John 14:2 - what does it mean

by quietlyleaving 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

translated from the Aramaic:

1. "Do not lose heart,* believe in God, and in me believe.
    2. "My Father's abodes are great [enough.] And if not, I will make them
    so,* whence I go to provide you a country.
    3. "And if I go to provide you a country, I will come back again to settle
    you with me, that where I come, [then*] you too can be.
    4. "And where I go to, you know [where that is,] and the way, you know
    that [too.]"
    5. Thomas said to him, "[Our] Lord, we do not know where you are
    going and how can we know where is the way?"

14:1 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "May your heart not flutter."
    14:2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "I will say [and] you shall have it."
    14:3 Lit. Ar. id.: "And."

http://www.v-a.com/bible/john_8-14.html#JOHN#14

• snowbird
    snowbird

αφησω verb - future active indicative - first person singular
    aphiemi af-ee'-ay-mee: an intensive form of eimi, to go); to send forth, in various applications (as follow) -- cry, forgive, forsake, lay aside, leave, let (alone, be, go, have), omit, put (send) away, remit, suffer, yield up.

Fascinating stuff, eh?

Aphiemi denotes a forlorn departure.

Ego eimi - I AM going away, but I AM also returning.

Sylvia

• Farkel
    Farkel

:Any ideas on what Jesus could possible mean?

God runs a boarding house in heaven.

Farkel

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

:Any ideas on what Jesus could possible mean?

God runs a boarding house in heaven.

Farkel

thank you farkel, for adding a philosophical perspective

• snowbird
    snowbird

I also think it means there is a place for everybody in the New Jerusalem.

My hope is to be there; a bosom position would be fine, but a foot position would be just as satisfying.

It would be enough just to look upon His Face!

Sylvia

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Universal reconciliation...?

• snowbird
    snowbird

If not universal, global.

2 Corinthians 5:19 God put the world square with himself through the Messiah, giving the world a fresh start by offering forgiveness of sins. God has given us the task of telling everyone what he is doing. MSG

Sylvia

• Inkie
    Inkie

2In My Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Dear brothers and sisters in Christ: My father’s house (Temple) is not a house in which “we” inhabit per se; rather, it is a house which He and Christ inhabit. We, each of us as individuals, are the mansions (or the abodes or the rooms) which Jah and Christ will inhabit. We, each of us as individuals, are the rooms in which Jah and Christ inhabit or make their abode. We, each of us as individuals, are the “living stones” that make up the building with all its various rooms that Jah and Christ will inhabit. Our Lord, has gone to makea place for usto fit into the structure—the Temple—that Jah and Christ will inhabit. The Father’s house is a spiritual building not a physical one.

The apostles are the twelve foundation stones of Jah’s Temple (Ephesians 2:20; Revelation 21:14; 21:19), Christ himself is the foundation cornerstone of that Temple (Ephesians 2:20; 1 Peter 2:6-7), some are pillars and/or pearls in that Temple (Galatians 2:9; Revelation 3:12), and we will be “livings stones” in the Temple (1 Peter 2:5).

23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.—John 14:23.

23 Jesus answered, and said to him, If any man loveth me, he shall keep my word [he shall keep my words]; and my Father shall love him, and we shall come to him, and we shall dwell with him [and we shall make a dwelling at him].—John 14:23 Wycliffe New Testament.

10 for he (Abraham) was looking for the city which has foundations, whose architect and builder is God.—Hebrews 11:10.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Dear brothers and sisters in Christ: My father’s house (Temple) is not a house in which “we” inhabit per se ; rather, it is a house which He and Christ inhabit.

Dude, that might be the case now but come Revelation 21 it will be literal.

Revelation 21:2-3 (New International Version)

2 I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God.

Blessings,

Stephen

• Inkie
    Inkie

Stephen: But of course it is literal--it's very real. And we will be part of it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit