Why did my parents let me watch the Peanuts holiday specials?

by JimmyPage 12 Replies latest jw friends

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

I wasn't allowed to watch "Rudolph" or anything to do with Santa Claus. But for some reason, we always watched the Peanuts holiday specials. Strange when I look back.

Sometimes I wonder if Mom wasn't totally on board with the whole JW thing, especially at the beginning. It always seemed to be more of Dad's thing. But they are both diehard dubs now.

Anybody else experience some inconsistencies like this?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

A JW Kids life,is one long inconsistancy..

Is Bullshit supposed to make sense?..

Just be happy your not an Axe Murderer..

Or..A Jehovah`s Witness..

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

We got to watch all the Christmas cartoon specials. Maybe cuz there was nothing better on. I'm glad my parents were so spiritually weak.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Charlie Brown anything yes, Frosty the snowman, maybe...depending on the quiet needed for a mom with 3 kids.

That is a good question, ...we were able to watch the great pumpkin charlie brown, etc. etc. But maybe, because it was negative. That great pumpkin never arrived, the Christmas tree was a joke, .....did it underscore their message?

We could watch limited Flintstones, which now reminds me of the behavior of my father and friends.

We could watch little else. On Sunday evenings the Disney hour, and some animal special before that. That was it, after a laborious almost 4 hour Sunday afternoon between getting ready, the 2 plus hour meeting and then getting home. It always felt like total relief....the big one done until next Thursday...you know the service meeting.

Why did any of them torture themselves with all of it, why do they do it now?

Do kids get to watch any more than we did? I still adore Charlie Brown's Christmas music.

r.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    and some animal special before that

Mutual of Omaha's "Wild Kingdom".

-Aude.

• horrible life
    horrible life

We always watched Rudolph, Charlie, and Frosty. I never thought anything about it until now.

That may be the reason we were able to watch it. It wasn't a big deal to us, as kids. Don't know why parents didn't object. But, dad worked nights, and mom didn't pay much attention. She was always on the phone.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Aude, LOL....

Mutual of Ohmahs wild kingdom...that was it!

r.

• darthfader
    darthfader

I love peanuts! The Xmas special and the Great Pumpkin! Woo hoo!

As a kid I never got to see the Peanuts special, as my parents never let me watch it. In fact I missed a lot of cartoons when I was young. I can remember only a few times I got to watch Saturday morning cartoons -- Saturday was always feild service and kingdom hall cleaning for us.

Darth Fader

• yknot
    yknot

I only recently (in the last few weeks) learned that Charlie Brown wasn't exclusive to 'Great Pumpkin'......after 35 years of life!!!!!!!!

Does Peanuts have other specials besides Halloween and Xmas?

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

I seem to recall Thanksgiving and Valentine specials as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit