"Obeying The Slave"----Only In Watchtower Land Could A "Slave" Have More Prominence

by minimus 28 Replies latest jw friends

• thetrueone
  • The Oracle
    The Oracle

LOL!

too funny thetrueone!

The Oracle

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Former Jehovah's Witness Governing Body member Raymond Franz has claimed the religion employs its interpretation of the "faithful and discreet slave" parable primarily to support the concept of centralized administrative authority in order to exercise control over members of the religion by demanding their loyalty and submission. [35] He says the "anointed" remnant claimed to comprise the "slave" class have negligible input into Watch Tower doctrine and direction, which are set by the Governing Body. [36] He claims the description of the slave in the parable as a "class" of Christians is unsupported by scripture and is used to emphasise the concept of the slave being connected to an organization, thus diminishing its application to individuals in encouraging the qualities of faith, discretion, watchfulness and individual responsibility. He argues that if the application of figures in Jesus' corresponding parables as members of a class were consistent, there would also be a "ten-mina class" and "five-mina class" relating to Luke 19:12-27 and a "many strokes class" and "few strokes class" arising from Luke 12: 47-48. [37]

Franz also argues that the Watch Tower Society and its entire body of doctrines was built on the independent Bible study of its founder, Charles Taze Russell, who neither consulted any existing "faithful and discreet slave" class for enlightenment, nor believed in the concept as currently taught by the Society. [38] He concludes: "In its efforts to deny that Jesus Christ is now dealing, or would ever deal, with individuals apart from an organization, a unique 'channel', the teaching produces an untenable position. It claims that Christ did precisely that in dealing with Russell as an individual apart from any organization." [

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

That is what happens when you change the definitions of words. They call themselves "slaves", yet they do not obey anyone. Instead, people are supposed to obey them. I don't remember any time where a slave had a master obeying him--I would call this "slave" a slavebugger.

• Mary
    Mary
    In this particular lesson, the question was asked regarding ones who have left JW's, and whether or not they've found adequette spiritual food to replace what they left behind. The answer was, "They have not, because there is none to be found!"

I believe this is the study article you're thinking of. I did the comments earlier this year and it's in paragraphs 10 and 11:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/170567/1/COMMENTS-YOU-WILL-NOT-HEAR-AT-THE-WT-STUDY-Help-Them-Return-Without-Delay

• FreeAtLast1914
    FreeAtLast1914

Minimus, this was a great point. How it eluded me I don't know, but you can bet the next time I get into a conversation about the "slave" that is so worshipped by the Dubs, I'll be sure to throw this into the ring and watch their expressions while they try to come up with another WTism to explain it.

I can't wait!

• minimus
    minimus

Free, let me know how that works,

Yup, being a slave isn't a bad thing at all. As Jeff mentioned this Slave gets all the perks one could desire.

• sir82
    sir82

Another point to ponder: If JWs are expected to obey a "slave", that makes them lower than slaves themselves. A JW should consider himself to be beneath the dignity of even a slave.

Is it any wonder that so many JWs have inferiority complexes and self-esteem issues?

• minimus
    minimus

Nuthin like twisting the scriptures, huh?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit