Was there one single thing that told you non-JWs were not that bad after all?

by dgp 20 Replies latest jw friends

• moshe
    moshe

-Moshe, I appreciate your comment to me as a cautious newcomer, and all your comments.

Thanks, Undertheradar

When I was contemplating leaving I was working with an ex-JW on a construction project. We didn't talk about the KH, but he was a person I had known through work for almost 20 years. We had a good working relationship and even though it had been almost 5 years since he quit, he wasn't the least bit "wounded". As far as I know his younger brother never left the JW's, but his other brother got out, too. I decided that I could be an OK person too, without the WT millstone around my neck.

It cracks me up how JW's try and put up some JW's lame experience in comparison to a real social leader. I, too am impressed with Nelson Mandela- I will be waiting for the movie that is coming out- how he used the goal of a worldcup soccer championship to bring people together in South Africa.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I became a witness the year I graduated from college - 1973. I think a couple of things fed my opinion of "the world." The biggest was having spent four years in college - sex, drugs, beer, protesting the war etc. I was an emotional wreck when I went in, and the whole 1975 thing fed my view of the state of the world.

In the spring of 1987 (after going back to school for a year) I went to work for with a really great bunch of people. It was a real estate investment/development company, three of the four owners were Jewish (and related to each other), the fourth was a family friend of theirs. These people were honest, tried to conduct their business ethically (and provided a lot of low income housing), and the corporate environment included a healthy dose of self reflection and spirituality. My wife and I were out by the summer of 1988, althought the DA letter wasn't mailed until March 1989. Meanwhile, my friends at work were watching and cheering as we made our exit.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Nelson Mandela Did you know his ex wife was a JW???

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Most people are basically good. Unless you're dealing with a 'hasidic JW', as I call the real fanatic ones, most JWs will be quite polite and civil with non-JWs.

There's quite a large number of us inside the Organization that realize non-JWs are just as good people as JWs can be; actually, it's a fact that many non-JWs are more decent that some real scumb bags that hide behind the JW Organization; but those people are the JW exception, not the rule.

Best of things to you all for the year 2010!!!

DY

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I was a 'walk-away believer'. (Conscientious decision to distance myself from the org while they sorted things out and got back on track with Jah. won't bother with details here but although I was 'inactive', I still believed. Just not some of the current doctrine and edicts at the time.)

After about 8 or 9 years of inactivity, I was diagnosed with cancer. My family had recently fragmented, I had very few friends (the JWs kept their distance from me because I was not spiritually strong and I kept distance from worldly people because they were, well, worldly.) During the weeks while waiting for confirmation of diagnosis and treatment planning I experienced sooooo many emotions and imagined a myriad of scenarios.

One of my three final treatment options included suicide. I hadn't particularly enjoyed the first 38 years of my life and didn't see any reason to go through the time, pain and expense of agressive cancer treatment. I didn't believe in hellfire so didn't fear eternal damnation for my decision to end my life although I did consider just managing the 'symptoms' and letting cancer take it course. Seriously considered assisted-suicide or other quick-ish method but did not share this thought with anyone at all.

There was one that I 'clicked' with and I was very honest in my presentation. I told him that non-treatment was an option I was seriously considering. Also, I would not consent to blood transfusion under any circumstance due to strict religious conviction even though I was not acknowledged by the JWs to be one of them, I apologetically explained my position to my doctor. He was amazingly supportive. Modified treatment to respect my conviction and assured me that the next 38 years would indeed be worth living. My initial consultation with him in his office lasted 3 hours.

About 6 weeks into treatment, my blood levels dropped dangeriously low. He re-confirmed that I would not take blood, he simply asked if my concern was with the quality and screening process of the blood. I said 'no', it is religious reasons. He countered with one simple question: Is there *anything* I can say or any modification that we can make to help you feel more comfortable and agree to accept it? I responded with: "No. It is my unwaivering decision." He simply said 'OK. We'll work around it.' And he did not shame, embarrass, or humiliate me for what I now consider a silly stand. At times when he would have ordered transfusion, he would explain modified treatment options by stating "Because we are not going to transfuse you, we need to ... {take this action} ..."

He demonstrated how to accept someone's different viewpoint and maintain full respect and support for the person even though completely disagreeing with their beliefs.

THAT man made a huge difference in my life and my outlook on life and people.

Also during my first few months of cancer treatment I was absolutely FLOORED with the love, respect and support that came from the most unexpected places. Employer immediately accomodated to whatever I wanted. CoWorkers offered work and personal assistance. Clients sent cards, called just to let me know they cared, many offered transport and any other assistance, two sent money (including $100 from one person), my hairdresser offered to see me as often as needed (suggested every 2 weeks) to assist with transition from full head of long auburn hair to baldness, strangers in line offered support, diners in restaurants offered encouragement. Neighbors cooked meals. Boyfriend with whom I had broken up was available for any and all household chore. My somewhat estranged JW sister was by my side at every single medical appointment following my diagnosis. LONG list of love and support - from the most unexpected places. All except my sister were non-JWs

I was equally HORRIFIED by the disregard by people who I had previously considered such good friends back when I was active. (My own immediately included.) JW friends (one was an elder) with whom I would vacation once or twice a year visited mutual 'friends' 5 miles from my house. They stayed for 2 weeks but waited until they got home (1000 miles away) to even call me. Neither of my parents would modify their schedule to help me get to doctor appointment (mom would have been 10 minutes late for bible study and, on separate occaision, father who was living with me in my house at the time would have been a little late for work. Only 2 cards from former JW friends, and two visits from others. All the horrifying responses to my situation came from JWs. I was still a believer at the time!

The people who I thought would be there for me, were no where to be seen. Yet I had such an amazing support group that I was able to completely redefine my circle of friends. And I came away with an amazing feeling of comfort knowing that there are some unbelievably kind people out in the world.

My cancer story and experiences are severely abbreviated in this post. The main point is that, in my experience, true love and humanity exists almostly entirely OUTSIDE of the WT organization.

-Aude.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

I suppose the best example would be that a childhood friend of mine exited, and I saw that he didn't transform into The Debbil.

• Oceanblue
    Oceanblue

As I mentioned in my first post on here last night, the fact that I can name six of my "wolrdly" friends off the top of my head, who have taken the time to check in on me since I was disfellowshiped last year, speaks volumes to me. They understand what I did was wrong, but they don't treat me like I have a disease. They saw that I was hurting, in pain, and all they cared about was me. They realized that I needed support and that the practice of disfellowshiping (i.e. shunning) me to the degree that the WTS does, was making me feel worse. All they wanted to do was help me. One girl even offered me to come live with her. I turned her down because I didn't want to be a burden. I even stopped talking to her so that I could prove to my parents that I was letting go of my "worldly" friends, but recently contacted her a few weeks ago, after I started reading so-called "apostate" material. She told me that she loves me and that she only wants the best for me. She will always consider me a friend. I can't name any of my former witness friend's who would tell me that without me being reinstated first.

Since I quit my job and can't find another one in this economy, I am working with this program through my state government. The first person I met was this man, who asked me why was such a pretty, smart young girl like me, doing there. I told him a little of my story, which caused me to break down in tears. He said what the Witnesses are doing to me is not right.

I also wondered about all the wonderful things "worldly" people were doing by setting up,volunteering and sending in money for different charities. How could Jehovah just destroy these wonderful people, just because they aren't Witnesses helping to make that billion hours a year quota?

Bottom line... only the "worldly" people I have come in contact with have ever proven how much they care about me, despite the crazy J-dub reasonings I gave them for what was, for them, a strange way of thinking and acting about certain situations.

• Casper
    Casper
    I wasn't born in, so I knew "worldly" people weren't bad.

Same here.

I really didn't have any Bible knowledge prior to learning the witness way of life and trusted way too much.

What I did notice in the door to door work, when talking to ones of other faiths, was that they seemed sincerely happy and satisfied with their beliefs. They also seemed warmer and more friendly, these were the people who were out helping the poor and needy, doing things for others was a way of life for them.

Surely, people like that were not worthy of death over a mag. rejection.

Usually, I would walk away from such ones feeling like something was wrong with me and my chosen faith, "Why didn't I feel as confident and satisfied as they seemed to be" ? Why wasn't my "Faith" out helping others, instead of trying to convert them ?

Cas

• dgp
    dgp

I have the feeling, then, that leaving a clean life and being kind is perhaps the single most important thing one can do for a JW. It must be real clean living and real kindness. But it reaches you, and is the most important way to refute the WTBTS.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Most of my family are non-JW. My grandfather, a non-JW, looked after my grandmother, who had dementia for years. She was the only woman he had ever kissed. He loved her with all his heart.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit