Horseshoes - baaaad

by iMARX 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• iMARX
    iMARX

Hey did anyone ever not buy items or clothes with horseshoes on because they're a symbol of luck and JWs don't believe in luck?

Hahaha i totally remember my mum seeing lovely greetings cards but as soon as she saw a horse shoe on it she would put it straight back on the shelf. The same with necklaces and bracelets. What's the deal???

• nugget
    nugget

In Uk the tradition exists that if a horseshoe is hung above a door it brings good luck. The shoe has to be hung this way U to keep the good luck inside. If the horseshoe is hung the other way up n then the good luck falls out.

As you can see the evilnous of horseshoes knows no bounds.

Bells, horseshoes, confetti, churches etc the list is endless.

• cantleave
    cantleave

w028/1DoSuperstitionsControlYourLife?

Benefits

ofKnowledgeof

God

Accurate knowledge of Jehovah and his purposes—the opposite of ignorance and superstition—is the key to gaining true protection. This is shown by the case of Jean, a man from Benin. Superstitions were deeply rooted in Jean’s family. According to superstitious tribal customs, a woman who had just given birth to a son would have to stay in a specially built hut for nine days. If she gave birth to a daughter, she would be confined to the hut for seven days.

In 1975, Jean’s wife gave birth to a good-looking baby boy, whom they named Marc. Based on their knowledge of the Bible, Jean and his wife wanted nothing to do with wicked spirits. But would they succumb to fear and the pressure to follow the superstition and have the mother stay in the hut? No—they rejected this tribal superstition.—Romans 6:16; 2 Corinthians 6:14, 15.

Did any harm come to Jean’s family? Many years have passed, and Marc is now serving as a ministerial servant in the local congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses. The whole family is happy that they did not allow superstition to influence their life and to jeopardize their spiritual welfare.—1 Corinthians 10:21, 22.

True Christians must keep the dark practices of superstition out of their life and accept the spiritual light offered by the Creator, Jehovah, and his Son, Jesus Christ. They can thus enjoy true peace of mind derived from the knowledge that they are doing what is right in the eyes of God.—John 8:32.

[Footnotes]

Names have been changed.

See the article “Does the Devil Make Us Sick?” in the September 1, 1999, Watchtower.

[Box/Picture

onpage

5]

Some

CommonSuperstitionsAroundthe

World

• Standing chopsticks in a bowl of rice is a sign of death

• Seeing an owl in the sunlight brings bad luck

• A candle going out during a ceremony means that evil spirits are nearby

• Dropping an umbrella on the floor means that there will be a murder in the house

• Putting a hat on the bed brings bad luck

• The sound of bells drives away demons

• Blowing out all the candles on a birthday cake on the first try grants a wish

• A broom against a bed allows evil spirits in the broom to cast a spell on the bed

• A black cat crossing your path means bad luck

• Dropping a fork means that a man is coming to visit

• A picture of elephants brings good luck if it faces a door

• A horseshoe over the doorway brings good luck

• Ivy growing on the house gives protection against evil

• It is bad luck to walk under a ladder

• Breaking a mirror means seven years of bad luck

• Spilling pepper means that you will have an argument with your best friend

• Spilling salt brings bad luck unless a pinch is thrown over the left shoulder

• Leaving a rocking chair rocking while empty invites demons to sit in it

• Leaving shoes upside down brings bad luck

• When someone dies, windows must be opened to let the soul out

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

What about anchors? I remember as a kid - we were poor - and someone gave us a paper sack of clothes. There were dresses and such in the bag. One of the dresses was my sisters' size and was cute and all... a pretty white dress - blue trim, etc.

But my mom didn't keep it... it had 'anchors' on it - and that was a symbol of the military (sailors). I think they tried to figure out how to cut off the buttons to keep the dress... but it was just too much work or something.

Anyway... sailor-themed dresses - and anchors - a no no.

Regards,

Jim TX

• lancelink
    lancelink

when I got married, my Mom made a photograph of us in a sort of heart - shaped frame.

One elder saw this and came right out and said in front of everyone.

"did you know that the heart shape such as in this frame has a pagan origin"?

I felt like slapping him across the head right then !

My Mom, wife to be, and sisters were all in the same room.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Bells on wedding cards too.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Bells on wedding cards too.

Yes, bells are bad because some churches have bells. Kingdom halls don't. Sounds rational to me.

W

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I guess the witlesses have their share of superstitions. Horseshoes are supposed to bring in the demons, as will all the above practices. Having a Ouija board, any other religious materials, paraphanelia from witchcraft, casting horoscopes, apostate material of any kind, "bad" music, Christmas decorations of any kind, or even worldly associations will bring in the demons. Demons also come into disaster sites--hanging around a fire will allow the demons in. You can be possessed by demons by possessing items that worldly people once had. And, if you don't go out in field circus enough or you miss too many boasting sessions, you can be attacked by a demon.

And the witlesses pride themselves of being free of superstition.

• wobble
    wobble

My Mum didn't want me to wear anything with an anchor on it JimTX, in case some wag came along and put a "W" in front.

Love

Wobble

• iMARX
    iMARX

I like your story WTWizard! I also remember an elders wife commenting on my nail art when I was about 9. I had the female and male symbols on my little finger nails ( the same symbols used on this forum to indicate whether the poster is male or female) and she glared at me stating: "Do you know what they mean???"
    So I replied: "Yes, boy and girl"

Her face did not approve!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit