I know Christmas is "wrong", but for god's sakes, what's so "wrong" about New Near's day?

by african GB Member 22 Replies latest jw experiences

• african GB Member
    african GB Member

This time of the year is the most stressful for JW's(especially progressive JWs) as they have to explain to non-JWs why they don't celebrate Christmas and New year's Days.

I can understand the religious implications of Christmas Day, but what about New Years? What is so wrong about looking forward to new beginings? Was new year celebration also started by "christendom/ Babylon the Great"?

• KingArthur
    KingArthur

http://www.4witness.org/jwquestions/qjw-christmas.php

This is an interestin discussion about celebrating various holdidays.

Many good point to consider.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

The fact is you are already starting with a FAFSE premise:

Christmas is wrong.

Who says? the WT? the GB?

And who are they to go against the Apostle Paul and his divine message from Jesus in Romans ?

• sir82
    sir82

Just like anything else that "worldly" people do that JW leadership wants its followers to avoid, it is considered to have "pagan origins".

Of course, if you dig deep enough you'll find "pagan origins" for anything you can imagine.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Football.

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey

sir82,

Yes, that's correct. In fact, the common wedding ring has it's roots in Pagan origin's, so does the wedding vail and common door knocker. So where and who gets to decide where the cutoff point is?

Sam

• cantleave
    cantleave

From the fooball network.org

The Origins of football can be found in every corner of the Globe. Civilizations throughout history all played ball games and many of these can be considered forerunners to the modern game, which was established in England in the late nineteenth century.

Ball games were first played in Egypt as early as 1800 BCE. However there are claims that suggest ball games were played even earlier in Ancient China, maybe as early as 2500 BCE. There is evidence to show that ball games in Egypt were linked to fertility rites and religious ceremonies. These ball games involved large numbers of people and records indicate that these games were sometimes used as an exercise to till the soil.

In addition to the Egyptians; the Greeks, Romans and Chinese (as well as others) all played football games, which are considered to be the forerunners of modern football.

Egyptians were Gods enemies, the first world power in Daniels prophecy.

• Out at Last!
    Out at Last!

What is so wrong with Christmas/ New Year? I don't have a problem with either. I am at a place in my life that I do what I want, not what some old men who run a publishing company in New York tell me to do; I hope you can get to that place also.

Best of holiday wishes,

OAL!

• Farkel
    Farkel

:I know Christmas is "wrong", but for god's sakes, what's so "wrong" about New Near's day?

The Watchtower Printing Corporation doesn't want its members to spend too much time dwelling on the fact that yet another year has passed and their predictions of Armageddon have passed with it.

Farkel

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Yes but it is "The World" and what The World does, they do not do, because they are no part of The World !

Anyway, people get drunk, they have customs like singing "Auld Lang Syne" [sp?] and in Scotland they have people bringing lumps of coal to the house, so I am told...

It all sounds pagan to me???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit