Satan - such a bad guy?

by bulgogiboy 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bulgogiboy
    bulgogiboy

I am 95% sure that Satan doesnt even exist (same for Jehovah), but in theoretical terms at least, do you think Satan was such a bad guy to question Jehovah's totalitarian regime? Isnt there a little 'Satan' in all of us ex-jws? He employs critical thinking, questions the status quo, and goes against what has been deemed 'righteous'. I think we need to re-think our ideas about Satan.

Another proposition: If Satan were all-powerful, instead of Jehovah, would he make a better 'God'? ( I am NOT a Satanist, I have no religion, just throwing it out there).

• sir82
    sir82

More questions, related to the whole "universal sovreignty" issue:

According to JWs, Jehovah gives Satan 6000 years to try to prove that "his way" is better than "Jehovah's way".

But isn't it horrifically unfair? Jehovah is almighty & omniscient, there is no problem he can't solve immediately with the snap of his cosmic fingers.

Satan has none of those advantages. Of course his way is going to be worse - he doesn't have the tools to do the job, the way that Jehovah does.

So maybe Satan's way would be better - but we'll never know, because Jehovah has rigged the game from the beginning so that Satan could never possibly win.

Not that I believe any of this stuff anyway, just that your post triggered that thought.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

like those impossible puzzles.

gotta love jehovah

he would really be a good contender against my little child in a wii game.

tantrum guaranteed

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

The world would be awfully crowded if it wasn't for Satan. Jehovah would have nobody to kill.

• glenster
    glenster

The way I'd explain how Satan is meant as bad in a secular way is this way,
    besides that he tries to turn people from God in a book that gives God as the
    life-supplier with the prerogative, etc.: it's like the book of Job if you take
    God out of it. Job's stance was that for all the bad in the world, he was glad
    for his chance to live and the love he found with people in life, and the devil
    wouldn't even want him to have that--just want material gain for yourself because
    there's nothing else worth living for.

Some funny Satan things, though:
    http://www.twainquotes.com/Satan.html

(Regarding the last quote about financial advice, it helps to know that he
    lost a fortune trying to make money with investments.)

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Was Satan a "bad guy" ?

Well, he was jealous that God gave humans attention, to a point where he confronted God and said that we are not worthy.

He was dumb enough to bet God that he could turn Job, not a smart move when dealing with someone that is all knowing.

And when he didn't get what he wanted he decided to turn man against God since he couldn't turn God against man.

Yep, nice guy, I bet he is a barrel of laughs at barmitsvahs.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

it's all heresay from a book (called the bible) no physical proof that dadebil is behind any wrong

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Ain't no such thing IMO. But Pacino plays a good Devil.

Jeff

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

i loved that movie

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Every time I read anything about Satan in the bible, I always conclude he's the good guy and the god of the bible is some sort of cruel dictator trying to oppress, control and use the humans.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit