logical to me that TRUTH could not be associated in any way with FALSE.

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit