Fun with numbers (or the Watchtower running out of steam) Statistics

by Aussie Oz 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Having a look through the march WT pdf and noticed the graph showing the growth of JWs and did a little basic math. Now math was not my strongest subject at school so i can stand some correcting on this if need be... but anyway, a little fun with numbers:

1950; 373'000

1970; 1'483'000 is a growth of about 390% (av 19.5% per year)

1990; 4'017'000 is a growth of about 270% (av 13.5% per year)

2009 7'313'000 is a growth of about 82% (av 4.1% per year)

Following that trend, the next 20 years to say 2030, the growth rate could very well be zero or even negative. By 2030 they could still be at not much than 7.5 million. The next 20 years would be marked by massive downsizing as people leave or die off. Even if they do grow at a smaller percentage the leaving may still outstrip the growth.

lucky they did not continue at 390%! by now there would be 23 million. 95 million by 2030 and 381million by 2050. 1.5 Billion by 2070

Disclaimer: Not entirely accurate i am sure for a number of reasons. The numbers are rounded off to make it easier for my brain!

cheers

Oz

• StoneWall
    StoneWall

Wow Oz

I'm too tired at the moment to double check your facts and figures but it looks feasible from what I see.

The most telling tale about that is the percentages are way down.

Even tho the total number of pubs is up thats a big drop from what it should be going on the law of averages

and percentages.

Thanks for sharing that,

StoneWall

• God_Delusion
    God_Delusion

Cheers for that Oz.

I personally don't believe the figures the WBTS report. I don't believe that for one second, there are over 7 million dubs.

Regards
    RAB

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I also do not believe their latest numbers. I think they peaked at 7 million or below and manipulated the numbers over the last two years to count children and elderly people who are really inactive. If you want to count believers, the elderly are allowable, but WTS counts "active" publishers. Certainly, there are some inactive ones in their count. Also, there are many unbelieving or unknowing children in their count.

Plus, they are reporting "peaks" often which means double or even triple (or more) counting some who turn in slips in August for the service year.

• Slayerbard
    Slayerbard

I wonder if they still count those who have "fallen way" not disfellowshiped but just stopped coming to meetings. I know some who only show up for the memorial. I wonder if there still counted. Then there is the high publisher count. cause everyone has there KIDS adn bible studies turning in time..and how many of those kids or studies get baptized. I think the WT does pad the numbers.

• joelingeorgia
    joelingeorgia

1. percentages of growth always go down as the numbers go up. This is true of any numeric progression.

2. the fact that they are reporting peaks seems a bit desperate to keep the number growing.

3. a much smaller percentage of non witnesses have any clue what witnesses believe now that did 50 years ago.

4. what about the GB member who said the preaching work was done?

• wobble
    wobble

This business of "Peak" publishers , who are these guys going to the top of a mountain ?

I do not understand how they count, I am pretty sure that if I put three months worth of reports in in say, August, in my old Congo, I would NOT be counted as three publishers, that is dickyrudleass !

Are you saying that some Congos do that ? Count one guy as three ?

If so their figures mean jack-s**t.

Love

Wobble

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

I doubt very much the figures are deliberately manipulated per se and it seems to smack of desperation for apostates to claim so.

To be counted on the worldwide report you must still be an 'active' publisher, ie, you must have turned in a report for the last 6 months running come the end of the service year. That is still the definition as I understand it and I doubt very much they are flexible with this. At the worst they may count a couple of old publishers who can no longer report any time because of advanced age, senility, etc but who are otherwise faithful.

Instead, what the Watchtower has of course been doing is making it easier and easier to be a 'publisher'. They have in recent years lowered the minimum reporting requirement (now 15 mins for some) and, in what was an absolutely masterful stroke to keep the stats looking good, this year began allowing parents to count time studying with their children. This allows some former 'inactive' parents who never went door-to-door to now put a report in and be counted as 'active' again simply by 'studying' with their children (eg, reading the "My Book of Bible Stories" book to their 6 year old) for at least one hour a month. The latter is what will explain the unexpectedly good publisher increase that will probably be reported this year. This clever little tweak will keep the annual report looking ok for the next few years.

Despite these artificial manipulations to keep the statistics looking decent, there is little doubt that the actual quality of the report and the quality of the published time is reducing dramatically in real terms, at least in terms of bringing new persons into the organisation from the world (although some would argue that spending more time 'studying' with one's children is better quality time than knocking on empty doors in the weekend - they are probably right on that). If the same criteria for reporting time that existed 10 years ago was still applied today the worldwide publisher report would probably be in the negative by now or close to it.

They will of course keep diluting what it means to be a 'publisher' as the years go by and do whatever it takes to keep the annual worldwide report looking respectable short of outright lying. Keeping the organisation looking bright and shiny on the outside is proof that it still has "Jehovah's blessing", and it keeps the donations coming in.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

yadda yadda, i think you are spot on. I do think that the next few years will see them down to a point where they can't fudge it. The 'increase' figures will mostly be from born ins reaching publisher status/ baptism. National birth rates for many countries is very low, with Islam having the highest of all. Islam is reported as the fastest growing due to its phenomenal birth rate.

It goes to show how bogus the claims of being the fastest growing religion in the world is.

Oz

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

1918 saw 3800

1928 saw 23900 a growth of 900%! (the war musta freaked a lot out!)

1938 saw 47100 a growth of 'only' 95%

1948 saw 230500 a growth of 500%

oz

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit