Working for a JW, what a horrible experience...

by HappyGuy 24 Replies latest jw friends

• HappyGuy
    HappyGuy

One of the things that made me start doubting the WTBTS and JWs was the way JWs treat their JW employees.

I worked for JWs several times. The experience was always the same.

1. Pay was less than the going market rate for the same work at "worldly" companies.

2. There were no benefits of any kind, no paid holidays, no sick time, no overtime, no insurance.

3. Whenever possible the JW forced the JW employees to pay their own company related expenses like gas, pager, company uniform, etc.

4. Any attempt to discuss the poor working conditions was always responded to with "But you get to make all the meetings and you get to go to the assemblies and you get to work for BROTHERS." And, if you said "I would go to meetings regardless of who I worked for" and pushed back on that answer then they started in on your "loyalty" and you were unspritual if you questioned a "Brother" and were not "loyal" to your employer.

5. Any attempt to find another job was met with harassment, being told you could not give the JW employer as a reference, being threatened with lawsuits, etc.

6. The JW employers themselves were lazy and would not do the things they expected of their JW employees.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

After working for JWs for several years, one day I made up my mind that I would NEVER work for a JW again.

I firmly believe that one of the reasons that the WTBTS encourages young people not to get a proper education is to provide a steady stream of hard working, clean cut, honest young people as low cost labor for JW owned businesses.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Agreed.

• moshe
    moshe

I would love to work for a JW owned business, but I don't think my job would last more than a few days. I like to talk.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Totally agree Happyguy, I've been involved with JW owned companies a few times, one being my own father's

and what you say is exactly true to the tee, it seems they know well how to exploit and take advantage of people.

There seems to be a preponderance of I am the distinguished master, and all you people below me are the distinguished slaves.

There is an intensional covering over themselves as being glossy white and righteously pure in comparison to other employers,

which goes well with the pretentious character that most JWS carry with themselves. Its all about money to them.

And of course when you do point to them their apathetic dealing with others they say something like

" Well this is Satan's system of things, I alone cant change the system "

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Me personally, I would NEVER work for a JW. If I can help it, I would NEVER work with a JW or in a department of a company with one. If offered a job, and the company has a JW I personally know, I'd probably would not take the job unless my financial situation necessitated such. It has the potential to create awkward situations. Plus I like my space. People today have been saying, "Merry Christmas." I said the same thing back to them, and when my conscious got the best of me I said, "Happy Holidays." With another JW on the premises, it would have been an issue. I can picture it now, some Bipolar, 3 hour a month, overweight sister going through menopause giving me the look because I said, "enjoy your holiday!"

I think I saw a statement on this forum sometime ago, maybe another forum, where someone said, "having friends in the Truth, is like having friends at work." It's true. You see these people a few times throughout the week competing with one another over proving their spirituality. To have to share a 40-60 hour work week with them too, that would be too much. I'd rather die. To work FOR one of them, where they have a measure of authority over you........nope, I'll pass. On another similar vein, I would never want to live in the same neighborhood as a JW too. It's essentially the same awkward situations.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

I might not mind working for JWs...

Employees have more legal rights here - so they wouldn't get away with half the things on your list!

• nugget
    nugget

I've worked for only one witness it was the worst experience of my life. My husband has worked for witnesses and has had a good experience. Just because someone is a witness it doesn't make them a good business person.

On the other hand I have employed witnesses and experienced being charged over the market rate for substandard work. Others provided true value for money. The only difference is you feel constrained if there are problems. When I have been unhappy I have usually paid someone else to finish the job properly.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

My current manager is a JW, but I'm not sure if he knows my background. But he's a nice enough guy that if he did know, he wouldn't make it an issue. He knows that I'm a valuable worker. I work solely on commission, and the more I make, the more he makes. It wouldn't make sense for him to rock the boat.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

My current manager is a JW, but I'm not sure if he knows my background. But he's a nice enough guy that if he did know, he wouldn't make it an issue. He knows that I'm a valuable worker. I work solely on commission, and the more I make, the more he makes. It wouldn't make sense for him to rock the boat.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit