It's 2010 - 96 Years since 1914 - Once Again WT Society's Failed Predictions

by flipper 38 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

Ray Franz saw it. Most of us here see it. But the normal rank and file Jehovah's Witness doesn't have a clue as to HOW MANY times the predictions of dates allegedly marking the " end of the world " have come and gone without realization or fulfillment. Here is a short summation from Ray Franz's book " Crisis of Conscience " for those who were not aware.

On pg. 142 of " Crisis of Conscience " it states that even as far back as 1796 ( as well as centuries before ) people in religions were expecting the " end " or " fall of the antichrist ". " George Bell predicted such a " fall " of the antichrist ( according to his view, the Pope ) " Him and others thought the beginning of the " last days " would come in 1799. It came and went, nothing. Then a man in England arose by the name of John Aquila Brown . He thought the 2,300 days in Daniel would end in 1844 . " This understanding was also adopted by the American pioneer of the second adventist movement , William Miller. "

Then Charles Russell researched further and stated in his publications in 1878 that the end of the nations rule would come in 1914. End of the Gentile times. Russell even stated adamantly in his Watchtower magazine Jan. 15th 1892 that " The date of the close of that " battle "Armageddon is DEFINITELY marked in scripture as October, 1914. " But surprise, surprise ! The nations kept ruling , Russell died in 1916 and many of the then Bible students were left bewildered wondering WHAT'S NEXT ? Enter J.F. Rutherford to the rescue ! Apparently Rutherford had led many in the Bethel family and others to believe that 1925 ( according to Fred Franz ) was forecast to be the time for the start of the millennium or thousand year reign of Christ. But even after it came and went with nothing happening Fred Franz admitted Judge Rutherford stated , " I know I made an ass of myself. " ( Pg. 137 " Crisis of Conscience " )

So then predictions were made about 1975 being the end of 6,000 years since man's creation. Fred Franz and others made very blatant comments indicating THIS would very well be THE YEAR ! But again, it came and went, nothing. Now it's been 96 years since 1914, still nothing. And in the latest February 15th Watchtower the WT society is DENYING they ever had a talk saying " Millions Now Living WILL Never Die " . They claim the talk was " Millions Now Living MAY never die . "

I agree with Ray Franz's view of the heavy load of responsibility the WT society holds when he stated in his book on pg. 138, " The organization, however, treats these mistakes as mere evidence of human imperfection and also as evidence of great desire and enthusiasm to see God's promises. I believe that the " record " shows there is more to it than that. It is one thing for a man to make an " ass " out of himself because of wanting to see something happen. It is quite another thing for him to urge others to share his views, to criticize them if they do not, even to question their faith or impugn their motives if they do not see the matter as he sees it. " Franz continues, " It is still more serious for an organization representing itself as God's appointed spokesman to all mankind to do this - and to do it, not for a few days or months , but for years, even decades, repeatedly, on an earthwide basis. The responsibility for the results can surely not be shrugged off with simply saying, " Well, nobody's perfect. "

So over 130 years have passed since this marketing scheme of C.T. Russell, J.F. Rutherford, Nathan Knorr, Fred Franz , etc, etc etc. ( need I go on ? ) has been keeping the proverbial carrot in front of rank and file Jehovah's Witnesses keeping them in fear of something that NEVER happens. It is how ALL mind control cults control people - through guilt and fear. So if you are newly exiting Jehovah's Witnesses - do yourself a favor- educate yourself about the history of failed expectations in the WT society and Jehovah's Witnesses and you will be happy you are no longer being deceived anymore. You'll confirm it for yourself ! Best way to do it. As always I welcome all your thoughts and observations. Peace out to all, Mr. Flipper

• minimus
    minimus

Once I let the history sink in---I knew it quite well, but I excused it as "Old light" or simply not having the proper understanding. You can't simply blow off the facts. The consistent history of false prophecies cannot be denied.

• flipper
    flipper

MINIMUS- Exactly. It's amazing to me how the current WT GB and leaders are trying to " blow off " their history - like it never occured ! They discourage any witnesses from researching " older " publications from Russell's days or Rutherford's writings because they don't want the skeleton's to fall out of the closet on newbie witnesses ! LOL! So they make the excuse to witnesses that " Oh, that's old light- you don't NEED to read that stuff . Keep up with current truths ! " Yeah, right. Current lies. Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• geevee
    geevee

HI, just out of interest, I read that in 1799 Napoleon kidnapped the Pope!..... something did happen in 1799, the start of the last days. Even the early WT fathers believed that was the year. How wrong they were/are....

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

1914 won't be as easy to dismiss. I can only speak for myself, but for ALL the time I was in as a borgbot, 1914 bothered me. I accepted it without all the evidence presented, as many have done. But the further we got away from the date, the more I worried.

It has got to a point where the dates are not being taken seriously by most people in the West who are JW's, I think anyway. How can you?

In other words, do I think for a second that most JW's are because they are impressed with 1914 as a date that somehow fulfills prophecy? I don't think so.

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

Yes, the real history of the JW religion is an eye-oopener to say the least!

It's amazing that many JWs know about the real history but for some strange reason they remain trapped in the religion (cult), unable to convince their own mind that they are caught in a lie.

I find mind control fascinating, but terribly sad at the same time.

May we all rejoice in our freedom, and our new found ability to truly love our fellow man.

Peace to all!

The Oracle

• flipper
    flipper

GEEVEE- Maybe the Pope thought it was HIS last days , but it didn't turn out to be THE last days. LOL!

ALL TIME JEFF- Even when I was a witness 1914 was a date I couldn't easily dismiss either. But having been raised a witness from birth ( 1959) was always told a generation lasted 70 maybe 80 years . So when Armageddon didn't happen by 1984 or especially 1994 - that's when I started wondering " O.K. What's going on here ? ". Then once we got past the year 2000 and on I KNEW that it was a pack of lies.

ORACLE- Yes indeed, the history of the WT society is certainly unsavory at best. And due to the incredibly strong mind control tactics the WT society somehow convinces the rank and file members that the old history is " old light " that has been replaced by " new light " so they tell them it's not necessary to read the old literature. But you and I both know they are hiding things so people won't find out they've been duped. I second your comment about enjoying our freedom and helping humans authentically and unconditionally ! I'll drink to that ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• flipper
    flipper

Thought I'd bump this thread up if any hadn't seen it as it didn't receive many comments. Feel free to give your 2 cents worth ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

... 1914, 1915,... 1920,... 1930,... 1940,... 1950,... 1960,... 1970,... 1980,... 1990,... 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010....

Is this a ticking clock or a ticking time-bomb?

Me thinks Watchtower is keenly aware of it; and worried that it is the latter.

Marvin Shilmer

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Flipper, there are still nine days of 2009 left. Any day now, any day....

green

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit