Medical treatments you (or others) put off for the "Noo Sistum"

by darthfader 16 Replies latest jw friends

• darthfader
    darthfader

On another thread I stated that I didnt get braces for my teeth as a child as my parents believed that the NS would be here soon. I am very glad that I did it as an adult.

Darth Fader (smiling happier)

• zoiks
    zoiks

...I still haven't had braces. But the kids will! And maybe I will too, some day. If there's any money left...

• I quit!
    I quit!

A lot of Witnesses teeth have rotted and fallen out while waiting for the Watchtower's promised New System to arrive.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

I got braces as an adult and the CO wife said "so that means you can have straight teeth during the Great tribulation" in a sarcastic tone... note that was 8 years ago and doing so helped my self esteem greatly!!!

• I quit!
    I quit!

I knew one elder who's wife pretty except for a large and not the best shaped nose. She decided to get it fixed. This was around 1973. A lot of the dubs make comments about how vain she was and the big A was just around the corner so she should have waited. Idiots!!

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

In Portland oregon in the early 70's there was a young sister in our hall, she was in her 20's, married, with one or two small children.

She had dark hair and full lips, she was pretty and very friendly.

She also had a very pronounced hump in her back, her spine was a twisted mess.

I remember her saying that her doctor had told her that therapy and wearing a brace would help strainten out her back and help relieve her of her chronic pain, but the process would take 2-3 years and the new system would be here way before then so she was not going to waste her time and money.

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

Maybe times have changed, but in the past, particularly pre 1975, it was often considered a sign of spiritual weakness to get braces for your kids.

In the US at least, braces are expensive (usually thousands of dollars) and an out of pocket expense, insurance does not cover it. They also usually require months or years for the process to complete.

So no true believer is going to fork out thousands, for something that Jah will take care of in an instant. And no doubt will take care of long before it's time for the braces to come off.

Just another way the Society has devalued and marginalized the lives of it's most faithful adherents.

• dgp
    dgp

I assume this is why some witnesses I've met are in bad need of dental care.

• dig692
    dig692

I guess the times have changed because I know many sisters that have undergone "improvements" to a certain area of their body. Or maybe its because Jehovah will give their kids new teeth, but maybe he won't give them bigger ta-tas?

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

I guess the times have changed because I know many sisters that have undergone "improvements" to a certain area of their body

With those improvements you get instant results, plently of time to enjoy even if the big A is only weeks away!

Plus you can pay for them over time, so you get all the bennies now, but won't ever have to pay for it!

Way to make the best of what little time we have left!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit