Was there one single thing that told you non-JWs were not that bad after all?

by dgp 20 Replies latest jw friends

• dgp
    dgp

When you people were witnesses, was there one thing (or many) that really told you non-JW's were not that bad people after all? Was there anything other people did to you that got you thinking or, better yet, feeling that you hadn't been told the truth about us?

Thank you for your answers.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I wasn't born in, so I knew "worldly" people weren't bad. But when in the cult mindset, I had a tremendous fear of stumbling non-jws, as if they were stupid enough to think jws were perfect. That's the reason I took all my beatings in silence...all the years of punches, kicks and strangleholds, there was never a sound from me. It was my husband who was doing all of the screaming and yelling. What helped me to overcome the fear of stumbling them and to learn that "worldly" people weren't stupid enough to think jws were perfect was that my non-jw neighbors and co-workers were able to recognize just how crazy my husband was. I don't know how else to explain it. When you're a jw and you hear of other jws who have mental issues that they ignore and/or allow themselves to become a hazzard to someone else, you just accept it as part of their personality. "Worldly" people are smart enough to know that's not true.

• nugget
    nugget

I have been lucky in many of the people I have met and non JW relatives. My Gran was very special she never said anything horrid about anyone and had a young spirit. To my mind if God hadn't got the common sense to see her good qualitieshe was seriously lacking in judgement. I later discovered that he planned to let her die before the big A so she would be guaranteed a resurrection. However it did bother me.

• blondie
    blondie

I was born in but I still didn't think all non-jws were bad. We had non-jw family members who helped us by giving us a place to live, food, transportation. Neighbors who helped us work on our car, put on a new roof; classmates who share their lunch with me when things were tight at home; a teacher who gave me clothes from her daughter (a little older than I). Not once did any jws do anything like this. They did complain that we were missing service/meetings because we had no car and supposedly lived too far for anyone to come get us (we did give gas money).

• DubR
    DubR

Very interesting topic dgp. I was raised in the "truth" and for all my life I thought non-jws were worldly untrustworthy people with no morals (and needing a good preaching to) until I met my wife (girlfriend) back in 07. She was/is extremely beautiful, didn't care about the nice car and job I had; was just soo loving and layed back as well as her family. I compared her to all of the jw sisters who were trying to date/marry me lol mostly because they heard through the circuit of my material value! Oh yea, all the jw sisters just wanted to be full-time pioneers and sit on their butt while I took care of em. I started realizing maybe these non-jws arent soo bad

• moshe
    moshe

I always wondered why so many worldly people were honored for their works/charity to humanity, but I could find no JW that rated any honors by society. Like, could Mother Teresa really be an evil person in God's eyes?

• undertheradar
    undertheradar

Nelson Mandela carrying no hate or revenge. Then mentioning this and the time he spent in prison to an elder, who promptly started talking about Bro. King in prison and refusing to discuss Mandela.

And feeling the same as you Moshe about Mother Teresa, and again the ridiculous comments of some JW's to her work.

Moshe, I appreciate your comment to me as a cautious newcomer, and all your comments.

• RR
    RR

yeah ... when I became a "non JW" ... LOL

• Sour Grapes
    Sour Grapes

I was impressed by my wordly friends that had happier

families than what I had and did a lot to help the homeless

and hungry. I actually thought at one time in my life that

giving a hungry person a set of magazines was better than

giving him food because I was offering everlasting life.

Man oh man was I a true blue JW sicko.

Sour Grapes

• judi8751
    judi8751

When I became homeless ( 4th time ) because my JW Husband didnt pay the mortgage for 8 Months ( didnt know), and worldly work mates helped me pack & move, stored some of my belongings, bought me 3 piece suite, came to visit me etc, management at work gave me time off, wrote references for my new home, yes really bad people according to the WTBTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit