Who could be banned for life from serving as an Elder?

by JWoods 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JWoods
    JWoods

No, I didn't mean sisters. Seriously - two or three things made me think about it:

First, recent threads made it clear that several here have seen people get DFd, re-instated, and eventually become Elders.

Second, a thread about the child molester issue showed a WT of around 1997 IIRC which stated that former molesters could NEVER be given congregational priviledges. Is that still true, or just a public posture?

Third, as best I remember, back before Elders - when I was an assistant congregation servant and attended the old overseer school, I could have bet you money that we were told that a DFd and reinstated person could never be a servant in the congregation. When did this change? Could it have been at the time that the new light on disfellowshipped people got stated in around 1980 or so?

Is there really a policy on the above?

• minimus
    minimus

"apostates" could never be an elder even if they repented.

1980 sounds right.

• cantleave
    cantleave

If you have been convicted of child molestation (either by a JC or in the courts) you can not serve as an appointed man. This is one of the questions you are now asked before you can accept an appointment.

• undercover
    undercover
    If you have been convicted of child molestation (either by a JC or in the courts) you can not serve as an appointed man. This is one of the questions you are now asked before you can accept an appointment.

In theory, that's nice. But is that just 'convicted'? What about charged? What about accused of in the congregation? The WT policy for years kept pedohiles hidden from not only the rest of the congregation, but the proper authorities as well.

Even now, the elders are only required to report someone accused of abuse if the law requires it. If it doesn't, it stays confidential. And without two witnesses, the defense is deny deny deny. In time, this person could become an elder since no judicial action or legal action was taken agasint him.

• cantleave
    cantleave

It includes if you have had accusations made against you. Basically the media exposure has resulted in a very cautious approach with regard to molestation.

• blondie
    blondie

So they trust a pedophile to tell the truth?

• core
    core

A recent post pointed out that in England & Wales the Carity Commission will not permit a convicted paedophile orm fraudster to have an position in the congs.

They got quite heated as to why WT had no policy in place as I recall - now they insist that appointees are without reproach

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

In theory, nobody is banned for life. Oh sure, some known pedophiles are banned where they are known. That doesn't stop them from popping up in Heywood, Wisconsin and start studying as a whole new "Richard Hertz" that never knew "the truth."

As much as it made me nausiated to think it, I could easily go back and become an elder in less than 5 years. (Well, .....in theory. I could also bring an AK-47 to the meeting ....in theory.)

• freddo
    freddo

Raymond Franz, sadly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit