Anyone here on their own found a bible most true to original language?

by EndofMysteries 22 Replies latest watchtower bible

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I am thinking of getting one for the OT and one for the NT.

The ones I have now like I mentioned are a tad "dry" for my little one and my wife.

• Farkel
    Farkel

:It shows the hebrew word, the english translation, then the phrase in it's bible.

This is a common mistake made by people who don't know what they are doing. You cannot do an accurate translation of ANYTHING using that approach. You need to thoroughly know the original language (as well as the one you are translating into), the grammar, sentence structure, verb tenses, idioms, modifiers, context of the words and a million other things to do it properly. Some words won't translate at all because there is no equivalent of the word in the target language.

It's a waste of a time for a novice.

Farkel

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

I believe I remember Leo suggesting the New Jerusalem Bible in a previous post and given her scholarly contributions here, I'd consider that translation as worthy of merit.

• minimus
    minimus

Green's

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Why Green's minimus?

• TD
    TD

To the excellent advice given by Leolaia and Doug, I would add this:

Be wary of the Concordant publishing concern and the Concordant Literal Translation.

The "Translate with a concordance" mentality is a flawed approach to translation.

• A&S
    A&S

We have a Complete Jewish Bible Translated by David H. Stern that we like . (old and new testament)

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

After being with people who have an Education on the subject..

I`m surprised Uneducated Amatures even "Pretend",they have a grasp of the subject..

.................... ...OUTLAW

• freydo
    freydo

Table 2: Comparative Accuracies of English Versions
    of the Old and New Testament

http://heraldmag.org/2009/09so_7.htm

http://www.eliyah.com/thescriptures/

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Freydo,

Those tables seem to be a tad off...

I assume it was that was one persons opinion, yes?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit