The bottome line (climate change)

by Simon 47 Replies latest members politics

It's Pascal's wager applied to climate change.

I support the changes we need to make.

• bohm
    bohm

Im really sorry i lost the reference, but i once read a study where two texts about climate change was laid out: One concluded that we had to begin large puplic projects to alliviate the changes, the other that we had to seek a solution through the indistry (or something like that. it was a typical republican/democrat thing). After the text, there were various questions about how convinced the reader had become of the *scientific* presentation in the text - guess what, there was a large correlation on the political views and how convincing the text felt.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

No sane person is against any of these things.

BTS

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Simon

As someone who has worked in the field of environmental protection for many years, I fail to see how taxing me (lowering my standard of living), would achieve any of the "climate summit's" goals.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

While these are laudable goals, what do we do about Anthropogenic Continental Drift? It's real, the science is settled, and it's got to be stopped before the continents all collide in a massive global cataclysm that will threaten the very existence of all of mankind.

STOP PLATE TECTONICS.

BTS

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Burn

I don't think there is any argument about the link between sun spots and global warming. Maybe man can stop sun spots.

• besty
    besty

Its strange how nobody objects to paying tax on the gas they use (which goes straight into the pockets of petro-dictatorships on the other side of the world), but mention a tax to clean up the shit left behind in their own backyard and all hell breaks loose.

• poppers
    poppers

If you want to effect real and widespread change you must start by changing the consciousness of humans. Look where the present consciousess of humans has taken us. Will "more of the same" bring about such a change? I highly doubt it.

• JWoods
    JWoods

OK, let's review the cartoon...IF the carbon limitations actually get passed (including Russia, China, and India) - and IF they should reduce CO2 to say the levels of about 1900 AD, THEN can we positively say that this (and this alone) will result in:

Energy Independence, Sustainability, Preserve Rainforests, Green Jobs, Livable Cities, Renewables, Clean Water & Air, Healthy Children, and etc. more?

That is a lot of effect for the limited and questionable cause of reducing CO2 levels by a very small percent. Especially considering the cost to the developed world.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Look where the present consciousess of humans has taken us. Will "more of the same" bring about such a change? I highly doubt it.

Poppers, we used to crap out of the window and fear bathing. We got over it. Fortunately, there have been great thinkers and tireless advocates through history who have helped us move forward. I must believe they will again prevail over greed and ignorance.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit