Share Your Favorite Aphorisms

by Farkel 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Farkel
    Farkel

I'm a great fan of aphorisms. Zen has some of the classic ones. Here are a few I like:

“The moral consequences of doing whatever you do is that you will be the sort of person who did that.”

"It's best to ride the horse in the direction it's going."

“Respectability is a strange thing; the one virtue for which it has no use is the truth.”

“We can’t have everything both ways, and not very much one way.”

Share your favorites!

Farkel

• Robdar
    Robdar

"The smeller's the feller. "

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Wise men don't need advice; fools don't take it.

• Heaven
    Heaven

"Never walk behind an elephant"

Never Walk Behind an Elephant

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

"it is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change"

"to doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection"

"it has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues"

"the difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits"

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Born a saint, die a sinner -- born a sinner, die a saint.

Always read stuff that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.

When a thing has been said, and said well, have no scruple. Take it and copy it.

Don't explain yourself. Your enemies won't believe you, and your friends won't require it.

• changeling
    changeling

Believe nothing you hear, and only half of what you see. Mark Twain

• minimus
    minimus

Confucious say : Many men smoke but Fu Man Chu.

• changeling
    changeling
    I don`t know if God exists, but it would be better for his reputation if he didn`t.
    Jules Renard
  • changeling
    changeling

For the present, the comedy of existence has not yet "become conscious" of itself.
    For the present, we still live in the age of tragedy, the age of moralities and religions.

-- Friedrich Nietzsche

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit