Satan - such a bad guy?

by bulgogiboy 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

For what its worth, I reckon that the whole satan god thing is just an illustration of the eternel inner turmoil within ourselves.

There's a bit of god and satan in each of these characters. Satan offers freedom (that only god has) and god can be a diabolical murderer. If this were so, then all the bible myths would be situations for us to learn a moral code. What would you do in each situation?

• Scully
    Scully

The first Biblical account regarding Satan in Genesis shows him offering humans something that Yahweh chose to withhold from them: the knowledge of good and bad. It also has Yahweh telling Adam and Eve that if they ate from the tree of the knowledge of good and bad that they would die that same day.

According to the account, Satan reassured Eve that "you will positively not die, for God knows that in the very day of your eating from it your eyes are bound to be opened and you are bound to be like God, knowing good and bad." (Genesis 3:1-5)

My questions are:

• Why would a benevolent God not want his most supreme creation, one made in his own image, to NOT know the difference between good and bad? Isn't that one of the basic jobs of being a parent (which God supposedly is to mankind) - teaching one's children right from wrong?
    • If Adam and Eve did not know good and bad, and God did, how could they truly have been made in God's image?
    • If God told Adam that he would die "in the very day" of eating from the tree, and Adam and Eve did NOT die "in the very day", like Satan told Eve, who exactly was the liar?

Personally, I don't think Satan should be painted as the bad guy. He gets people to question authority and stand up to injustice. God is just a bully. I think it's all allegory and metaphor rather than actual entities duking it out in the spirit realm, but Satan really does get a bad rap.

I have a similar take on Judas Iscariot.

• gubberningbody
  • PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Ain't no such thing IMO. But Pacino plays a good Devil.
    Jeff

Oh yeah, one of the best ones for sure.

I remember Vigo playing Satan in Prophecy, I though Walken would have been a good Satan too.

Gabriel Byrne in End of Days was cool too, though the writing kind of sucked.

Kevin Spacey woule make a freaking Satan.

DeNiro in Angel Heart wasn't bad either.

• processor

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit