Pedophilia: Belgium Branch – Letter to the BOE

by Nick! 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Nick!
    Nick!

Belgium Branch – Pedophilia – Letter to the BOE

I have received recently the attached copy of a letter dated January 26 2000, which is supposed to be an official communication to all congregations in Belgium, giving instructions on how to deal with pedophilia cases.

I am interested to understand if this letter, from the Belgium branch,

a) is genuine and in case

b) has also been sent in a similar form and contents by other branches around the world in any other country and language

If so, could you please confirm, and possibly provide a copy of the similar instruction letter?

Text of the instruction letter:

…………………………………………………………………………………………

CHRISTIAN CONGREGATION OF JEHOVAH WITNESSES OF BELGIUM

SCB :SL 2000/01/26

TO ALL COLLEGES OF ELDERS AND ITINERANT OVERSEERS

Dear Brothers,

The January 1997 edition of The Watch Tower mentioned particularly disgusting behaviors in the eye of Jehovah our Creator and of his servants (Deuteronomy 23 : 18, note at the bottom of page).Our congregations count numerous children and this fact could attract individuals guilty of such behaviors.

We do appreciate your cooperation about that matter and deeply congratulate you for the care and the way you dealt with such cases. Your attention in that matter proves your deepest love for your fellow companions in faith __2 Corinthians 8 : 24.

Dealing with this subject, the January 1987 edition of The Watch Tower explained on page 28 “Even if regulations can vary from one country to another, the abuser will probably have to face a penalty such like a custodial sentence. The congregation shall in no way try to avoid him that sanction.”

This idea has again been put forward in a letter addressed to all colleges of elders and itinerant overseers dated 1 September 1998 saying page 2 « Preserving the holiness and the purity of the congregation and also protecting our children remain our main concern. Nothing will be done to prevent the sinner from the action of justice. Such principles can also be found in some human laws such as the obligation to assist endangered persons particularly our children (art 422 of the Penal Code) ». This paragraph ended saying « No one can ignore that a person guilty of sexual abuse against children also represents a danger outside the Christian community ». What do these words really mean ? Do the elders have the responsibility to report the authors of such facts to the authorities?

Serving as an elder in a congregation your main concern is to pay attention to the « congregation of God, that one which he bought with the blood of his own son » (Acts 20 : 28).

You are expected a strict confidentiality about all secrets you can be aware of as an elder in the congregation. This way of behaving is generally speaking in accordance to the regulations in our country as far as article 458 of the Penal Code says that « (…) any other person who by state or profession is guardian of secrets that have been revealed, testifying for justice and law obligation to reveal those secrets notwithstanding, will be punished (…) ».

What should be your attitude if a member of your congregation or persons attending the meetings represented a danger for the children they mix with ? The protection of endangered persons is not only a matter of legal obligation but also a matter of Christian love as referred in the 1 September 1998 letter featuring principles written in James 1 : 27, 2 : 8,9 et 4 : 17. If you happen to meet a person freely moving around, suspected of being dangerous for the children and thus representing a threat for the young people inside and out of the congregation, it would be your Christian duty to see to it and make sure the authorities in charge of the protection of children are aware of such individuals. In most cases members of the family of victims are more suitable to do that. In other cases, you might, as a Christian or as a simple citizen caring to the public well being, personally decide to report to the police about the existing danger.

Being by your side in your beautiful pastoral work, we send you, dear brothers our warmest salutations.

Your brothers

Christian congregation of Jehovah Witnesses

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

OK Here is the catch

If you happen to meet a person freely moving around, suspected of being dangerous for the children and thus representing a threat for the young people inside and out of the congregation, it would be your Christian duty to see to it and make sure the authorities in charge of the protection of children are aware of such individuals.

"a person" does not mean "a brother or sister". In WT-speak "a person" usually means a worldly person. If that doesn't get them off the hook then the next word I highlighted "suspected" gets them off the hook. If the elders meet with an accused brother or sister and there is a denial and no 2 witnesses then the person is declared innocent and therefore not "suspected".

In most cases members of the family of victims are more suitable to do that.

Another way to let them off the hook. Let the family report them. This however also would only apply to non-JW pedophiles. This would be different if the accused was a JW. In that case the rules would go like this.

1. Confront your brother
    2. If that doesn't work go to the elders who will set up a confrontation where the victim must confront his or her abuser face to face. If he denies it then case closed. The accused is declared innocent unless there are 2 or 3 witnesses to the abuse. If the accused actually admits it and is repentant then case closed.
    3. Shut up. Don't tell anyone. Since we have declared this person innocent or repentant any talk about this to anyone will result in judicial action against the victim of the family.

In other cases, you might, as a Christian or as a simple citizen caring to the public well being, personally decide to report to the police about the existing danger.

Interesting clause. Who is most likely a danger to the public well-being? A JW or a worldly person? Those few little words in WT-speak imply that the suspect is not a JW. JWs of course are never a threat to the public.

They are so good at spinning the words and there is so much left out and concealed by their doctrines. Give this letter to any official and on the surface it looks like they have a good policy. On closer inspection you can see how they can appear to be doing the right thing but what is between the lines is far more important than anything they have on the page.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

I wonder about the authenticity of the letter.

If it's addressed to Belgian congregations then why is it in English and not French?

It ends with 'Being by your side in your beautiful pastoral work...'. I have never heard JW's refer to their work as pastoral, that sounds more Christianity type of phrase.

Paul

• cantleave
    cantleave

It is a genuine letter - the same one was sent to congregations in Britain.

• Simon Morley
    Simon Morley

The letter has to be fake:

1) Communication with CO is never generally in the same letter as BOE's. WTBS commincates with CO, then CO is expected to reinforce the letter sent to the BOE separately. Often instructions to both groups are different.

2) Intinerant Overseer? - Bad translation or fake?

3) College of Elders? - smacks of RC world - college of cardinals/bishops

4) Closing line - never have I seen the words "pastoral" or "saluations" used in any WTBS communication, it tends to be fairly innocuous.

• cantleave
    cantleave

The content is genuine. I would say the "errors" are in translation .

• Nick!
    Nick!

To clarify what has been a source of potential confusion, let me tell you that I have received BOTH, the English and the French versions of the letter.

Obviously, one of them is the original and the second a translation of the first.
    Therefore, being Belgium a country where three languages are considered the national languages, viz.: Flemish, French and a kind of Dutch, the translated version is the English version.

In French, the expression "Body of Elders" is called "Collège des Anciens". This is why, the one who made the translation, who has never been a JW, translated it to his best knowledge as "College of Elders", and similarly, as in French the expression "Travelling Overseer" is "Surveillant itinerant", the translator, to his best knowledge used the expression "Itinerant overseer".

The rest of the obviously uncommon terms used within the JW movement is due to the transaltion, as in essense, these are not wrong per se, but simply different from the similar ones used in the Organization.

Having said so, I am happy to read that, according to cantleave, they have received the SAME in Britain (obviously without the transaltion errors).

cantleave, is it possible to get a copy of the letter sent by the British branch, on their original letterhead?

This would help. Thanks.

Nick!

• Nick!
    Nick!

Lady Lee,

thank you for your excellent comments!
    The same type of comments were received from both the Italian and the French forums where I am also posting.

Of course, comments on the essence of the letter are welcome, but I was more interested, at this time, in the confirmation that the same type of letter was actually sent also by other branches.

Nick!

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

sm:

Communication with CO is never generally in the same letter as BOE's

incorrect. funny how you put "never" (an absolute word) with "generally" (which allows exceptions) in the same statement.

When I was an elder I did see letters to elders that are sent out to both CO and the BOE's...either as addressed to both or with one or the other as "cc:" (carbon copy..an archaic abreviation if I ever seen one..LOL). And I did see a similar letter in the US when I was still an elder.

Snakes (Rich )

• cantleave
    cantleave

Hi Nick, (Un) Fortunately, I resigned from the BOE in November, I do have access to the Policy files anymore. I remeber the letter well because when it came out we were dealing with a case of child sexual abuse by a step father. The case was handled extremely well and the victim was encouraged to go to the police. There were restrictions placed on the accused immediately and appropriate information was disseminated to parents in the congregation.

The case went to court where the accuser was found not guilty but he was disfellowshipped on the evidence that we heard in court, despite there not being two witnesses. The CO and branch were supportive of our decision because he had a poor record of morality over many years. So sometimes the BOE's do get it right.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit